Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Spore - Did it deliver?

Sunshine Flavored Lollipops Zephik's Avatar

Default Spore - Did it deliver?

So what did you guys think of Spore? Has anyone bought it or played it yet?

I bought it yesterday and played it all day long, made it to the space age, got bored of it and thats where I'm at now. I'm not really sure what I think at the moment. Its a fun game, but its almost like... not fun enough? or as fun as I thought it was going to be? I think all the hype about it might of somewhat ruined the game for me. But I also think that there just wasn't enough gameplay content. Not enough to do and not enough diversity of things to do.

What do you guys think?
    People are stupid; given proper motivation, almost anyone will believe almost anything. Because people are stupid, they will believe a lie because they want to believe it's true, or because they are afraid it might be true. People’s heads are full of knowledge, facts, and beliefs, and most of it is false, yet they think it all true. People are stupid; they can only rarely tell the difference between a lie and the truth, and yet they are confident they can, and so are all the easier to fool.

Default Re: Spore - Did it deliver?

Most of the reviews I've read are saying that the game is great as an art piece, but that as a game it is so-so. I want to get it, but I'm going to wait until it's $20. My brother might get it though. I got bored with the creature creator really quick, and I never got hooked to The Sims, so I don't think this game will have me much better.

First 2 phases kick ass. 3 phase is eh. 4 phase im bogged down with texture issues so I stopped playing for a little while.

My brother just got it. I'll tell you guys my thoughts in 24 hours.

The marketing point of that game was the diversity and the open-endedness of the gameplay, watching your choices affect how the outcomes turn out. My impression was, just like any other RPG, there's an ideal set of stuff to use for each situation and no real variety. First phase, was pretty easy, there was no real reason to pick one over another or formation of body parts. I mean the way you could shape the bodies and still have them animate was awesome, but functionally I rarely saw any difference.

Second phase, you pretty much just went for the biggest attack power, because you want that as a carnivore, and as the other two, you can't stand up to the carnivores that aren't persuadable, so you end up going for highest attack also.

Civ phase, just build the car with the most guns on it possible, period. Get like a group of 5, and it doesnt matter if it takes you a year to get there, when you DO get there, they're fked. Speed is really no issue, since the shost are homing so you can't really run away once they shoot.

All in all, conceptually was great, but probably due to complexity of how hard it would be to live up to the hype, turned out pretty average.

My main gripe: Its not realistic enough.

For example: A tank with 7 weapons does the same amount of damage as a tank with 1 weapon. Also, the tank with 7 weapons isn't slower than the 1 weapon tank as it would be in the real world. Theres no "give and take". Its purely visual. Nothing really does anything and items and abilities don't stack.

Another Example: A creature with a crazy amount of attack items can be beaten by a creature with just one attack item since the stats of items don't stack. I think 5 is the maximum stat amount you can get for anything and everything? So you could have a bunch of level 5 weapons and be on the same level as a creature with only one level 5 weapon.

Also, if you have a level 3 weapon and a level 2 weapon, that doesn't add up to 5 attack. It just takes the highest rated weapon, which would be 3, and thats your attack strength, thus making the 2 item useless aside from aesthetics.

The game is very visual overall. Kind of makes it a bit boring. Don't get me wrong, its fun to design stuff, but it does get old fairly quickly.

Spore: 5/10 - Great idea, poor follow through.
    People are stupid; given proper motivation, almost anyone will believe almost anything. Because people are stupid, they will believe a lie because they want to believe it's true, or because they are afraid it might be true. People’s heads are full of knowledge, facts, and beliefs, and most of it is false, yet they think it all true. People are stupid; they can only rarely tell the difference between a lie and the truth, and yet they are confident they can, and so are all the easier to fool.

Interesting reviews. I was considering buying this game, but after reading the posts above, I think I'll save my $50 for some thing else.

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by rendermandan View Post
    Interesting reviews. I was considering buying this game, but after reading the posts above, I think I'll save my $50 for some thing else.

Thanks!
    If you can rent it or borrow it, go for it. Its worth playing, if only once, its just not worth paying.

Actually, thanks to EA's DRM, you might not even be able to borrow it? I _think_ Spore comes with a maximum of three installs, at least thats what I heard. Which also means that you probably can't rent it either. (not that you could rent PC games anyways lol) I would just Lazy Town it.

Also, I forgot to mention before, I read a few reviews about Spore being great if your a "Strategist".... I'm pretty sure they are wrong. I mean if your a young teenager, maybe. But there really is no strategy to this game. For the most part its pretty guided and there really aren't too many options to choose from.

Well anyways, the important thing is that Spore has paved a new road to travel upon in the gaming industry. I'm pretty positive that we'll see many more ripples in the pond from this one stone for quite some time before they finally die out, unless someone throws in another stone to keep the ripples going. :p

You won't be able to rent it for borrow Spore. My sister has it, but she needs to wait til a new computer before she can install it.
    Antec Sonata II | Pioneer DVR-212
    Good news! You can follow my website or follow me on twitter!

read my comic already! (sig) xRyokenx's Avatar

Hopefully it will be massively improved with patches in the future. Thing is that EA doesn't seem to patch anything very well... like with CnC3, they totally screwed up the gameplay.