Project: LEXA FINISHED Bit-Tech MOTM Nominee October 08

Sacrificing Unto Sebek KiLLERMAN21's Avatar

Default Re: Project: Dark Carbon

Yeah, it shouldnt be, but I was just curious

Quote Originally Posted by Twigsoffury View Post
    I tape my wallet to my cat.

Does all his own stunts mittelmeier's Avatar

Looking nice. I still really like that red and it will look great on the motherboard tray.

Glad you like the red. I like it too. There will be a lot more of it!

-I had to pickup a 10" disk sander so I could continue working tonight.

Here it is. This will be used for beveling the edges of the CF sheets. and fine sanding of some of the parts.

I also picked up a resperator because that CF dust is some nasty ****!

Here you can see me sanding the back panel at a 45 deg. bevel to match the angle of the case.

And for fun, here is a shot of me. I'm smiling, can you tell?

After I got the back panel beveled, I started to test fit one of the sides that goes next to the back panel. Because I'm missing parts, I figured I'd use a different one for now. I discovered an issue that I had not thought of before.
    Can you tell what it is?

My plan is to install a hot swappable drive bay in this location. and the back panel extends past into where the drive will go. UGHHHH I'll have to cut out the back panel and part of the aluminum angle bracket. FUN! Oh well, live and learn.

Here is a shot of the drive bay itself. I've got 2 of these, but I can only use one.

I think I'm going to be forced into ordering some more CF too. The 5mm sheet is just way to thick, and honestly too short. Its exactly 24" long and I need 3 8" pieces. -That leaves no room for the kerf of the blade. So each piece would be slightly too small. Plus the thickness would cause some issues with how the outside corners join. So I think I'm going to order some CF from a different company.

So, does anyone want to buy a sheet of 5mm thick Double sided CF? 12"x24" Double sided meaning both sides are finished smooth. -Not sure how much though. I'd entertain a reasonable offer. -Come on Langer!!! You know you want it for your build!

In the mean time, I can start on the front of the case and work my way around with the 4 sides I do have. I just hope the new CF looks the same as my current 2x2 Twill does.

Later.

Project: Elegant-Li The boy 4rm oz's Avatar

Very cool, I need to get myself one of those sanders, much better than a standard block lol .
    Project: Elegant-Li *NEW*
    Project: Alpha FINISHED
    Project: LEXA Revival FINISHED

A big old Tease Apparently DonT-FeaR's Avatar

hmmm i would love ta buy that sheet it is the perfect size... but probably be broken in shipping and i dont want cf llol just like steel or alumi..... nice tho...
    Quote Originally Posted by Drum Thumper View Post
    you tease!

Quote Originally Posted by DonT-FeaR View Post
    hmmm i would love ta buy that sheet it is the perfect size... but probably be broken in shipping and i dont want cf llol just like steel or alumi..... nice tho...
    Um, I don't think this sheet would get damaged in any way during shipping. Its 5mm thick!!! Its stronger than the truck that would deliver it! LOL

Hahaha, thanks for the offer man but my Dad runs a carbon fiber manufacturing company with locations across the globe - don't get me wrong I'd love a G2S (good two sides) 5mm panel, but it just doesn't make economical sense for me. On that note however... give me a price - haha.

@Dont-Fear - Carbon Fiber is the 2nd strongest material known to man... depending on the resins and fibers used a 5mm panel wouldn't bat an eyelash at stopping a bullet. It's considerable stronger than steel, and even titanium in the right fabrication conditions... and it's a fraction of the weight. To put it into perspective this 8.5mm panel that I have is used as armor plating on the SeaWolf Nuclear Submarine (one of the most advanced subs on the planet) to help absorb torpedo and depth charge impacts; mind you it is made out of some crazy strong fibers including PEEK... I'm using it here. Dan is right, if the delivery truck were to explode on route, your package would be the only thing to survive - haha.

Project: Elegant-Li The boy 4rm oz's Avatar

Yeah CF is unbelievably strong. and light. That's why they build race cars from it lol. If you look at a busted up race car you notice that a lot of the damage is from the CF un-joining itself, not breaking.
    Project: Elegant-Li *NEW*
    Project: Alpha FINISHED
    Project: LEXA Revival FINISHED

Measure once, curse twice nevermind1534's Avatar

They make masts for some sailboats out of carbon fiber.
    Help my mini city
    Population Industry Transport Security
    Quote Originally Posted by progbuddy View Post
    It's probably the extreme radiation from the nuclear core in your phone. Push the control rod all the way in.
    Quote Originally Posted by UrbanLegend_NY View Post
    I'm not selling it in hell I'm selling it on eBay.