Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Spore - Did it deliver?

Default Re: Spore - Did it deliver?

Okay, so it's been 24 hours and I'm actually quite happy so far. Each new phase seems to offer a little more. It's pretty fun and worth the $50, especially over going to 5-7 movies at the same price. There is a lot of replay value. For how in depth the creature creator is, the gameplay is a little shallow, but whatever. It holds my attention so I give it a 4 out of 5.

Hey guys, I changed my mind and went ahead and bought it yesterday. I installed it last night and played for a few hours. The first stage was way to short and easy. I'm currently in the the second stage, about half way through. at this pace, I'll be in outerspace in no time. -I've read some reviews that say you spend most of your time in space, so hopefully this holds true. otherwise I will probably finish it in a few days.

To be honest, I was quite disappointed. Each stage is really just doing the same thing over and over and over again to get to the next. There is always going to be a best way to do something, but in this game if you don't take that route, everything becomes far more difficult.

I've been watching the game far before the hyped was built. It had me hooked the first time I saw it, and now I am pretty disappointed. Huge sections of the original ideas for the game were chopped or "dumbed down". Originally EA stated there wouldn't be expansions as it wasn't the kind of game to do that with, and now it seems they are hoping to go that route. I guess it becomes easy to go the expansion route when you drop things from what the original game was supposed to be.

Making creatures, watching the evolution process, creating objects and such are all great fun, but the gameplay itself is nothing but a letdown, after the proofofconcept novelty of creating/evolving passes away.

And one bug to watch out for, you can only zoom out so far it seems in the creature phase (less theres a way to zoom out farther than the mouse scroll wheel), and if your creature is too tall, it turns invisible. I was making a humanoid type and by the end of that phase I evolved so they were standing straight up, and hatched, and they were invisible. Made them shorter and they went back to visible. Tried and tested several times. =(

read my comic already! (sig) xRyokenx's Avatar

@NightrainSrt4: So it is pretty much just a new version of The Sims? Hopefully they improve it with patches but EA is notorious for not actually making their patches do anything useful...

I don't think I would go as far as to say it was just a new version of The Sims, but it definitely is of a simplistic nature like The Sims.

I guess I was hoping for more of a reaction based on each choice you make, but many choices just lead to the same endpoint. Kind of hard to explain without having you play it. Its just simple, and each evolutionary choice doesn't really make much of a difference.

They will probably fix some of the bugs with patches, but I think the gameplay issue, if ever addressed, will be done through expansions.

So it's kind of like living life, lol: you die but your path is what should be remembered.

And comparing it to The Sims was the only analogy I could think of.

Hey, I just found an easter Egg. When you start the game and are looking at the universe with the worlds to create a new game or select your home world. if you Spin really fast around and around, several pictures of What look like the game creators, or just random people appear and then float away. Try it!

I come from a land down under. simon275's Avatar

I think it is a good title but the stacking thing annoyed me.
    Need a sig

I think Spore is a pretty solid game...but I don't think it can outlive The Sims franchise.
    Advertising is not permitted without prior approval - SgtM

They should have refined it a bit more and separated the bacteria and water creature phases. That would have really made it better. Another thing: Is it just me or does the creature phase really play like a simplified version of World of Warcraft?