Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Desktop Window

Default Desktop Window

Well, it all started when I went and got a P3 computer for $25. However, unlike most cases that I've seen modded, this one's lying on its side, old school style. So, I thought of putting a window on the side that faces up, just to look cool, however, the cover is much like a power supply, where 3 sides are all connected together. So I was wondering if anyone had ever put a window in one of these kind of computers, and what I should do to get it to work.

It pretty much looks like this: http://www.tomsvariety.com/images/bo...on/desktop.jpg but I'll probably take some pictures of it soon.

Also, something I really didnt want to do, but I could, is just make the whole top acrylic and rivet the sides down, so it becomes something like a top panel. But the window would be alot cooler, I think.

High-tech Redneck crazybillybob's Avatar

Default Re: Desktop Window

Frogggy,
    Welcome aboard!
    You can do it!
    While the one peice case is a bit of a pain cutting a window in it can be done. You just need to know where all the mounting points are for the cover. Just don't cut off any of the eins that hold the case to the frame (if it has them...dif. models have dif. locking mech.)

Get some pics of the cover (fornt & back) and of the frame umder ths cover.
    Also draw the out line of the window you want on the cover ....Then you see allot of Idea's here.

Crazybillybob

Here's some images:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v9...3casecover.jpg
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v9...asenocover.jpg

those little clippy things go underneath that metal lip at the front of the case, so that means I can cut everything else off right? : ) There are some holes cut in the cover on the side where that metal rod is, but other than that the cover is one flat sheet.

I actually have another question now, you know those covers that go on the back of the computer that have the openings for the motherboard things like USB, mouse, keyboard, ect, what happens if I... lost mine? I replaced the motherboard in there with another P3, but I dont have that cover thing...

Quote Originally Posted by Frogon

I actually have another question now, you know those covers that go on the back of the computer that have the openings for the motherboard things like USB, mouse, keyboard, ect, what happens if I... lost mine? I replaced the motherboard in there with another P3, but I dont have that cover thing...

thats the I/O (input/output) panel or bezel. If you cant find a replacement for it--you can be adventurous and make your own. Simply take a sheet of white paper, tape it over the motherboard, and make a gentle pencil rubbing of all the inputs/outputs. You now have a perfect template to transfer the markings to say, a piece of plexiglass or scrap plastic--or even aluminum
    In a time of chimpanzees I was a monkey.

Thanks man! I looked at the one that was in there before, and its pretty close, it just has the audio input things set up differently, so I could just chop off what doesnt fit for now, and then later get something to fit and just shove it on.

ATX Mental Case

Quote Originally Posted by Crimson Sky
    thats the I/O (input/output) panel or bezel. If you cant find a replacement for it--you can be adventurous and make your own. Simply take a sheet of white paper, tape it over the motherboard, and make a gentle pencil rubbing of all the inputs/outputs. You now have a perfect template to transfer the markings to say, a piece of plexiglass or scrap plastic--or even aluminum
    That's actually a really good idea... thanks Crimson!

:omg: Ooooo the things I would/could do to that case

good luck looks like a great mod case lots of extra room to work with.

yea, can't see it to well but if it's standard ATX P3 prob is, don't think there were many P3 babyAT comps (if any at all) and

If you ever swap the mobo, the new mobo will come with a replacment I/O shield (more common name though cover or bezel won't get you dumb looks from people) as they are not "standard" anymore and are custom per mobo now-a-days.

If you want to make your own do like Crimson said, you can hold it on with the hex screws/sockets by taking them off with a nut driver.
    -Gutte
    No, I'm not a compleate Idiot!
    Some parts are missing.

Since is the same computer, I'll use the same thread...

Since I'll have a giant window, I'll need some sweet lighting, so here's what I was thinking: I'd have a switch with 3 options, off, on, crazy. They'd probably be just a jumble of LEDs placed around the case. For "crazy" I was thinking of having the lights basically all become strobe lights and flash really fast. I pretty much have no experience with any kind of electricity, but I remember I did use a soldering iron a long time ago.. Anyway, is there an easy way I could set it up, or would it just be easier to have the "crazy" on a different circuit?

I have this odd plan of somehow making an air duct out of PVC pipe that leads to the heatsink. I first thought about having it come from the front, however the only way that could work is if it went over the entire motherboard, which would mean I couldn't have any cards plugged in, so that got scrapped. Then I thought about having it come in from the back, right above the I\O panel. Since there isnt much space to put a fan, I thought about putting two smaller fans, maybe 60mms or something about that size in, then getting one of those Y shaped PVC pipe and connecting them. However, I've never worked with PVC pipe like this before, but I think it'd look pretty sweet...

Blinking LEDs is easy
    All depends how many you want to be able to blink and how random you want them blinking, more info and I'll hook you with a quick easy schematic you can build a circuit from.
    -Gutte
    No, I'm not a compleate Idiot!
    Some parts are missing.

Well.. can I get them to really randomly blink, maybe every half second or so? Its kinda hard to guess how long since it also depends on how many LEDs I use, which depend on how much they light up... I was thinking maybe around 8 white LEDs for the flashing. They'd probably just be placed around where the window is so you they'd shoot light into the viewing area. Basically, I figure I can put like, 8 yellows and 8 purple LEDs which would be the main lights, and then for "crazy" I think I want maybe 2 purple and 2 yellow LEDs so there's still some light, but then 8 white LEDs for the flashyness, so they still way overpower the other colors. Mainly, I dont want them all flashing at the same time. If they went off once a second, and kind of randomly, that'd leave some space for it to get dark again. So, basically, I just want them all to flash at different times, and have each LED go off around every second. Unless you think thats way too much light\fast for a computer case, I've never done any of this so I'm just kinda guessing here.