Thread: Using HDTV as primary laptop display

Default Using HDTV as primary laptop display

Ok, I've been driving myself crazy over this as its way too hot today.

I have an HP DV8000 with a nvidia 7400GO gpu. I have been trying to use my 32" hdtv with keyboard and mouse as my main rig is currently undergoing modding.

If I just plug in the cable and turn on both the tv and the laptop, the tv is recognized as a screen. GOOD. BUT, the second I click on the nvidia control panel icon, the tv is immediately discarded as a display, and there is absolutely no way to get it recognized as a display without restarting. Assuming I never go near the nvidia control panel, i can surf the internet/etc fine. But the second I try to load up a game, I lose the tv as a display, permanently until next reboot.

All I want to do is use the tv as the primary display, and not have anything display on the laptop screen at all. Its hot, and this is the next most powerful rig I have around atm. I can't get it to work for the life of me. And the thing that frustrates me the most is the 6-7 year old HP pentium M laptop does this all fine, but simply isn't powerful enough to game on.

Anyone know how to make it recognize the tv as the primary display? Nvidia control panel thing wants nothing to do with the hdtv at all.

Default Re: Using HDTV as primary laptop display

I finally got it to work once after 3 hours. The games had to be set prior to open up in windowed mode. If they tried to open full screen it would just freak out. For some reason though, its not always repeatable. Sometimes the gpu just freaks out and won't recognize it.

It still doesn't fix the issue of if you go anywhere near display settings, or nvidia control panel, all access to the secondary monitor disappears. Even the fn+4 stopped working ( swapped displays).

Just one more reason I hated this laptop. My old HP was a beast but this one was nothing but problems. I was trying to find a use for the damn thing, but that doesn't even seem worth the trouble.

I would see if there's an updated control panel, since I've been able to do the same thing with my XPS M1210 laptop, using the nvidia control panel.

First thing I did was attach it using a vga cable, then enabled it on the graphics properties (extend windows desktop to that display). I then opened the nvidia panel, and selected the tv as the primary, and the laptop display as secondary.

What about setting it to clone the display to both screens? Would that work for you, or do you want the laptop screen to be turned off completely?

\m/ d(-_-)b \m/

R9 290X+Kraken+Corsair H90, Xeon 5649@4ghz, Asus P6T-WS Pro

Hi, I viewed all spammers, they need to DIE.

\m/ d(-_-)b \m/

R9 290X+Kraken+Corsair H90, Xeon 5649@4ghz, Asus P6T-WS Pro

Measure once, curse twice nevermind1534's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Luke122 View Post
    Hi, I viewed all spammers, they need to DIE.
    Hey, me too!
    Help my mini city
    Population Industry Transport Security
    Quote Originally Posted by progbuddy View Post
    It's probably the extreme radiation from the nuclear core in your phone. Push the control rod all the way in.
    Quote Originally Posted by UrbanLegend_NY View Post
    I'm not selling it in hell I'm selling it on eBay.