Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Radiators

Fresh Paint

Default Radiators

I'm sure there are plenty of good radiators out there, but for a case I want to make, I would want to have a custom one made. Anybody know where I can get this done?

The radiator will be the size of a 120 fan, and it will be sandwhiched between the 120 fan and a vent that is pulled on either side by two 80s.

Thanks

Fresh Paint

Here is a nasty picture of the radiator I want, without anything extra. This is just the basic outline. Will this be good?

System:
    CPU:AMD FX-55
    VID:2xAsus EN6800
    RAM:2GB Kingston Hyper-X
    MB:Asus A8N-SLI Deluxe
    SOUND:Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS Plat Pro

Water Cooled

i dont understand how you want to incorporate the vent with the two 80mm fans. imo there is no point having 2 80mm fans. you would be better off having the rad between two 120mm fans in a push-pull config, pulling fresh air through. if you want a small rad (only 120mm fan size) then there is no point having it custom made, there are lots of rads that size on the market in many different colours too.

Fresh Paint

Well, that may be the case with the size of the radiator, but the reason there will be two 80s is because they will be blowing out the sides of the case. The vent will serve as a wall to keep the air from going thru the rest of the computer, and the two 80s will be pulling all of that "hot" air out the sides.
    System:

Water Cooled

i would still put a 120mm fan instead of two 80mm. using different fans will create positive or negative pressure and it will be louder with the probability of performance drop. just have the push-pull config with the rad between the two 120mm fans, blowing out of the case. same effect, but much cleaner and trouble free.

The One and Only

to use two fans in push pull has marginal gains versus a single fan. It will however add a lot of noise.

Fresh Paint

So should I just make the radiator super thick and stick two 120s on it's sides?

Oh, and if I make it myself, would I have to get copper and weld it or what?
    System:

The One and Only

Get a heatercore for $20 is your best bet. If you want something more fancy go for a Thermochill radiator like the HE120.1 or the HE120.2 if you got the space. Then the most costly option is a custom made radiator.

Water Cooled

Quote Originally Posted by mashie
    to use two fans in push pull has marginal gains versus a single fan. It will however add a lot of noise.
    it depends how deep/thick the radiator is and how much it restricts the airflow through it. id say anything above 4cm with the fins relatively close together would gain a lot from a push-pull setup. someone compared it to a single fan setup and the performance improved a lot by adding an other fan. its too late to search for the article but if you really wanna see ill show u

Will it be good for what? a paperweight? you need to take into account the # of fins per inch, you want long thin ones or thick short ones? what size tubing running through it? those are vital differences that can make a world of difference in performance. Radiating surface is a vital aspect of good heat dissipation. Im lucky enough to have some knowledge on the subject due to my long experience racing and modifying turbocharged cars. Testing various intercoolers back to back.

There are two things to consider in a radiator. Heat dissipations and flow. More fins per inch will dissepate heat more quickly but may sacrifice flow. For a PC watercooling rad you want more heat dissepation than flow, and the flow is so small that it is essentially irrelavant to even measure the differences.

As for having one custom made I was looking into it recently. I have had custom aluminum radiators made for my old race car, Im sure I can get one of my old custom rad guys to make me a few one off miniture versions. Dunno if they are tooled to even create one that small but I will give it a shot. I am currently doing my research in fin designs before I come up with a model for my custom creation, if after some testing it comes out well I may make a large run of them, anodized or powdercoated in a few colors and resell them.

Please stay tuned, hopefully this wont be another project thrown on the backburner like my instant hot chick glasses to be given out freely to poor souls all over the world who aren't good looking\rich\well endowed enough to have good looking girlfriends.