Thread: Some words of wisdom.

Practice random acts of generosity Omega's Avatar

Default Some words of wisdom.

I'd like to share with you all something I've been doing for a while now...

Practicing random acts of generosity. No matter how big or small, random acts of generosity (towards complete strangers especially) will almost always make that person's day. If you see somebody at the store with a lot of groceries, offer to help them take it out to their car. If you see somebody asking for change, don't hesitate to give them some (unless you don't have any, in this case I usually just tell them I have no money and apologize).

What you almost always get back in return is worth the universe to me -- to see people happy, and if you're lucky, they might just do it too. If you offer to help and they decline, most of the time they're even just happy that you offered.

Part of the reason why I like to do this so much is also because since 9/11, society has sort of clammed up. People keep to themselves most of the time. Even though I was only 11 when 9/11 happened, I remember the drastic societal changes, and this was one of them. Fact is, people are letting fear rule them and don't want to take chances. But just by offering help or giving something away for free, you can hopefully help restore America to the caring, helping society it once was (or should be, anyways).

Just my 0.0127 euros.

i5-3570k @ 4.40GHz // R9 380X @ 1020MHz // 2x Samsung 850 EVO SSDs // 2x 2TB HDDs
    Fractal Design Define R2 XL "Monolith"

Default Re: Some words of wisdom.

Nice euro joke there Omega.

I like to do simple things like that too, holding the door for someone, lend someone spare change, etc. I must have been pretty young when 9/11 happened, I dont really remember much. All I remember is watching CNN at my nan's house, and seeing all the people running away from the Twin Towers. I had nightmare's that night. Doing simple things for someone when they are in a bad mood can really make them feel better...
    Im Back Baby!
    Yeah, I just quoted Bender Bending Rodriguez, got a problem?

Carpe Apenodytes halcyonforever's Avatar

You really want to see people clam up? Put them in close quarters with a large multi ethnic group. My apartment complex is extremely diverse, in one cul-de-sac we have 16 ethnicities. 5 prominent religions. Everybody looks at each other with an aura of suspicion. Even more so at me, because my dog and I make a point to be overly friendly. I have even gone up to people and introduced myself only to be stared at and walked away from in silence.

It is a strange shift in public attitude. Maybe it's just because I am used to small towns (even though it's been 10 years since I was in a small town).

In Denver my brother had a simmilar issue in his neighborhood. He made a point of talking to his neighbors and waving at cars that passed. Slowly the whole neighborhood started doing it. (of course about 7 years later everyone moved away and it all died).

I like your actions Omega. I try to do the same thing. I have made it a point to be that person who waves at all my neighbors and I even plan block parties where all are invited. Makes for a better place to live.

Here's another example;
    A couple of weeks ago I was picking up my Mother in law, Wife and her best friend from the airport. I stopped by the flower shop and got 2 dozen roses planning on giving each of them some roses. I got to the airport early and while I was standing there waiting for them, one young couple passed by who had obviously been arguing. As they passed by, the guy looked at me and then at the roses. I could see in his face the light go off, so as they passed by I handed him a rose and did the head nod towards his GF. He smiled and took the rose and I watched him as he gave it to her. Her face totally changed and she lit up. They both were smiling the whole time they waited for their baggage. He gave me the head nod back as they were leaving. Nothing else need to be said.

Turns out that by the time the girls made it to the baggage area I only had 3 roses left. Best $$ I have spent in a while.
    "...Dumb all over, A little ugly on the side... "...Frank Zappa...

AB I did that when I was in highschool. Bought a dozen roses on vday, and handed them out to people who were sad. I think that I made more friends that day than in the whole year up to that point, and when I graduated, one of my teachers talked about that at my grad.

\m/ d(-_-)b \m/

R9 290X+Kraken+Corsair H90, Xeon 5649@4ghz, Asus P6T-WS Pro

ATX Mental Case

Quote Originally Posted by halcyonforever View Post
    You really want to see people clam up? Put them in close quarters with a large multi ethnic group.
    You obviously have not been to Canada :p

Project: Elegant-Li The boy 4rm oz's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by halcyonforever View Post
    You really want to see people clam up? Put them in close quarters with a large multi ethnic group. My apartment complex is extremely diverse, in one cul-de-sac we have 16 ethnicities. 5 prominent religions. Everybody looks at each other with an aura of suspicion. Even more so at me, because my dog and I make a point to be overly friendly. I have even gone up to people and introduced myself only to be stared at and walked away from in silence.
    Mate I live in that everyday...it's called Australia. We are a hot pot of religions and races.

I hear whot Omega is saying and it's true, it's all Karma mate, one day it'll all come back around.
    Project: Elegant-Li *NEW*
    Project: Alpha FINISHED
    Project: LEXA Revival FINISHED
    Project: LEXA FINISHED Bit-Tech MOTM Nominee October 08

Carpe Apenodytes halcyonforever's Avatar

I guess the reason it stands out here is that Oklahoma is pretty homogenous so having such a hetrogenous mix in one apartment complex is pretty out of the norm.

Stupidity feeds my children blueonblack's Avatar

I have to take time to applaud you, Omega. We need more like you, and hopefully that's just what your efforts will produce. Nice work.
    ________
    DRUGTEST
    Last edited by blueonblack; 02-24-2011 at 03:05 PM.