Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Portal Speakers

ATX Mental Case The Great Destroyer's Avatar

Default Re: Portal Speakers

hmm, here's a suggestion for the speakers: get some egg-shaped ones and turn them into turrets!
    If it ain't broke, fix it 'til it is!

A big old Tease Apparently DonT-FeaR's Avatar

lol nice idea
    Quote Originally Posted by Drum Thumper View Post
    you tease!

My EL wire wasn't here when I got home yesterday. I emailed the website and asked what the heck was going on. They told me that my card had been decline (I have no clue why), and that they failed to tell me. I canceled the order and redid the whole thing.

In the mean time, I need to order the stuff for the speakers. They will be Glados eyes. It should be pretty good.

wow, that is the sweetest speaker i've ever seen! can't wait to see the finished product

I got an email back the morning after I contacted the company. Apparently my card was declined for some reason, and the job of telling me about it slipped through the cracks somewhere. I canceled that order and reordered on Aug 28. The order came today (Aug 30). The owner of the site emailed me several times and was really friendly and nice. I was going to give worldaglow a bad recommendation, but I just can't now. My card was declined and they failed to tell me. It could happen to anyone. The owner of the site said that they are really busy this time of year, as Burning Man is approaching. The customer service was really high and my order (re-order anyway) got here really fast. I'm impressed and would order from Worldaglow again.

Since my order came today, I worked hard on the Companion Cube Subwoofer for most the day. I did a number of things. First, I drybrushed a metallic gray onto the cube to give it a sheet metal sort of look. It worked pretty well and I am very satisfied with the results. It really added some depth to the gray.

I drilled holes and ran the EL wire. This is some pretty fun stuff. The pink is just right. Here is a great blurry picture of the cube in the dark. The wire is run in the grooves and holes are drilled so the wire can from one track to another on the inside on the box.

A quick mock-up with the corners on. The wire will have epoxy over it, and then the epoxy will be painted pink. The glow will show through when it is dark, just like in the game.

Here is the EL wire inverter. It will just hang like it is, but it can be removed. It is on the back, next to the sub amp.

I put epoxy in the grooves to bury the EL wire, and then painted it pink. I then added the mounted the amp and woofer. Here’s a pic of the results.

Some glue on the corners, and this is getting very close to done.

A pic of the back. You can see the amp and the inverter. I hate waiting for glue to dry.

I'm off to glue a few more pieces. Tomorrow morning I will finish and give a sound test. I'm pretty excited.

Dude I'm excited too, and it's not even mine! I bet that thing is gonna sound soooo smooth. I would recommend some nice acoustic bass and guitar to test it out.

\m/ d(-_-)b \m/

R9 290X+Kraken+Corsair H90, Xeon 5649@4ghz, Asus P6T-WS Pro

A big old Tease Apparently DonT-FeaR's Avatar

kool nice lighting effect
    Quote Originally Posted by Drum Thumper View Post
    you tease!

Default End Part 1: The Cube is Done

Although there will be more to come in the form of speakers, the Companion Cube Subwoofer is finished. I glued the last pieces last night and took some glamor shots this morning. I'll let the pics do the talking. I'll continue the other half of this project in Part 2: GlaDos Speaks with Her Eyes. The sub weighs in at just under 40lbs. It's heavy.

Last edited by d_stilgar; 09-05-2008 at 02:52 AM.

read my comic already! (sig) xRyokenx's Avatar

Wow, this is some sort of amazing.

I uploaded the videos to youtube. They are processing now, but will be watchable soon.