Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What happens when the google car comes past your house just at the wrong moment....

Default What happens when the google car comes past your house just at the wrong moment....

Antec Sonata II | Pioneer DVR-212
    Good news! You can follow my website or follow me on twitter!

Official Wallabies Supporter Pointy_Stick's Avatar

Default Re: What happens when the google car comes past your house just at the wrong moment..

This is the first time I have used this new Google Maps and I am flabbergasted. I just went and visited my relatives house over 400 km away and it was like I was standing right in front of it. Incredible.

I am also scared. Knowing that someone drove around my town, taking photos of the places I know so well and put them on the Internet in something very close to 3D for the world to see on their computer sends chills up my spine.

And if this is the kind of detail Google, a private company, can release on the Internet for free, imagine what the US government has! It doesn't bear thinking about.

PS: How unlucky was that guy! Talk about right place, right time!
    http://img228.imageshack.us/img228/3152/siguf0.jpg

Default Re: What happens when the google car comes past your house just at the wrong moment..

The google car captured my sister taking out the trash. I have mixed feelings about what they're doing. Thier thinking is, anything outside is for the public to see.
    In a time of chimpanzees I was a monkey.

Like a Lightning Bolt in Your Cheerios! Drum Thumper's Avatar

When they get around to capturing the 59084 zip code I'll start getting worried. And I feel sorry for the family who lost their house. I wonder if they're going to press charges against google for mental distress.
    Quote Originally Posted by artoodeeto View Post
    aw heck guys. We're modders. Let's just build our own, shall we?

DrumThumper.net || The Brewing Art ||
    My Flickr Stream

Quote Originally Posted by Pointy_Stick View Post
    ... imagine what the US government has! It doesn't bear thinking about.
    The Israeli government is the one to worry about. They have worked with the US for decades on satellite technology and have the best image resolution bird in the sky. (just don't open your mail outside if you don't want anyone to be able to see it... )

Quote Originally Posted by Crimson Sky View Post
    The google car captured my sister taking out the trash. I have mixed feelings about what they're doing. Thier thinking is, anything outside is for the public to see.
    I have mixed feelings about this too. Google will distort the faces of anyone they capture, but you have to request it. In my case Google drove down a private street and we are in the process of having them remove all images from that drive... BTW: the US supreme court has ruled that anything outside on a public road IS free for anyone to capture and display. This includes your trash. Once it hits the curb, it belongs to everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by DrumThumper View Post
    I wonder if they're going to press charges against google for mental distress.
    Then they would have to include any news media that also took pictures and displayed them.
    "...Dumb all over, A little ugly on the side... "...Frank Zappa...

Official Wallabies Supporter Pointy_Stick's Avatar

If Google has any decency they'll take it down without being threatened legally. BTW, is there some sort of 'report unsuitable photo' function built into Google Maps? I'd check, but it's 1 am here and I need sleep pronto, or I'm

Quick Edit: But media have freedom of the press.
    http://img228.imageshack.us/img228/3152/siguf0.jpg

LOL

I randomly clicked a house straight south of that one, and got to see all the smoke in the background, coming up from that fire.

\m/ d(-_-)b \m/

R9 290X+Kraken+Corsair H90, Xeon 5649@4ghz, Asus P6T-WS Pro

Quote Originally Posted by Airbozo View Post
    I have mixed feelings about this too. Google will distort the faces of anyone they capture, but you have to request it. In my case Google drove down a private street and we are in the process of having them remove all images from that drive... BTW: the US supreme court has ruled that anything outside on a public road IS free for anyone to capture and display. This includes your trash. Once it hits the curb, it belongs to everyone.
    Google automatically blurs out faces in photos. My own house is on Street View but I don't mind at all.
    Antec Sonata II | Pioneer DVR-212
    Good news! You can follow my website or follow me on twitter!

All sorts of great stuff to be had here:

(See also this.)

The Street View vans haven't made it to my county yet, so I'm not too concerned.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitternacht View Post
    Everyone else had quotes, and I didn't. I figured the next funny thing I see I'd throw in my sig.
    Quote Originally Posted by Luke122 View Post
    Jon, the whole post is about building a bong that changes its own water.
    Gee, it damn sure took me long enough to find and add the origin of the first quote...

Thank goodness they haven't gotten to my area yet. I'm fine with it as long as there aren't any pictures of my family or anything. I actually found both of my uncle's houses. I think its pretty cool. That's just my opinion

Jon
    Jon

I hate HP. Yet here I am, using a HP G60 Series notebook with an HP desktop sitting at my home desk.... But the best part is that it was all free. Now slowly switching to Dell stuff!