Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Happy 4th of July!

Measure once, curse twice nevermind1534's Avatar

Default Re: Happy 4th of July!

Quote Originally Posted by Quakken View Post
    $1000? That's like, a lot.

Weren't there any shows around there, you know, like free ones where they have real fireworks?

But that must have been pretty awesome, lighting fireworks all night long, pretty much.

I went to the local show, to hear the big booms and see the big balls of light thrown into the sky by the city of loveland.
    I didn't spend $1,000, but some of the other people nearby spend that, or more. There are lots of real fireworks that shoot up in the air there, though. I only spent maybe around $25 lol.

read my comic already! (sig) xRyokenx's Avatar

I didn't spend anything on fireworks... they're illegal here in NY, possibly because some ass blew his hand off or hurt himself somehow. Stupid is as stupid does, and everyone else pays for it. lol

I love fireworks though, next year maybe. We'll see where I am.

EDIT: And as a response to jd's post... I'm hoping that everyone figures out what's going on and we all straighten this mess of a country out, as I think we're going to need a revolution if stuff gets worse. ...just my views though. This whole mess scares me.

Measure once, curse twice nevermind1534's Avatar

Bush is really kissing China's ass. It doesn't really look like Obama or McCain would really be much better about it. Obama wants to open up talks with Iran. Yeah, that will really make them feel isolated. Neither one of them wants to do anything about outsourcing. I don't think we need a revolution, but in my opinion, somebody without ties to any parties, or companies would be the best.

Is awesome

What can we do? China owns us. It's the bad economics that are the base of it. Sure, we all hate taxes. But the government debt to other countries like china isn't going to go away by itself, and the stupid government will just keep printing money, driving the value lower and lower and lower, while prices continue to rise anyway.

On the revolution note- Never, EVER, let the government take away your guns. ever. They know we can hurt them, and that's the only thing that can keep them in check if it does all go to pot (or someone invades).
    You love my sig.

I was referring to more internal issues regarding the lowering of standards of our conduct on the world stage such as...

-the replacement of reason with religious ideology (e.g. many school teachers are outright banned, or are intimidated into avoiding the topic of evolution in the education of our children)

-religious ideology being the foundation of law making decisions (sexual preference denotes your class of citizenship and your rights to legitimize your love of another)

-hurling our standards back about 1000 years by implementing torture into our list of approved methods of investigation (prior to the open legitimacy of water-boarding, Muslim "suspects" were deported to countries who to this day practice barbaric methods of extracting testimonies such as Saudi Arabia, Syria, Egypt, etc...)

-opening of exclusive detention centers which are geographically isolated from our pesky human rights laws, completely devoid of legal representation, communication to the press and religious freedom, and far from prying eyes to conduct so far 7 years of interrogation of suspects many of whom were arrested without probable cause, with absolutely no rights to appeal to outside authority

-the out-sourcing of the more non Geneva-convention approved duties to privatized combat forces to keep our military's hands clean while still having the luxury of operating outside the internationally agreed upon rules of engagement.

-the haste with which we have recently waged war despite glaring lack of evidence to support our charges, and with total lack of regard to the opinion of the United Nations of which we are a member and in theory are supposed to seek their council for a multilateral method of disarming threats to world peace in order to lessen the likelihood that the war will trigger world war III

-add to the mix a president who is a religious zealot who believes he is on a mission from God and...

-well, actually, the list goes on and on, I could type for hours but it just gets me fumed. The simple fact of the matter is these are American problems. As Americans, it is our duty to rise and demand that our leaders conduct our international affairs in a manner that we approve of. That is the theory behind a civilian controlled military where only Congress is supposed to have the right to declare war, not the commander in chief. But when Congress is foolish enough and short sighted enough to hand over it's power in what is described as an "emergency", the commander in chief wields the power of an emperor, nothing less. I know we can do better than this!

Now watch me get banned by the moderators....eek
    "At the midpoint on the journey of life, I found myself in a dark forest, for the clear path was lost..." -Dante Alighieri

Is awesome

I know that this is quickly eroding into a "things wrong with our country" debate, but hey- I'm all for sharing my opinions.

I'm going to start with your last point- Has congress not seen star wars? Giving any more power to any individual branch than what was originally intended is not a good idea.. This includes letting a president get off with an illegal war (i'm talkin' to you, judicial branch).

I think that religion shouldn't play hardly any role in politics. I'm very religious. I have a strong testimony in my church and I wouldn't revoke my belief in christ if there was a gun to my head (think of the god-points THAT would get you when you reach the proverbial pearly gates). But that's just me. Religious values shouldn't play in how a country makes their laws. Sure, I think that being homosexual is a choice that you consciously make, I don't care if you want to have sex with other men (or women if you are of the finer sex). You should be granted all of the rights of a marriage. I'm taught that I should love all of god's creation, even if I believe they're committing sin.

Torture is torture, and habeas corpus is an inalienable right. The government isn't allowed to put people away indefinitely if they think they're a terrorist. Give them a trial. Stop putting people in A prison off of american soil so you can stop giving them their rights and torture them. You wouldn't let us put our money in an off shore account so we don't have to obey the laws, why should we let you put people in an off shore prison so you don't have to give them a trial? Hypocrites.

We all know the problems the current administration (and beyond) has presented. Maybe now we can finally do something about it?

Too bad the citizens don't actually have any power other than voting for someone who presents them self like they can. A revolution just might happen. Just make sure you keep your guns.
    You love my sig.

Resident 100HP water-cannon operator SXRguyinMA's Avatar

Happy belated 4th to all! I didnt doo to much - drank a lot and had some fun drunken Halo 3 multiplayer lol

Like a Lightning Bolt in Your Cheerios! Drum Thumper's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SXRguyinMA View Post
    Happy belated 4th to all! I didnt doo to much - drank a lot and had some fun drunken Halo 3 multiplayer lol
    Drinking and virtual driving. Good choice--the only thing you might kill is pixels!
    Quote Originally Posted by artoodeeto View Post
    aw heck guys. We're modders. Let's just build our own, shall we?

DrumThumper.net || The Brewing Art ||
    My Flickr Stream

Is awesome

Have you ever seen that thing where that guy tested getting drunk in GTA4 and then driving vs getting drunk in real life and driving in GTA4? It's pretty funny, turns out it's harder to get drunk in the game and drive.
    You love my sig.

Resident 100HP water-cannon operator SXRguyinMA's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DrumThumper View Post
    Drinking and virtual driving. Good choice--the only thing you might kill is pixels!
    lol true. I was pretty good a sniping while trashed though...

didnt do much driving though...mostly gatling gun while someone else was driving