Thread: Cheap cable sleeves

Resident Alcoholic

Default Cheap cable sleeves

Hey!
    Im not sure if im being innovative with this, or whether it's been done before....
    but I thought that I should share what little i can with you all in return for the advice this site has given me!
    I realised that all my psu wires were restricting the airflow in my case, I decided to come up with a way of sleeving them.
    Sure, it's been done many a time before, but I am poor, and im sure there are others out there who cant realy afford specific psu cable sleeves!
    I spent ages trying to think of a way of doing this, then I gave up and went to do some coursework for my a-levels...
    which is when I stumbled upon these things:
    Comb binding rings:

They are used as cheap binding for documents, and work perfectly for holding your wires together!
    I picked up a 50 pack of them for 1 quid (2 dollars) at my local stationary store.
    I also used a similar ring binder to hold together the main clump of wires that go to the motherboard, and its all now much neater and works nicely.

Happy modding
    H

Rankenphile

Default Re: Cheap cable sleeves

Very clever. I worked in a print shop for years, and used these all the time.

Allow me to do you one better. :p You can, in the same spot, usually find plastic spiral bindings. They come in a very wide variety of colors and sizes. I found a website that sells them here by doing a quick Google search, I'm sure you could find more easily by doing some homework.

I had never thought of using them for this, though. Neat idea!

only problem I see is they are pretty stiff and I'm not sure how well they would look if bent, but good idea.

if you want other cheap ideas just go walk around your local hardware store, I can't tell you how many times I'll be walking through home depot and go "Hey, that would look sweet in a case!"

Resident Alcoholic

Quote Originally Posted by Rankenphile
    Allow me to do you one better. :p You can, in the same spot, usually find plastic spiral bindings. They come in a very wide variety of colors and sizes. I found a website that sells them here by doing a quick Google search, I'm sure you could find more easily by doing some homework.
    These do look even better!

The comb bindings can be a little stiff, but they do bend into shape an keep their shape once theyre round the wires - I'll try and get some pics of my case tonight

Case Wizard

Split loom is kinda nasty . To me it looks like those crazy straws that you use to drink slushies. Except split along the middle.

Also, has anyone heard of snakeskin? It's a mesh weave that expands to fit over whatever you need and contracts again. Sort of off topic.. I can show a picture if you don't get what I mean.