Thread: What the heck??

Sunshine Flavored Lollipops Zephik's Avatar

Default What the heck??

Whenever I open more than like three different pages in FireFox (like myspace for example) my CPU jumps up to 100 percent usage and everything either freezes or becomes really really slow. Does anyone know what might give?

1.6Ghz Pentium M
    Radeon Mobile 9700
    512MB RAM
    Ubuntu Hardy Heron
    FireFox 3 - Not sure which version

Can Ubuntu get viruses or something like that? Because this isn't making much sense to me. I used to be able to open at least 10 different tabs (gotta love those digg stories lol) in FireFox without it even slowing down all that much.

By the way, I'm monitoring my network usage as well as my cpu usage and it seems to be only the cpu that jumps up. Even when my network usage is flat lining, my cpu will be maxed out for some reason. Even after all the pages are finished loading and what-not it sometimes continues being super laggy or just plain freezes up on me.

Anyone know whats going on here??
    People are stupid; given proper motivation, almost anyone will believe almost anything. Because people are stupid, they will believe a lie because they want to believe it's true, or because they are afraid it might be true. People’s heads are full of knowledge, facts, and beliefs, and most of it is false, yet they think it all true. People are stupid; they can only rarely tell the difference between a lie and the truth, and yet they are confident they can, and so are all the easier to fool.

Default Re: What the heck??

Just noticed this as well...

Just scrolling here through the forums it uses around 30 percent of my cpu. Seems a bit off if you ask me? I would hate to browse an actual worklog. lol
    People are stupid; given proper motivation, almost anyone will believe almost anything. Because people are stupid, they will believe a lie because they want to believe it's true, or because they are afraid it might be true. People’s heads are full of knowledge, facts, and beliefs, and most of it is false, yet they think it all true. People are stupid; they can only rarely tell the difference between a lie and the truth, and yet they are confident they can, and so are all the easier to fool.

Update to Firefox 3 Do Sudo apt get autoremove to clean up any old programs. Search the support forums, use your googlefoo search for firefox multiple tabs cpu freeze or something and go from there.

CrazyB

ps Thanks for all the

Quote Originally Posted by Crazy Buddhist View Post
    Update to Firefox 3 Do Sudo apt get autoremove to clean up any old programs.

Search the support forums, use your googlefoo.

Search for firefox multiple tabs cpu freeze or something and go from there.
    Currently using FireFox 3, maybe it needs an update? I don't suppose there is a code for that to use in Terminal is there? (I wasn't expecting it to work, but I tried the code you gave me and it just gave me an error.)

Well, I could search for something like that. But I suppose if everyone did that, then there would be no results to search for now would there?

I was only asking on the off chance that someone might be having the same problem or might know whats up off the back of their hand. I've had similar issues in the past, but that was using Windows and I think it was due to a virus or some kind of thing like that. Can Ubuntu get viruses or spyware or anything like that?

virusus: maybe and increasingly likely. If you use the add programs you will find free firewall and antivirus software so why not use them?

CB

I've thought of something that may or may not help.

Is it possible to make FireFox use HDD space instead of RAM space for cache? Does that even make sense or am I somewhere in lala land right now? lol

It just seems like when I clear the cache it gives me a small boost of improvement, so maybe having more space available for the cache would help resolve having to clear the cache once or twice a day. (although clearing the cache doesn't solve the freezing or the grinding to a stop that still happens from time to time)

Anodized

Hey

Just look out on web for that...
    http://jasondclinton.livejournal.com/66509.html
    http://shaver.off.net/diary/2008/05/...nd-curveballs/

It's realy pitty that browser with linux roots has problem on it's owns ground :/.

Peace

Code:
    ar -r God

ATX Mental Case

Switch browsers. Opera is great, Flock is also good. I use Kazekahase, but I realize it's not exactly for everyone.

Firefox is quite a vulnerable program now that it has gained a substantial market share. It seems to be bloated as well. I use to use it around 1.5 and it was great, but I started getting random crashes after I updated to 2, often, so I switched over to Opera on my Windows machine.
    E2180 (2.0ghz) | 2GB DDR2 800 Tracers | 8600GT 256mb | XFX 610i nForce mobo | Lanbox Lite
    Intel Atom 230 - 1.6ghz | 2GB DDR2-667 | 945GCLF Mini-ITX | Apex MI-100 case