Thread: Custom Waterblocks

Overclocked

Default Custom Waterblocks

With the nice weather upon us, I thought it's time for yet another completely unreasonable project. Since I've already got a machine in the initial build stage, I figured the next project would be to watercool/peltier cool the beast.

I've looked at all the pre-fab systems and nothing out there catches my fancy, and I susect mst store bought solutions won't allow for the Pelt, so that leaves me with one choice, build it.

Copper is my first choice for block material. I may have acylic top(s) for the block(s)

The system will be dual processor, so I have to build two CPU blocks, as well as two GPU blocks since the machine will have dual vid cards (AGP and PCI)

The pump assembly will be external, a completely seperate box, as not to accidentally shut it down, causing the pelts to overheat everything...

Obviously, without hardware specs, this will be difficult, but I won't start this project until the hardware is purchased and working. So until then, the details are sketchy.

What I know so far:
    • I'll need 4 blocks (2 CPU, 2 GPU)
    • Radiator - looking into a transmission cooler rad for this.
    • Pump - looking into aquarium pump Don't know yet.
    • Tubing - Obviously this aspect affects the efficiency of the pump, so I'll pick a diameter, then the pump, based on that.
    • Power - Seperate UPS power supply will be a must.
    • Based on tutorials I've read, I'll need neoprene and a copper baseplate fr the pelts.

What I'm unsure of:
    • GPH and head pressure needed for my project
    • Where to buy my copper baseplates (Looking for Canadian Seller)
    • Will a double pump setup work better (two smaller pumps rather than one huge monster)
    • Should I run two rads?

So that's that. I'm sure I missed something, but knowing the people here, I'll be informed to what I missed.

Fresh Paint

Well, if you are looking for a pump that you could easily use and mod, I would say the one shown here.

It's all small and stuff. You could make it so pretty.
    System:
    CPU:AMD FX-55
    VID:2xAsus EN6800
    RAM:2GB Kingston Hyper-X
    MB:Asus A8N-SLI Deluxe
    SOUND:Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS Plat Pro

Overclocked

I think I'd need at least 2 for my rig. Maybe 3.

Water Cooled

im gonna build waterblocks once ill get my hands on a cnc machine as well. about ure setup, I recommend a dual rad, or at least one 3X120mm size, you will have lots of heat generated. you can buy copper plates at your local metal dealer, just look around. you should also find good tutorials about the pumps needed, it is hard to tell what you need, it depends on the resistance your blocks and the radiator will have. if you have any designs, please post them, and we can talk about what is good and what is bad

Overclocked

Thanks.

Nothing drawn yet. Only ideas.
    -=-=-=-=-
    When computers collide, Bob is born
    And remember, boys and girls, it's better to say nothing, if that's what you know.

Water Cooled

there is no way you will need 3 pumps. you would probably need one decent pump, or two midrange pumps. even that would be more than needed.

Overclocked

Quote Originally Posted by Frakk
    there is no way you will need 3 pumps. you would probably need one decent pump, or two midrange pumps. even that would be more than needed.
    I like to err on the side of caution. I want to make sure I don't come home one weekend to find the pump burnt out.
    -=-=-=-=-
    When computers collide, Bob is born
    And remember, boys and girls, it's better to say nothing, if that's what you know.