Thread: Cooling problems

ATX Mental Case Cookies N' Milk's Avatar

Default Cooling problems

I have a rather annoying cooling issue with my workstation. The CPUs and graphics card are all idling at 65-70C. I don't know why the temps are so high but it is really bothering me. When ever I render something the CPU temps spike to 85ish, which makes me freak out. I am going to put water cooling on but that won't fix the graphic card temps since there are no water blocks that will fit the FireGL V8650.

Does anyone have some solutions to the graphic card? Also if I do water cooling would it be worth using a TEC cooling system on the processors?
    Current Project: Resistance
    My New Super Sexy WorkStation Specs:
    2x Intel Quad-Core Xeon E5420 2.5GHz 12MB Cache @ 3.0GHz, 4x2GB Kingston FB-DIMM 800MHz ECC, Intel SkullTrail Board, 4x WD Raptor 74GB HardDrives in Raid 0, 2x Seagate 320GB HardDrives, ATI FireGL V8650-Switched back to an 8800GT for now cause of driver problems, ThermalTake ToughPower 1200Watt PSU, Blackmagic Intensity Pro Capture Card

Default Re: Cooling problems

Sounds like you do not have enough airflow through the case. My room temp is 24 degrees C, my CPU cores are running between 27 - 33 C and my GPU which is fanless is running at 52C

My solution would be to try and blow some more hot air out of the case and draw some cold air in at the bottom. Try ducting the air from the processor out or drawing it out with a well placed fan. I would expect to see at least a 20 degree C drop if you cool the case properly though that depends on yr ambient room temperature.

CrazyB

Where the hell is the "any" key? HackSore's Avatar

CB's advice is sound, get as much air moving through the case as possible!!

If the temps are still high with intake fans at the front and exaust fans at the back, depending on the position of your box, maybe try putting a couple of fans in the side panel for some direct air over the card and cpu areas.
    If the temps in the room arent that high, watercooling may be overkill (but dont quote me on that!), unless you are overclocking or worrying about noise, then chances are you will get more then enough cooling from a decent airflow setup.

Also, depending on the age of the system, replacing the thermal paste with something a bit more heavy duty might be an idea.

i wouldn't bother with a TEC for a workstation computer and you could always add one later if you still don't like temps. you will need a good power supply if you want to use a tec or a second one for it.

i sent off a email to swiftech to find out if there MCW60 would fit a fireGL block.

Happy Birthday BTW!
    CPU: Q6600 G0 3.5GHz@1.4v (4.2GHz max) / 4790k 4.8ghz @1.265v
    GPU: 9800GTX /GTX780 hydrocopper
    Ram: Samsung 4GB /gskill 16gb DDR3 1600
    Mobo: EVGA-NF68-A1 680i (P32) /AsRock Extreme6
    PSU: Enermax Galaxy 850Watt /EVGA 850 G2
    HDD: OCZ 120GB Vertex4, Samsung evo 840 250GB
    LCD: Samsung 32" LN32A450, Samsung 226BW 22" wide
    Sound: Logtiech Z 5500
    CPU & GPU: 3x Swiftech MCR320, 2x MCP655, MCW60 R2, Dtek Fuzion V2, 18 high speed yates @ 5v

ATX Mental Case Cookies N' Milk's Avatar

I figured out the problem. It turns out that it is airflow. My graphics card is so long that it creates a barrier between the front intake and everything else in the case. Processors are now down to 40C at load which is where they should be. I've pulled the FireGL and swapped it for an 8800GT for now until I can figure out what to do about it.

Anyone got any ideas? As it sits now I got a foot long three grand card sitting on my desk not being used
    Current Project: Resistance
    My New Super Sexy WorkStation Specs:
    2x Intel Quad-Core Xeon E5420 2.5GHz 12MB Cache @ 3.0GHz, 4x2GB Kingston FB-DIMM 800MHz ECC, Intel SkullTrail Board, 4x WD Raptor 74GB HardDrives in Raid 0, 2x Seagate 320GB HardDrives, ATI FireGL V8650-Switched back to an 8800GT for now cause of driver problems, ThermalTake ToughPower 1200Watt PSU, Blackmagic Intensity Pro Capture Card

Quote Originally Posted by Cookies N' Milk View Post
    I figured out the problem. It turns out that it is airflow. My graphics card is so long that it creates a barrier between the front intake and everything else in the case. Processors are now down to 40C at load which is where they should be. I've pulled the FireGL and swapped it for an 8800GT for now until I can figure out what to do about it.

Anyone got any ideas? As it sits now I got a foot long three grand card sitting on my desk not being used
    I would place the air intake fan at the base of the case (horizontal) for cool air - this might include creating holes in the base- and the output fan high up near the back. This will push/draw air around the mobo, PCI cards and reinforce - as opposed to going against - the airflow of the powerpack, if its a normal configuration inside the box.

said it was airflow

Crazy

Measure once, curse twice nevermind1534's Avatar

You could also put fans blowing air upward in whatever space is left around the card.

Get a drive bay fan or two.

Find out wether or not the fireGL uses refrence holes for heatsinc mounting. If so, almost any WC block will fit. If not, find a block which has a simple bracket system and duplicate it with proper mounting holes.