Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dell Inspiron Mini 9

Sunshine Flavored Lollipops Zephik's Avatar

Default Dell Inspiron Mini 9

So what do you guys think about the new Dell Inspiron Mini 9? FTW? FTL? or somewhere in between?

I'm actually considering about getting the one above as soon as I get paid. Should I hold out for now for an upcoming new product or maybe consider a different current one? You guys seem to always be in the loop of things, so whats your thoughts and opinions? (Just looking for a basic setup. Web browsing, movies, pretty much stuff that you could run on any computer after the year 2000 and even some before lol)

By the way, what would you guys compare the power of this laptop to? Would it be more powerful than my old Pentium 4 @ 2.8ghz rig (with a gig of ram) or more around my old Pentium M @ 1.7ghz laptop (with half a gig of ram)? Just trying to gauge what kind of performance I would be seeing from this thing compared to my old setups.
    People are stupid; given proper motivation, almost anyone will believe almost anything. Because people are stupid, they will believe a lie because they want to believe it's true, or because they are afraid it might be true. People’s heads are full of knowledge, facts, and beliefs, and most of it is false, yet they think it all true. People are stupid; they can only rarely tell the difference between a lie and the truth, and yet they are confident they can, and so are all the easier to fool.

Water Cooled

Default Re: Dell Inspiron Mini 9

I have to admit, I am pretty curious about these too. I just don't really see myself paying much for a pc that has very limited capabilites.......then again, I did buy an iPhone. :-P
    Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.
    - Unknown

I think that this is the future of notebooks. Smaller, lighter, bigger batteries.

I havent used one of these processors yet, so I'm hesitant to say what performance would be like, but I'd be inclined to believe it would outperform your 1.7ghz laptop.

I like that it has XP, I wonder how much ram it'll take? 2gb would be sweeeeeeet.

\m/ d(-_-)b \m/

R9 290X+Kraken+Corsair H90, Xeon 5649@4ghz, Asus P6T-WS Pro

I got rid of my floppy disks Xpirate's Avatar

The mini 9 is fanless, so it should be a quiet little machine.

Over 75 Custom PC's in 20 years TheGreatSatan's Avatar

That's a really damn good price.
    WH1T3 0U7
    Modified Thermaltake View 37
    Intel 9900K, MSI Z390A, 128GB (32GB x4) GSkill Royal 3200MHz, RTX 3080 Vision, EVGA Nu Audio, 1TB Silicon Power SSD, EVGA 1300G2, ID cooling 360mm AiO, LG 3440 x 1440

Does anyone know how the payment plans work? or if I would be eligible for that or not?

Its pretty much completely new territory to me so I'm kind of drawing a blank. Do I need good credit? or any at all? Are there any kind of requirements to be able to sign up for that sort of thing?

[First time really living on my own and making my own decisions and paying for my own stuff and what-not]
    People are stupid; given proper motivation, almost anyone will believe almost anything. Because people are stupid, they will believe a lie because they want to believe it's true, or because they are afraid it might be true. People’s heads are full of knowledge, facts, and beliefs, and most of it is false, yet they think it all true. People are stupid; they can only rarely tell the difference between a lie and the truth, and yet they are confident they can, and so are all the easier to fool.

if you can i would just pay it in one shot.

i am pretty sure it can at least be on par with the 1.7GHz laptop you have if not better.
    CPU: Q6600 G0 3.5GHz@1.4v (4.2GHz max) / 4790k 4.8ghz @1.265v
    GPU: 9800GTX /GTX780 hydrocopper
    Ram: Samsung 4GB /gskill 16gb DDR3 1600
    Mobo: EVGA-NF68-A1 680i (P32) /AsRock Extreme6
    PSU: Enermax Galaxy 850Watt /EVGA 850 G2
    HDD: OCZ 120GB Vertex4, Samsung evo 840 250GB
    LCD: Samsung 32" LN32A450, Samsung 226BW 22" wide
    Sound: Logtiech Z 5500
    CPU & GPU: 3x Swiftech MCR320, 2x MCP655, MCW60 R2, Dtek Fuzion V2, 18 high speed yates @ 5v

Quote Originally Posted by Spawn-Inc View Post
    if you can i would just pay it in one shot.

i am pretty sure it can at least be on par with the 1.7GHz laptop you have if not better.
    Yea I can't pay in one shot. I wish though, that would be nice. lol

Sweet, that would be really nice. I heard it was comparable to a 2Ghz Pentium 4 or something like that.

Question: Do you guys think I'll be able to play Spore on this thing?

Practice random acts of generosity Omega's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Zephik View Post
    Does anyone know how the payment plans work? or if I would be eligible for that or not?

Its pretty much completely new territory to me so I'm kind of drawing a blank. Do I need good credit? or any at all? Are there any kind of requirements to be able to sign up for that sort of thing?

[First time really living on my own and making my own decisions and paying for my own stuff and what-not]
    I think it'd be much wiser to save up enough and buy it all in one shot. Don't finance $500 for a laptop.

If you want to build credit, however, buy it on a credit card and pay off the credit card as fast as possible (Interest means you will pay more than sticker price). It's essentially financing except you can build credit that way.

i5-3570k @ 4.40GHz // R9 380X @ 1020MHz // 2x Samsung 850 EVO SSDs // 2x 2TB HDDs
    Fractal Design Define R2 XL "Monolith"

I got rid of my floppy disks Xpirate's Avatar

I was looking forward to seeing this little mini-laptop. If I get one soon, I doubt that it will be the Dell. I use the F11 key a lot when I'm using my 1024x768 laptop to let the browser fill the screen and the Dell Mini 9 does not have an F11 or F12 key.

After reading all the reviews, I think I like the Acer Aspire One better. I would need to see them both in person to make a final judgement though.

Zephik, I would definitely just save up your $$ instead of using credit.