Thread: Problem With Power Supply ... Again

Overclocked

Default Problem With Power Supply ... Again

I shorted my psu so I could use it outside my computer, if you have been checking out the rookies nook recently, you will know why. Anyway, I shorted the green wire and the black one to the left of it with a switch. It means that I can turn the whole thing on and off with a low ampage rocker switch. But, when I turn it on, it powers for 3 seconds and turns off. Just enough to get the fan up to top speed, then turns off. Does it mean there is a short somewhere? Or just a bad power supply? I'm sure there are no shorts outside the psu, as I checked thoroughly.

I also brought some clear acrylic yesterday. When I got it home, I found out it was polystyrene So I'm taking it back tomorrow.

some custom title eh Cannibal23's Avatar

Default Re: Problem With Power Supply ... Again

try hooking it up with just a wire to see if the switch is causing your problem. if it works with the wire then try a diffrent switch
    - The stone knows not why the chistle cleves it
    - The steel knows not why the fire scorches it
    - When thy life is cleft and scorched
    - Curse not thine evil fate
    - Thank the builder for the trials that shape thee.

My guess is that it's shutting itself down because you're not loading it hard enough. Most newer PSUs have a minimum, as well as maximum load - usually 1 amp on each of the three main rails, or at least the 5v and 12v. Try hooking a few fans up at 7v, or an old CD drive, see if it stays on then.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitternacht View Post
    Everyone else had quotes, and I didn't. I figured the next funny thing I see I'd throw in my sig.
    Quote Originally Posted by Luke122 View Post
    Jon, the whole post is about building a bong that changes its own water.
    Gee, it damn sure took me long enough to find and add the origin of the first quote...

I think the switch is the problem,
    I really don't see the need for one unless the power supply doesn't have one.
    Usually if they are bad they make a whining noise or don't come on for more than a second. I would suggest removing the switch, checking the pins inside the molex's, and attempting to run a series of fans like FuzzyPlush has recommended.

Overclocked

Well I checked for shorts and there are none. The PSU is out of an old Windows (dare I say it) ME machine. Its about 200W I think. Wont work with a fan or with the LED's and resistors.

Oh well, I gave up this project already and moved onto my latest project. Check my signature.
    Current Mod
    AMD Athlon X2 7750 Black Edition 2.7GHz (Overclock Not Tested)
    OCZ 2x2GB DDR2 800Mhz GOLD XTC Memory
    Samsung HD502HI 500GB Hard Drive SATAII - Green Drive
    Zotac 9800GT Synergy Edition 512MB DDR3
    Artic Power 500W PSU
    Gigabyte GA-M57 SLI-S4 Rev. 2.0

Overclocked

is there a proper load on the powersupply? try puting a fan on one of the wires then try powering it up you can ruin the powersupply with out a properload the problem with a switch is once its on the load is gone..

Overclocked

I know it has been ages since I posted this thread, but I have finally figured out what the problem was. I plugged the powersupply into a motherboard while testing some 3 pin fans, and it worked. Either the power supply detected that it was being shorted, or it cut out because of not enough load, like was mentioned earlier in this thread.
    Current Mod
    AMD Athlon X2 7750 Black Edition 2.7GHz (Overclock Not Tested)
    OCZ 2x2GB DDR2 800Mhz GOLD XTC Memory
    Samsung HD502HI 500GB Hard Drive SATAII - Green Drive
    Zotac 9800GT Synergy Edition 512MB DDR3
    Artic Power 500W PSU
    Gigabyte GA-M57 SLI-S4 Rev. 2.0