Page 11 of 18 FirstFirst ... 678910111213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: Project: Rockin Case

Default Re: Project: Rockin Case

Wow, I can;t believe I've never looked at this project before. This case is going to be real unique, and definitely cool.
    In Progress An Updated (Mac) Classic
    Completed Performa, BOX
    Hiatus Highrise
    Upcoming NightShift
    Cancelled Dell XPS, Framed, Busy

Resident 100HP water-cannon operator SXRguyinMA's Avatar

thanks

Nice job on the PSU. Gonna look great.
    Quote Originally Posted by SXRguyinMA View Post
    Now, off to the basement to do some fiddling with the rods and such.
    so far left of center i'm in right field

thanks

alright, I got a bunch of stuff done between yesterday and today, I should be able to post up the pics in teh next day or two

I had this PCI slot adapter with firewire and USB in it, trouble is I only wanted the USB part. so I cut it in half

after I cut it I removed the USB connector and pulled the parts out of the housing

then I painted it black

then reassembled it and sleeved the wiring and put the connector back on

now I just need to decide where to mount it on the front panel

I sanded down the sides where the neck meets the head, as it didnt sit exactly in line when I clamped it. this is after I rough sanded and finished with 2000 grit. I polished it with the dremel after this, but no pics yet.

I also got the PSU case mounted to the backplate. I'm using these neat plastic liscense plate screws because they just touch the bottom of the PSU board

and heres how everything will be layed out

I then decided to go ahead and mark and cut the hole for the 120mm fan. I LOVE the dremel circle-cutter attatchment!

fan in

I also went ahead and sanded and polished the opening

at this point I clamped the neck assembly to the body to see how it all looked. looks nice

then I marked holes for two 80mm fans I'll be putting in

one cut

both cut

I also sanded and polished these edges as well.

I temporarily installed the fans with the vibration dampers to test them and see how bright the LEDs are

and hooked up to a test PSU

the LEDs are way too bright. I'm going to wire them all to a single switch so you'll be able to turn the LEDs off without turning the fans off. I'm also going to cut and resolder the wiring all together and sleeve it to make it look nicer.

I was thinkingabout replacing the green LEDs with UV ones. I can do it easily in the 120mm fan, but the 80mm ones have the micro SMD style LEDs soldered to a long flexible strip, so those would be tougher. We'll see what happens.

thats it for now, I should get a lot more work done on sunday and monday

Comments/Ideas/Suggestions?

ATX Mental Case

Nice project, SXR.

I'm enjoying watching each step as the gee-tar comes together. The carbon fiber work particularly interests me as I'll need to make a custom top shell for my Cosmos. I haven't decided to use that or plastic yet. But it's nice to see some of it in action all the same.

Keep up the good work.

alright I just placed an order with performance pcs for the rest of the goodies. my LEDs and such should be here monday, so hopefully I can get more done next week

Update time!

I figuredout how to wire up a switch to the three fans to turn off the LEDs. The 80mm ones were easy, the 120mm one was a little more difficult.

fans on lights off

fan on lights on

almost finished wiring

wiring for the 120mm fan

the 80mm fans will be on all the time, hooked directly to the PSU. the 120mm fan will be connected to a speed control, because its loud when all 12V are going into it

I also cut my 24x24 inch sheet of green into 4 6x24 inch pieces. these will form the sides of the case. I've got a couple ideas as for how to form them perfectly, we'll see what works out

I also cut a hole for the front panel USB connectors. I filed it down and smoothed it a lot more after this pic was taken.

I also drilled 5 holes to mount the RBG LED controller. 4 for the mounting and 1 for acess to the button. I plan on gluing a small piece of acrylic rod to the button that will stick through the faceplate so the LED effects can be changed easily

I also had time to mount another 80mm fan on the main plate where the HDD will go to act as a cooler. I just snipped the LED wires on this one, as it will be mounted to the underside of the case and theres no point to having the green LEDs there, as the rainbow ones will be there.

thats it for now. hopefully my LEDs come in today and I can get some more work done. Then its just waiting for my performace pcs order to arrive and things will get rollin!