Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: what motherboard should i buy?

Fresh Paint

Default what motherboard should i buy?

Ok so i am going to be coming into some money soon so I'm needing some help getting into modding.
    the first thing I'm going to do is get my specs all picked out.

so my plan is to have two
    EVGA 01G-P3-1284-AR GeForce GTX 280 SSC Edition 1GB 512-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Cards.

and now with my desktop memory I'm wanting to know if going to 16gigs would be good?
    i was planning to get 4
    G.SKILL 2GB 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Desktop Memory Model F2-6400CL5S-2GBPQ

but my main problem is picking out a motherboard that will support all of this and also i don't know much about processors either so any help would be well appreciated.

read my comic already! (sig) xRyokenx's Avatar

Default Re: what motherboard should i buy?

I would go with a good brand such as Asus, MSI, and a few others that are out there. I am certain that the other members know more.

You need a mobo that supports SLI, and as to the RAM, I think that 8GB should be fine for now. I have 4GB and I don't even use all of that with Crysis running, and I have Crysis set almost all Very High.

EDIT: As to CPUs, a friend of mine has one of AMD's tricore CPUs and it is beastly. I would look into those.

Measure once, curse twice nevermind1534's Avatar

I just finished helping my friend with his new q6600 that we assembled yesterday. That runs great. We got it overclocked to 2.98GHz without even overvoltaging the north or south bridges. We set the CPU core voltage to 1.4, and it runs at ~32°C. He has an ASUS P5Q Pro.
    Help my mini city
    Population Industry Transport Security
    Quote Originally Posted by progbuddy View Post
    It's probably the extreme radiation from the nuclear core in your phone. Push the control rod all the way in.
    Quote Originally Posted by UrbanLegend_NY View Post
    I'm not selling it in hell I'm selling it on eBay.

ATX Mental Case

16GB is way overkill. 8GB is overkill most of the time as well, but it helps out a lot if you are using Vista which I am assuming you will be. Start with a nice 4GB kit with some low CAS then upgrade to 8GB later. BTW there are no SLI motherboards out right now that support 16GB of RAM, AFAIK.

Also, if you're going to be dropping a grand on Video cards, I hope you're using a 30" screen. Otherwise it's a waste of money. I'd go for the HD4870X2 if you're gonna be spending some serious money, you won't have to worry about multi-card solutions and micro-stutter and all of that.

For processors, a Quad-core is better for more "future-proof", but a nice fast Dual-core will be better for single-threaded apps such as gaming than a slower quad. If you do a lot of multi-tasking or video encoding than you will be wanting a Quad. Intel is pretty much dominating the Processor market right now, I highly recommend the E8400/Q6600 for price to performance.

Tell us what resolution you want to play games at, all that money for 2 280s could be better spent on other things like a water-cooling setup or a nice set of speakers and a sound card.
    E2180 (2.0ghz) | 2GB DDR2 800 Tracers | 8600GT 256mb | XFX 610i nForce mobo | Lanbox Lite
    Intel Atom 230 - 1.6ghz | 2GB DDR2-667 | 945GCLF Mini-ITX | Apex MI-100 case

Fresh Paint

Quote Originally Posted by Raz1r View Post
    16GB is way overkill. 8GB is overkill most of the time as well, but it helps out a lot if you are using Vista which I am assuming you will be. Start with a nice 4GB kit with some low CAS then upgrade to 8GB later. BTW there are no SLI motherboards out right now that support 16GB of RAM, AFAIK.

Also, if you're going to be dropping a grand on Video cards, I hope you're using a 30" screen. Otherwise it's a waste of money. I'd go for the HD4870X2 if you're gonna be spending some serious money, you won't have to worry about multi-card solutions and micro-stutter and all of that.

For processors, a Quad-core is better for more "future-proof", but a nice fast Dual-core will be better for single-threaded apps such as gaming than a slower quad. If you do a lot of multi-tasking or video encoding than you will be wanting a Quad. Intel is pretty much dominating the Processor market right now, I highly recommend the E8400/Q6600 for price to performance.

Tell us what resolution you want to play games at, all that money for 2 280s could be better spent on other things like a water-cooling setup or a nice set of speakers and a sound card.

ok to the video card thought. i was planning to do a duel monitor setup. i was planning on getting two http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16824005114 would these be ok monitors? the video cards i selected had hdmi outputs im pretty sure. so what are your thoughts on this? and my memory idea has went down to 8 gb just cause i want it.

You will still have to connect the vid card, at least to the monitors, with DVI cables, because those only have DVI input. The HDMI output just takes the sound from your soundcard, and re-directs it through the HDMI port on the video card.
    Help my mini city
    It's probably the extreme radiation from the nuclear core in your phone. Push the control rod all the way in.

go with Evga since you are using there cards, since your going top of the line in video cards, might as well with the motherboard. go with this one

nForce 790i SLI FTW DIGITAL PWM

its DDR3 memory, which i would get over DDR2...

cpu i would go with the E8600, you will get 4GHz stable for sure.

and if you want sli, that means no dual monitors. i would go with 1 30" LCD over 2x 25"
    CPU: Q6600 G0 3.5GHz@1.4v (4.2GHz max) / 4790k 4.8ghz @1.265v
    GPU: 9800GTX /GTX780 hydrocopper
    Ram: Samsung 4GB /gskill 16gb DDR3 1600
    Mobo: EVGA-NF68-A1 680i (P32) /AsRock Extreme6
    PSU: Enermax Galaxy 850Watt /EVGA 850 G2
    HDD: OCZ 120GB Vertex4, Samsung evo 840 250GB
    LCD: Samsung 32" LN32A450, Samsung 226BW 22" wide
    Sound: Logtiech Z 5500
    CPU & GPU: 3x Swiftech MCR320, 2x MCP655, MCW60 R2, Dtek Fuzion V2, 18 high speed yates @ 5v

No, there's two DVI outputs on all of Nvidia's new cards. You can only use the outputs on the first card, though, if you do SLI.
    Help my mini city

Fresh Paint

is this a good motherboard?
    Intel BOXDX38BT LGA 775 Intel X38 ATX DDR3 Intel Motherboard

if you want SLI, no you can only get Nvidia Chipset boards for SLI.
    CPU: Q6600 G0 3.5GHz@1.4v (4.2GHz max) / 4790k 4.8ghz @1.265v
    GPU: 9800GTX /GTX780 hydrocopper
    Ram: Samsung 4GB /gskill 16gb DDR3 1600
    Mobo: EVGA-NF68-A1 680i (P32) /AsRock Extreme6
    PSU: Enermax Galaxy 850Watt /EVGA 850 G2
    HDD: OCZ 120GB Vertex4, Samsung evo 840 250GB
    LCD: Samsung 32" LN32A450, Samsung 226BW 22" wide
    Sound: Logtiech Z 5500
    CPU & GPU: 3x Swiftech MCR320, 2x MCP655, MCW60 R2, Dtek Fuzion V2, 18 high speed yates @ 5v