Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Why would you buy an IPod?

Default Why would you buy an IPod?

Ok, from where I'm standing, I can't see any benifits whatsoever from owning an ipod, so I was wondering if anyone could enlighten me as to why they're so good as opposed to owning an MP3/media Player?

Note: Because it's awesome/cool/white, etc are not legitimate reasons.

Default Re: Why would you buy an IPod?

no, there POS! just look at the picture below, it clearly shows my point.

well i can't seem to get the picture as its no longer available.

the last time i was in the market for mp3 players was a while ago, when the Creative Zen Micro (5gb, black and white) was just coming out. i grabbed one and loved it.

since then i don't care about them or use them, i have no time to listen to them as i drive now, so i listen to the car radio.

so i would say now, go with w/e creative has or the Zune.
    CPU: Q6600 G0 3.5GHz@1.4v (4.2GHz max) / 4790k 4.8ghz @1.265v
    GPU: 9800GTX /GTX780 hydrocopper
    Ram: Samsung 4GB /gskill 16gb DDR3 1600
    Mobo: EVGA-NF68-A1 680i (P32) /AsRock Extreme6
    PSU: Enermax Galaxy 850Watt /EVGA 850 G2
    HDD: OCZ 120GB Vertex4, Samsung evo 840 250GB
    LCD: Samsung 32" LN32A450, Samsung 226BW 22" wide
    Sound: Logtiech Z 5500
    CPU & GPU: 3x Swiftech MCR320, 2x MCP655, MCW60 R2, Dtek Fuzion V2, 18 high speed yates @ 5v

Have you used one? Your blind hatred of all things Apple is making you miss out.

They have a really nice interface, TONS of accessories for it, integrated store for apps, music, and video (Itunes), and a very simple navigation scheme.

The nano (which I have) is incredibly small and thin, but still packs a killer punch. Big storage, excellent screen and video quality, and the ability to carry not only music and videos, but games, and it can sync up to your calendar and contacts on your PC, to give you some PDA functionality as well.

The ipod touch has built in 802.11b/g wifi, a 3.5" screen, acclerometers to allow for movement sensitive games/apps, as well as the same features mentioned above.

Why not have a PMP capable of video/audio/games/internet, that weighs very little, has a big screen, great battery life? Dont hate it because it's an Apple, hate it because it's pricey.

\m/ d(-_-)b \m/

R9 290X+Kraken+Corsair H90, Xeon 5649@4ghz, Asus P6T-WS Pro

I think for me it all goes down the toilet with ITunes. I hate having to move something to IPod format, and only being able to do it on ONE pc. I don't understand why you would pay nearly triple what it costs for a similar item that doesn't have an apple logo on it, plus holds more data and has fucntional features other than "sleek casing and 100,000 useless add-ons".

I DO NOT HATE IT BECAUSE IT IS AN APPLE - Just want to make that clear. I simply do not understand the benifits of it over something else.

Simple EG:

my DS can play games, video files, audio files, browse the internet, has wifi, touch screen and the added bonus of RUMBLESHOCK. I can pump it up with an 8gb micro SD card no issues, and it will STILL be cheaper than an IPOD. Oh, and it has all those useless gadgets available too if you're into that sort of thing
    Last edited by Cymae; 09-29-2008 at 09:49 PM.

Practice random acts of generosity Omega's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Cymae View Post
    Ok, from where I'm standing, I can't see any benifits whatsoever from owning an ipod, so I was wondering if anyone could enlighten me as to why they're so good as opposed to owning an MP3/media Player?

Note: Because it's awesome/cool/white, etc are not legitimate reasons.
    They're decently priced (currently just over $2/gb, isn't the best but it isn't bad either), have a nice amount of features (although while the lack of a microphone and fm radio is kind of lackluster, you never really use those features often on an mp3 player that has them... at least I never did), there's a huge aftermarket support for both add-ons, interfaces (car stereo, television, radio, etc), and some mods (i have a friend who purchased a clear face for his 5th gen iPod, it looks freaking sweet), alarm clocks and more, plus the other obvious advantages that inherently come with an mp3 player... it can hold most of/all your music everywhere you go.

There are some disadvantages, I'll admit, such as no microphone or radio, right now you can only get 120gb storage, but most importantly it can only play a few limited types of audio or video files...

but regardless, they're solidly built mp3 players by a company that, as far as I have heard, doesn't hesitate to replace broken ones under warranty, and builds pretty good products. I've had mine for a few months now and I have no complaints.

i5-3570k @ 4.40GHz // R9 380X @ 1020MHz // 2x Samsung 850 EVO SSDs // 2x 2TB HDDs
    Fractal Design Define R2 XL "Monolith"

Quote Originally Posted by Cymae View Post
    I think for me it all goes down the toilet with ITunes. I hate having to move something to IPod format, and only being able to do it on ONE pc.
    MP3's import straight in, no conversion. If you rip from CD's, you can choose the format, and MP3 is one of them, so no restrictions there.

As for songs purchased in iTunes, I have no idea, as I havent bought anything on there. I rip my own CDs and all I use iTunes for is the sync to the ipod and for my free podcasts that i subscribe to. If you really have a problem with iTunes, Winamp now offers iPod support as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Cymae
    I don't understand why you would pay nearly triple what it costs for a similar item that doesn't have an apple logo on it, plus holds more data and has fucntional features other than "sleek casing and 100,000 useless add-ons".
    I have a 256mb Creative mp3 player that i got a few years ago for $100. It did exactly what it was supposed to do, and it was worth the price to me.

Creative has a 60gb Zen vision, for $329.99. Yup, more storage for less + an FM tuner. Lets see.. 1.1kg, and 4.5hrs of video playback, or 13 hrs of audio playback. Well thats not very good.. 32gb iPod touch is $399 (MSRP), and has 36hrs of audio or 7hrs of video playback, and it weighs 115g. Wow.. tha's like a 10th of the creative.

Quote Originally Posted by cymae
    my DS can play games, video files, audio files, browse the internet, has wifi, touch screen and the added bonus of RUMBLESHOCK. I can pump it up with an 8gb micro SD card no issues, and it will STILL be cheaper than an IPOD. Oh, and it has all those useless gadgets available too if you're into that sort of thing
    A nintendo DS is just plain ugly. Twice the weight of the ipod touch, has 2 - 3" screens at 256x192 resolution (touch is 480x320, 3.5"), 6-10hrs of battery life (vs 36 hrs for audio), etc.

I hardly consider the ability to carry my contact list, calendar, and notes, as well as file storage "useless gadgets".

\m/ d(-_-)b \m/

Quote Originally Posted by Luke122 View Post
    A nintendo DS is just plain ugly. Twice the weight of the ipod touch, has 2 - 3" screens at 256x192 resolution (touch is 480x320, 3.5"), 6-10hrs of battery life (vs 36 hrs for audio), etc.

I hardly consider the ability to carry my contact list, calendar, and notes, as well as file storage "useless gadgets".
    which makes that remark pointless, thats like pointing out that the DS can last several days/weeks on standby... how long will it last when playing video? i used to play my DS 2-3 hours a day and not have to charge it for at least a full week and a half. i once left it in standby for 2 weeks and it was still fine.

actual use is what counts.

also i have never owned one, obviously, but have spent a enough time with them to hate them as mush as i do with my friends ipods. i will say that i haven't tried the touch, so as far as that one is concerned i cannot fairly comment on them. my cousin dropped hers about 2-3 feet and the screen cracked. i've dropped mine at 4 feet (i'm taller) and it was ready to work for me right after i took the battery out and popped it back in.
    CPU: Q6600 G0 3.5GHz@1.4v (4.2GHz max) / 4790k 4.8ghz @1.265v
    GPU: 9800GTX /GTX780 hydrocopper
    Ram: Samsung 4GB /gskill 16gb DDR3 1600
    Mobo: EVGA-NF68-A1 680i (P32) /AsRock Extreme6
    PSU: Enermax Galaxy 850Watt /EVGA 850 G2
    HDD: OCZ 120GB Vertex4, Samsung evo 840 250GB
    LCD: Samsung 32" LN32A450, Samsung 226BW 22" wide
    Sound: Logtiech Z 5500
    CPU & GPU: 3x Swiftech MCR320, 2x MCP655, MCW60 R2, Dtek Fuzion V2, 18 high speed yates @ 5v

Quote Originally Posted by Spawn-Inc View Post
    which makes that remark pointless, thats like pointing out that the DS can last several days/weeks on standby... how long will it last when playing video? i used to play my DS 2-3 hours a day and not have to charge it for at least a full week and a half. i once left it in standby for 2 weeks and it was still fine.

actual use is what counts.
    I should clarify that those numbers are based on continuous usage, and the 36hrs of Audio = 7 hrs of video. I would say that the DS wont do 7 hrs of video on one charge, but I cant say for sure... I just pulled the specs off the respective sites (Nintendo and Apple).

My ipod nano gets ridiculous amounts of playback and standby, so the touch will probably the same.

\m/ d(-_-)b \m/

Sunshine Flavored Lollipops Zephik's Avatar

Pro's:
    • Build Quality (The way they feel and the quality of technology used to make them)
    • Playback Quality (Sound, Video, etc.)
    • Design (Exterior aesthetics/features, UI aesthetics/featuers, All around ease of use [playback buttons and etc, UI navigation, stuff like that], etc.)
    • Customer Service (My personal experience with them was above and beyond what I expected, which for the price that I paid was already pretty high.)
    • Accessories (gazillions of accessories in all shapes, sizes and prices)
    • [New] Unique Features (The new Nano's have some pretty unique features that I found intriguing. They are the only players that I know of that have those features.) [I forget what they call them though]
    Con's:
    • Price (You can get better media devices for a lower price, although I would personally say that the quality of other devices aren't always as high, or at least not as high in all aspects like iPods are)
    • Features (Not as many basic features. Most other media players have things such as an FM radio and/or an expansion slot [See Creative Zen for example])
    Basically the way that I see it is that when you buy an Apple iPod product you are buying (pretty much) a gaurunteed quality product with great customer service.

However, I would personally choose a Creative Zen or a Creative Zen X-Fi over an iPod any day of the week. More features for a much lower price tag. The only downside is the build quality doesn't "feel" as good as the iPods build quality (at least with the regular Zen anyways).
    People are stupid; given proper motivation, almost anyone will believe almost anything. Because people are stupid, they will believe a lie because they want to believe it's true, or because they are afraid it might be true. People’s heads are full of knowledge, facts, and beliefs, and most of it is false, yet they think it all true. People are stupid; they can only rarely tell the difference between a lie and the truth, and yet they are confident they can, and so are all the easier to fool.

the simplest reason why to buy an ipod? well here it is.. if ya got a older model ipod... u can put linux on it
    Quote Originally Posted by nevermind1534 View Post
    I wouldn't be surprised if somebody sigquotes part of this.