Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The Cost of Computers by TGS

Default The Cost of Computers by TGS

Looking back at some older magazines I'm shocked at the prices of computers. Just 10 years ago in Maximum PC's first issue features Dream Machine ’98 with a total cost of $4934. Obviously, Dream Machines are meant to shock, but the cost of the dream machine doesn’t surprise me. The column next to it features a far “better” system that is beyond insane. Here’s the craziest part of the breakdown:

450MHz Xeon - $3690
    Tyan mobo - $559
    4 x 256MB (1GB) RAM - $3100
    No Name Soundcard - $500
    2 x 9GB Hard drives - $1580
    CD-ROM - $200

Throw in the case, PSU, modem and other stuff and the total cost of this computer was $15,435!!!!

By today’s standards that is insane. You can by 1GB of RAM (the absolute best I could find ) for $185, but back then a gig of RAM was over three grand! Remember, it was only 10 years ago. The processor was $3690, but that was not unusual back then. Nowadays computers still have a relatively high cost, but when do you see a Processor for $3690? You don’t.

The 2008 Dream Machine looks kind of like this:

2008 Dream Machine Specs and Costs:

CPUs: Two QX9775's: $3000
    Memory: 8GB: $350
    PSU: 1.2KW: $530
    Motherboard: Intel D5400XS: $650
    Water Cooling: $360
    Videocards: Two ATI Radeon 4870 X2s: $1200
    Soundcard: $200
    Storage: five HD's: $1800
    Display: Gateway XHD3000: $1700

Plus everything else....For a grand total of $17,285

The chroming and stuff was ridiculous extras.

As you can see it's $690 more for the lonely Xeon and it was only $350 for 8GB of RAM instead of $3100 for 1GB off RAM.

Looking at the reviews that issue we get more surprises. The HP Pavilion 8290 cost $2898 with the CRT. What was the rating? Just a six out of ten. Next, was a better setup than the HP, so nice that Maximum PC gave it 9 out of 10. It was the Quantex (where did that company go?) QP6/400 SM-4x cost a killer $2999! Remember, these were all ugly beige boxes with very little flexibility and high prices.

In today's market you can buy a Gateway DX4710 with an Intel Quad Core Q6700, 8GB of RAM, and a 640GB Hard drive for only $750. Throw in a 22 inch LCD for another $300 and you still spend only a third of the older systems.

Another example: HP M9350F with a Quad Core AMD Phenom, 6GB of RAM, a 750GB hard drive and a GeForce 9800GT for only $1099. Throw in another 22 inch LCD and you're still hitting less than half of the older systems.

Skip ahead to Dec 2001 and the first issue of CPU Mag. The monthly challenge is to build the best Granny PC for under $800. The most expensive of the two came to $774 and featured an AMD Duron @ 750MHz, 128MB of RAM, a 20GB hard drive and a 17 inch CRT. With today's money you can get an Acer AM5641 featuring An Intel E2200, 4GB of RAM, a 320GB hard drive, and a 19 inch LCD for $640. The Acer is still a midrange system, but a much better system than you would have expected.

2001 was the time of Pentium 4's at 2.0GHz. This builder challenge came down to the competitors having to pick old crappy parts instead of newer ones. It comes down to far worse early systems with a HUGE cost and newer systems that are far more feature rich for less money comparatively.

So I ask myself, is it the cost of computers that’s going down or the value of the money?

-TGS
    "At the midpoint on the journey of life, I found myself in a dark forest, for the clear path was lost..." -Dante Alighieri

Measure once, curse twice nevermind1534's Avatar

Default Re: The Cost of Computers by TGS

Good story. The cost of parts has dropped significantly.
    Help my mini city
    Population Industry Transport Security
    Quote Originally Posted by progbuddy View Post
    It's probably the extreme radiation from the nuclear core in your phone. Push the control rod all the way in.
    Quote Originally Posted by UrbanLegend_NY View Post
    I'm not selling it in hell I'm selling it on eBay.

Carpe Apenodytes halcyonforever's Avatar

I love the title photo, when computers had 2 digit displays to show the speed (normally 33mhz or Turbo 66!)

Like a Lightning Bolt in Your Cheerios! Drum Thumper's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jdbnsn View Post

The chroming and stuff was ridiculous extras.

Agreed. This year's Dream Machine @ MaxPC had some serious bling that a lot of people feel was unwarranted. $1000 for the case (an HP Blackbird, and yes, the general public will be able to buy the case itself for a cool grand) and the aftermarket chrome application ($5000).

Throw it into a Rendermandan, Tech-Daddy, Defyant, mashie or Crimson Sky original and then you would have a true Dream Machine imo.
    Quote Originally Posted by artoodeeto View Post
    aw heck guys. We're modders. Let's just build our own, shall we?

DrumThumper.net || The Brewing Art ||
    My Flickr Stream

Over 75 Custom PC's in 20 years TheGreatSatan's Avatar

I don't get it, $5000?? Local bike shops will chrome a case for $300 to $500.
    WH1T3 0U7
    Modified Thermaltake View 37
    Intel 9900K, MSI Z390A, 128GB (32GB x4) GSkill Royal 3200MHz, RTX 3080 Vision, EVGA Nu Audio, 1TB Silicon Power SSD, EVGA 1300G2, ID cooling 360mm AiO, LG 3440 x 1440

Like a Lightning Bolt in Your Cheerios! Drum Thumper's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TheGreatSatan View Post
    I don't get it, $5000?? Local bike shops will chrome a case for $300 to $500.
    If you look at this thread, the first poster says the same thing. Must be an extra special chrome job.
    Quote Originally Posted by artoodeeto View Post
    aw heck guys. We're modders. Let's just build our own, shall we?

DrumThumper.net || The Brewing Art ||
    My Flickr Stream

Exactly. I saw this year's Dream PC, and it about loosened my bowels - you'd think, for that kind of money, they'd pick a more practical, larger case with more upgrade potential - say, a Lian Li or Silverstone. The Blackbird looks cool, but forget it - and definitely forget that plating.

A few things haven't changed much. What does a Blu-Ray drive go for today? That's about it, though - really, the biggest shock for me was the sound card then. A cheapo sound card, for $500? Some PCs had decent onboard at that point! Come on, guys.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitternacht View Post
    Everyone else had quotes, and I didn't. I figured the next funny thing I see I'd throw in my sig.
    Quote Originally Posted by Luke122 View Post
    Jon, the whole post is about building a bong that changes its own water.
    Gee, it damn sure took me long enough to find and add the origin of the first quote...

Measure once, curse twice nevermind1534's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by FuzzyPlushroom View Post
    A few things haven't changed much. What does a Blu-Ray drive go for today?
    At least they can burn, too.
    Help my mini city
    Population Industry Transport Security
    Quote Originally Posted by progbuddy View Post
    It's probably the extreme radiation from the nuclear core in your phone. Push the control rod all the way in.
    Quote Originally Posted by UrbanLegend_NY View Post
    I'm not selling it in hell I'm selling it on eBay.

Over 75 Custom PC's in 20 years TheGreatSatan's Avatar

Blu-Ray burners go for about $225 on Ebay
    WH1T3 0U7
    Modified Thermaltake View 37
    Intel 9900K, MSI Z390A, 128GB (32GB x4) GSkill Royal 3200MHz, RTX 3080 Vision, EVGA Nu Audio, 1TB Silicon Power SSD, EVGA 1300G2, ID cooling 360mm AiO, LG 3440 x 1440

It's funny, too, thinking that most of us have these parts in our junk/spare drawers.

256 MB stick of SDRAM? Got a couple in computers I need to rebuild. 9 GB HDD? One or two around. CD-ROM drive? Here, take one. Please. I have a couple ten-ream paper boxes (cases) full of 'em, dead and alive, 4x to 52x. Even got an old burner or two. Take 'em away. Hey, want a dial-up modem, too? They're great phone-cord extenders!

I have to admit, it'd be cool to go back in time and pay for your college/mortgage/retirement selling then-current PC hardware obtained for free today...
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitternacht View Post
    Everyone else had quotes, and I didn't. I figured the next funny thing I see I'd throw in my sig.
    Quote Originally Posted by Luke122 View Post
    Jon, the whole post is about building a bong that changes its own water.
    Gee, it damn sure took me long enough to find and add the origin of the first quote...