Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Copying/Transferring Data.

Practice random acts of generosity Omega's Avatar

Default Copying/Transferring Data.

Right.

I don't have an external HD and I need to push ~12gb of data from a client's laptop to my desktop to serve as a backup. I can't do it through the network because it's wireless and as such, unstable.

Is there any way I could do a USB link? I don't think I've got the proper male-male cable for that, but my "electronics skills" are profecient enough to hack that together.

Are there any techniques I'm missing here, though? I need to back up her documents for a reformat of the host machine, so.

Thanks in advance

i5-3570k @ 4.40GHz // R9 380X @ 1020MHz // 2x Samsung 850 EVO SSDs // 2x 2TB HDDs
    Fractal Design Define R2 XL "Monolith"

Default Re: Copying/Transferring Data.

you could use a free online file server
    i use a site called adrive.com they give u 50 gigs free and i use it for saving mp4 movies onto so i can download them to my psp's memory stick on the go
    check out my pc on youtube
    sorry for the lack of a decent video it was late

wow my sig sucks.. ha

I've got the madcow, what's your excuse? Bopher's Avatar

Could a Cross over cable work for this? I think a USB method requires a 'special' cable that has something in the middle that handles the switch around? If thats even the right thinking line.

"Technical neglect is one of the worst kinds of neglect, won't you sponsor an octal or adsl2 card so they can someday grow up into big capable adsl2+ cards? random celebrity does."

Bopher is correct, the USB 'network' cables I've seen have chips in the middle, some containing drivers/software.
    Antec Sonata II | Pioneer DVR-212
    Good news! You can follow my website or follow me on twitter!

some custom title eh Cannibal23's Avatar

i agree with the previous 2 posts. you need something like a laplink cable. but i reccomend setting static IP's on the lan card (not wlan) on both these machines and putting a cross over cable between them. then its as easy as shareing a folder and copying your stuff there. as there is no DNS server in this setup you will have to access the other machine via its IP address.

\\192.168.100.1
    - The stone knows not why the chistle cleves it
    - The steel knows not why the fire scorches it
    - When thy life is cleft and scorched
    - Curse not thine evil fate
    - Thank the builder for the trials that shape thee.

Laplink cable would use the LPT port, which is far too slow. In this day and age, almost all computers have an ethernet card, so just grab a crossover cable and plug between the two of them.

Set the desktop to DHCP, and enable internet connection sharing on the laptop. That will assign an IP to the laptop ethernet, and the desktop ethernet, plus share internet from the laptops wifi if needed.

Now that they both have addresses, create a folder on the laptop, and share it (allowing full access of course). Now on the desktop, open the run command from the start menu, and type \\(laptop ip). Open the share, and start copying files.

If you use a crossover, you can get up to a gigabit connection between the two computers (if both have gigabit adaptors). Crossover cables are cheap and easy to make, and definitely faster than laplink or wireless.

\m/ d(-_-)b \m/

R9 290X+Kraken+Corsair H90, Xeon 5649@4ghz, Asus P6T-WS Pro

I defiantly agree with Luke, he has a very excellent point. His would be the best way of doing it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lothair View Post
    I guess it's just widely used and has had some of the best people in the world work on it, costing a ridiculous amount of money, for no actual reason. :/
    Have you checked out the front page lately?
    Projects:
    Moe's Tavern | Sponsored by: Mimo Monitors, Crucial, Thermaltake
    Book Of Knowledge

Over 75 Custom PC's in 20 years TheGreatSatan's Avatar

Office Depot sells one for $40 that's called "Tornado"
    WH1T3 0U7
    Modified Thermaltake View 37
    Intel 9900K, MSI Z390A, 128GB (32GB x4) GSkill Royal 3200MHz, RTX 3080 Vision, EVGA Nu Audio, 1TB Silicon Power SSD, EVGA 1300G2, ID cooling 360mm AiO, LG 3440 x 1440

Measure once, curse twice nevermind1534's Avatar

You can get a crossover ethernet cable from newegg for a few dollars. Link depot works fine, I have a few cables made by them.

I've got the madcow, what's your excuse? Bopher's Avatar

If you have the crimpers and some time you should be able to make one yourself. If I remember the setup right you just need to switch the two outside wires. so if you're looking at a cable plug from the bottom you see:

white with orange
    orange
    white with green
    blue
    white with blue
    green
    white with brown
    brown

Like I said if I remember correctly you switch the brown and the white with orange and presto one cross over cable. But I would google the wiring just to make sure I'm right.

"Technical neglect is one of the worst kinds of neglect, won't you sponsor an octal or adsl2 card so they can someday grow up into big capable adsl2+ cards? random celebrity does."