Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Ubuntu 8.04 and Sketchup?

Default Re: Ubuntu 8.04 and Sketchup?

Try the links I gave you to get the right video driver installed then see what errors you are getting.

CB

Sunshine Flavored Lollipops Zephik's Avatar

Well that was exciting. lol

I installed EnvyNG, followed its instructions, then let it restart my laptop. After it loaded the Bios/OS and all of that stuff it wouldn't display the screen once it got to the Ubuntu Login page. Saying something like "cannon display this resolution" or something like that. Luckily I have a TV that has twenty zillion different video/audio ports and a large enough screen to display just about every resolution known to mankind. lol

...its also lucky that I have every kind and type of video/audio cable, otherwise I wouldn't of been able to plug my laptop into the TV and change the resolution to one that can be displayed on a regular 17" LCD.

But all is well now. So lets see what happens when I try to get into Sketchup...

Sketchup ver. 6 - Started up and gave me the basic outline of the programs window, but didn't finishing loading anything else and then just disappeared. So no error message this time, but it exits out before it finishes loading the program.

Sketchup ver. 4 - Gives me the same error message that I have always been given. I've heard of larger success rates with people using ver. 4 in Ubuntu, but it doesn't seem to work for me. >< oh well, wasn't expecting an older version to work with a newer version of WINE and Ubuntu OS anyways.

Side Note: At least EnvyNG gave me more resolution options, woo hoo!
    People are stupid; given proper motivation, almost anyone will believe almost anything. Because people are stupid, they will believe a lie because they want to believe it's true, or because they are afraid it might be true. People’s heads are full of knowledge, facts, and beliefs, and most of it is false, yet they think it all true. People are stupid; they can only rarely tell the difference between a lie and the truth, and yet they are confident they can, and so are all the easier to fool.

Well you have the right video drivers. This is called progress. Couple more bits of progress and you'll be sketchupin on trains, planes and .... yr laptop.

Now to figure out how to get those couple more bits of progress... thats the tricky part right there. lol

Update: Okay, so talking softly to my computer in a dimmed room with candles, roses and champagne didn't help much. Maybe if I hold it over the bathtub filled with water and threaten it? Will post results when I get back...
    People are stupid; given proper motivation, almost anyone will believe almost anything. Because people are stupid, they will believe a lie because they want to believe it's true, or because they are afraid it might be true. People’s heads are full of knowledge, facts, and beliefs, and most of it is false, yet they think it all true. People are stupid; they can only rarely tell the difference between a lie and the truth, and yet they are confident they can, and so are all the easier to fool.

from here:

"I have confirmed this problem on Hardy-Heron (Ubuntu 8.04).
    Some of the following information will be duplicated from prior posts, but I wanted to capture my entire timeline for any developers out there.

* I first installed & configured wine according to https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Wine
    * To make sure the install was good, I launched the notepad program, and it runs just fine.
    * Again, using the guidance from the wine-wiki, I installed Google Sketchup 6 (henceforth known as "GSU-6").
    * I launched GSU-6 via wine and got the "missing OpenGL" pop-up error as described earlier.
    * I applied the registry "tweak" for HW-OK as described in the root post of this thread and tried to launch GSU-6. Now it just silently dies.
    * Then I replaced my compiz window manager with metacity by executing this command in the terminal:
    Code:

metacity --replace &

* I re-launced GSU-6 and it works just fine (although I now get the pop-up errors for Gecko).

It seems to me that compiz is a very likely candidate for further investigation.
    I would be happy to provide any information I can that would help people track down this problem.

Here are my system vitals:

* Ubuntu 8.04(alpha-6) on amd64
    * nvidia GeForce 6600 GT (rev a2)"

HW-OK fix from here:

"Iv seen quite a few posts that mention the problem with Sketchup 6, where it stops during loading and warns you that you do not have OpenGL available. I had this problem.

Fix:
    Open your wine menu and open the C drive (/home/user/.Wine)
    Open the Windows Folder
    Find Regedit.exe and run it with Wine
    Find: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Google\SketchUp6\GLConf ig\Display
    There are three entries - Look at the bottom one, name 'HW_OK"
    Double click it and change the data from a 0 to a 1
    Run Sketchup 6
    No more error on startup and the program seems to run just fine on NVIDIA 6600, Ubuntu 7.10

Good luck"

PS. ... downloading Wine and Sketchup as we speak on my lappy running Hardy Heron. Don't use sketchup but if I can get it going so can you.

This is what I get now, which is a bit farther than before. It actually loads stuff inside the window now, but if I click on anything it will auto-close...

I got the OpenGL Error, then did the registry tweak and now when I try to launch it NADA ... tick tick tick ... no Sketchup ... so you're doing better than I lol

EDIT: OK, now I did the "metacity --replace &" in terminal ... and have sketchup running though it is not renedering the screen. I am not having the problems with button blackouts that lots of folk are reporting.

Quote Originally Posted by Crazy Buddhist View Post
    I got the OpenGL Error, then did the registry tweak and now when I try to launch it NADA ... tick tick tick ... no Sketchup ... so you're doing better than I lol
    Did you try installing and running EnvyNG? Thats what gave me the basic outline of the Sketchup window, then I did the registry tweak as well which gave me that screen shot. Just got to figure out why its auto closing on me whenever I try to do something...

open a terminal window and type:

metacity --replace & {ENTER}

This has solved that problem for some.

EDIT ... weird ... you seem to have to do this after each reboot, just before running sketchup.

Quote Originally Posted by Zephik View Post
    Did you try installing and running EnvyNG? Thats what gave me the basic outline of the Sketchup window, then I did the registry tweak as well which gave me that screen shot. Just got to figure out why its auto closing on me whenever I try to do something...
    I have an Intel video chip in this lappy. I may never arrive. But then even if I do this is purely an altruistic exercise and I will be uninstalling Sketchup once I get it working.

CB

ps .... I must be mad .... currently I have no internet connection at home. Although my desktop happily picks up the neighbour's (unsecured) router, my laptop will not do it .... this is the set up I have had to install it on to get it to connect and download the files to try and get this going: