Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Why would you buy an IPod?

read my comic already! (sig) xRyokenx's Avatar

Default Re: Why would you buy an IPod?

iCrap. The newest addition to the iFad. iCrap comes in a convenient pill form and is helpful for when all that McDonald's your cheap ass ate has clogged you up and has given you heart problems.

Disclaimer: Anyone alive, dead, comatose, or human should not take iCrap. Consult your doctor and find out if iCrap is right for you!

Water Cooled

First, I think a couple of people kind of glanced on this but nobody really said it specifically so here it is.

ITUNES IS NOT ABSOLUTELY REQUIRES TO BUY MUSIC

iPods can play any other mp3 (provided it is not DRM'ed by another propriatary store)

itunes is only a media management tool. It allows you to create your playlists and helps you organize your media. Yes, it does have an integrated itunes store where you CAN buy music. But by no means are you required to buy all your music there. I have never, in the 4 years that I have been an ipod user (several generations in between through my current 16gb iphone 3g) bought a single track from itunes. I buy all my music either on CD or other non-DRM provider. Then I simply import it into my itunes and create my playlists. Sync my pod and run. Easy breezy.

That being said, if you don't like itunes, don't use it. Set your ipod to manual management like Luke122 said earlier. Then you will see your ipod on your "my computer" just like any other external drive. I don't even think you have to have itunes running (I think there is a setting in itunes that allows you to not launch itunes when you plug in the pod).

For me, buying an ipod is a no brainer for the following reasons:

1. Fantastic customer service - I have had pods die on my before and the store was always johnny on the spot with a replacement
    2. Great product - I have seen other products and even played with several. Fact is that there are not very many other products that have the same build quality that the apple has
    3. Accessories - no other mp3 player on the market has the same range of available accessories or product integration as the ipod. Want a new case for you ipod, no problem, choose any one of these BAZILLION models. Want to play your pod through your car stereo? No problem, there are dozens of car stereos with built in integration, dozens more with optional integration.
    4. Ease of use - As I had stated before, I have played around with other MP3 players and media players. Bottom line is that most other players are quite lacking in their usability. You have to be very savvy about a lot of things to get them to do what you want them to do.

Now, I am sure anyone here probably thinks I am one of those Apple Zealots who runs around carrying around an Apple banner everywhere he goes. I am not. I am a consumer just like everyone else who is willing and able to make an unbiased opinion on a product based on first hand experiences.

I have not played with every product out there so I am sure that someone out there has seen or used something that does some of what apple does and does it better. But you will scarcely find someone who does all of them better.
    Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.
    - Unknown

read my comic already! (sig) xRyokenx's Avatar

I know that iPods are pretty decent mp3 players and all of that... I just seriously dislike their decision to market iPods as "the in thing" or something like that. Fads are annoying and this one is like any other.

Thanks for taking the time to post your thoughts, by the way.

EDIT: I also want to add in that my aunt and uncle recently got themselves each an iPhone 3G. After looking at them and seeing how useful they are I started to like them more.

Resident 100HP water-cannon operator SXRguyinMA's Avatar

thats how you sell though, look at Gap...their commercials suck something awful, just like their sense of style, but because they're "gap" they can create any trend they want. "Hey look, this or that is ugly, but we're saying its the new thing, so it is!"

I've used iPods, they're ok, but I can't help but feel they could be better. The iPod still shows Apple loves their restrictive nature .
    Antec Sonata II | Pioneer DVR-212
    Good news! You can follow my website or follow me on twitter!

Quote Originally Posted by Luke122 View Post
    I hardly consider the ability to carry my contact list, calendar, and notes, as well as file storage "useless gadgets".
    The thing is, to me, that's what PDAs and cell phones are for. My mp3 player's a two-gig Sansa, mass-storage, works brilliantly and simply with a black-and-white, blue-backlit screen - and runs for 12-15 hours off a single AAA (about 12 from a rechargeable). It's small, though thick (because of the battery) and to me, it offers a reassuring "yep, not hanging by its cord" lump in my pocket (I'm an avid cyclist, and it's light enough to support itself by its headphone jack).

iPods aren't a bad choice (except for the Shuffle)... they're okay (I've used everything except the Touch, which I can't comment on) but they don't seem exceptional.

Oh, and for the record, I do own one: an original five-gigabyte model. According to the previous owner, its battery's dead as a rock, and the headphone jack's broken... but I haven't got a FireWire cable so I can't test it for sure. If it does work, though, I plan on using it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitternacht View Post
    Everyone else had quotes, and I didn't. I figured the next funny thing I see I'd throw in my sig.
    Quote Originally Posted by Luke122 View Post
    Jon, the whole post is about building a bong that changes its own water.
    Gee, it damn sure took me long enough to find and add the origin of the first quote...

Practice random acts of generosity Omega's Avatar

if you ignore the iDouche culture, you have to admit they're pretty solid mp3 players. And if you don't want to look like an iDouche, just buy a new set of headphones, they'll be better anyways. Avoiding "shock absorbing" cases, white headphones, and those crappy "leather" cases will pretty much keep you out of the iDouche demographic. Hard cases (plastic or hard rubber) are acceptable. Hell, my iPod has a shell with a hard plastic front (it's got a mirror finish, but that's only because it was that or clear and I hate clear cases) with a hard rubber-ish back (mostly plastic but it has a layer of rubber so it doesn't slide around). Perfectly practical and not douch-ey at all.

Also: if you consider having to use iTunes to sync it a downside, don't forget to mention that oh gee, other companies do that too and it's not like Apple says "you need to use iTunes as your main media player to have an iPod". It's not a legitimate reason. The five to ten minutes you'd spend configuring, registering (it's a good idea, as in WARRANTY ONLY WORKS IF YOU REGISTER IIRC), and getting your library set up. Even with my ~50gb music collection it takes like five minutes tops. Then click sync, let it sync (minimize it or something) and go back to whatever you're doing.

God, you guys are like the people who don't like Vista just 'cause.

If you don't like the quality, feel, interface, features, whatnot, fine. If you don't like the sync program... suck it up. Don't let the sync program be a deciding factor. You'll be using that the least, ffs.

i5-3570k @ 4.40GHz // R9 380X @ 1020MHz // 2x Samsung 850 EVO SSDs // 2x 2TB HDDs
    Fractal Design Define R2 XL "Monolith"

Practice random acts of generosity Omega's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by FuzzyPlushroom View Post
    The thing is, to me, that's what PDAs and cell phones are for. My mp3 player's a two-gig Sansa, mass-storage, works brilliantly and simply with a black-and-white, blue-backlit screen - and runs for 12-15 hours off a single AAA (about 12 from a rechargeable). It's small, though thick (because of the battery) and to me, it offers a reassuring "yep, not hanging by its cord" lump in my pocket (I'm an avid cyclist, and it's light enough to support itself by its headphone jack).
    Heh. I have a Sansa e250 as my "backup" mp3 player I got when my Zen died (old 60gb creative Zen Vision:M's are badass. If you can get one... do. But don't let your friends borrow it. I got mine back in like 8 pieces. ****ing bastard didn't even help me pay for my new mp3 player). 2gb, audio, video, mic, radio, pretty nice. The interface is kinda strange at first but it's a nice mp3 player. I had headphones with a short cord so I just dangled it off of the thing. Never fell off. I still have it, too. It's a nifty little thing. Got it for $30. What a steal.

iPods aren't a bad choice (except for the Shuffle)... they're okay (I've used everything except the Touch, which I can't comment on) but they don't seem exceptional.
    I've used a Touch, and, with my huge fingers, it was a PITA. They're not topend players, but they're accessible and solid.

Oh, and for the record, I do own one: an original five-gigabyte model. According to the previous owner, its battery's dead as a rock, and the headphone jack's broken... but I haven't got a FireWire cable so I can't test it for sure. If it does work, though, I plan on using it.
    Oh hell yeah. First iPod I got was a 10gb 3rd Gen that I had for two years. That thing was a BEAST. Two years of utter abuse, I tell you. Washed it six times (as well as dried, too), stepped on twice, and the kicker, it fell off of my belt clip once and got ran over by a car. I picked it up and it was still playing music. It died two months after that with symptoms of what can only be described as hellish clicking from the HD. Talk about quality, right there. And it had an owner before that, too. God, I miss that thing.

i5-3570k @ 4.40GHz // R9 380X @ 1020MHz // 2x Samsung 850 EVO SSDs // 2x 2TB HDDs
    Fractal Design Define R2 XL "Monolith"

Quote Originally Posted by Omega View Post
    if you ignore the iDouche culture, you have to admit they're pretty solid mp3 players.

Also: if you consider having to use iTunes to sync it a downside, don't forget to mention that oh gee, other companies do that too and it's not like Apple says "you need to use iTunes as your main media player to have an iPod". It's not a legitimate reason. The five to ten minutes you'd spend configuring, registering (it's a good idea, as in WARRANTY ONLY WORKS IF YOU REGISTER IIRC), and getting your library set up. Even with my ~50gb music collection it takes like five minutes tops. Then click sync, let it sync (minimize it or something) and go back to whatever you're doing.

God, you guys are like the people who don't like Vista just 'cause.

If you don't like the quality, feel, interface, features, whatnot, fine. If you don't like the sync program... suck it up. Don't let the sync program be a deciding factor. You'll be using that the least, ffs.
    The device isn't bad, not the best there is, but it is still pricey.

Last I checked, majority of MP3 players that I've used (I've used about a dozen or so, not the zune though) don't require software to sync it. In fact, most of the MP3 players I've used have software you can install, but is not needed for the device (unless this has changed for the iPod). My sister's Creative Vision W is like that, it has software for it, but I've never needed it. I tend to hate syncing things. Also, none of the MP3 players on the market would fit my music collection.

I hate apple for multiple things, including them trying to get you to install iTunes when trying to update quicktime (unless this has changed).

Quality isn't bad, feel isn't bad, interface is pretty much the same for most devices I've played with (exception is the iTouch and iPhone, although I haven't played with them) but the fact remains, it's one of the priciest MP3 players because you're paying for that little apple logo on the device (and most accessories).

Also:
    http://news.cnet.com/8301-1023_3-100...=rss&subj=news
    Antec Sonata II | Pioneer DVR-212
    Good news! You can follow my website or follow me on twitter!

i would only buy a inpod to see if it will blend!!!!

Mary had a little lamb. It bumped into a pylon. Ten thousand volts went up its arse and turned its wool to nylon!