Thread: Starting a business, Need some help

I mod everything I touch. Indybird's Avatar

Default Starting a business, Need some help

Hey TBCS,
    Me and my friend are going to be starting our own local computer business, called Pointe Computer Tech. We will be building custom computers, doing computer repair, setting up networks, and upgrading PCs. Heres where we need help: We need a laptop to run our business on. We need it to do various tasks such as, keep business records, customize a customers computer, and setup up wireless only networks.

We are on a very tight budget right now and can't afford anything really over $50. So I come to you all asking:
    Does anyone have a Windows-XP capable laptop they'd be willing to give away (I'd pay for shipping), or sell for cheap on ebay?

Any help is greatly appreciated,
    Thanks,
    Indybird

Measure once, curse twice nevermind1534's Avatar

Default Re: Starting a business, Need some help

I have a laptop with a Pentium, two with Pentium MMXs, and two (one broken and one working) with a Pentium 2, but that probably wouldn't help you.

Quote Originally Posted by nevermind1534 View Post
    I have a laptop with a Pentium, two with Pentium MMXs, and two (one broken and one working) with a Pentium 2, but that probably wouldn't help you.
    I appreciate the offers, but I do need something that can run Windows XP.

Thanks,
    Indybird

advice would be to hold off opening the business until you can afford the necessities to begin with.
    how will you pay for materials/parts for each job? ask the customers to pay in advance when they have no form of collateral at all and you will have thier money and PC's?
    better off waiting until you have a bit of income to sit on and start the actual work or it will go under at the first sign of trouble.(ie: you upgrade someones PC and the unthinkable happens and you pop another part on it by accident) you cant pass it on to the customer as you will soon find you have none.

I have to agree with Cobra on this one. When planning a business.... plan for the worst.
    Antec Sonata II | Pioneer DVR-212
    Good news! You can follow my website or follow me on twitter!

Quote Originally Posted by Cobra View Post
    advice would be to hold off opening the business until you can afford the necessities to begin with.
    how will you pay for materials/parts for each job? ask the customers to pay in advance when they have no form of collateral at all and you will have thier money and PC's?
    better off waiting until you have a bit of income to sit on and start the actual work or it will go under at the first sign of trouble.(ie: you upgrade someones PC and the unthinkable happens and you pop another part on it by accident) you cant pass it on to the customer as you will soon find you have none.
    We have enough for that, but we don't want to touch that buying a laptop. We have enough to buy parts in advance, buy the hats, business cell phone, business license, and business cards (I might be missing something we're getting, I don't have the official list). Thanks for the concern.

Thanks,
    Indybird