Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Review: Ubuntu 8.04 LTS Hardy Heron

Is awesome

Default Re: Ubuntu 8.04 LTS Hardy Heron

Too bad I don't exactly have sound, though. I'll put in my old sound card into my computer maybe, if I can't find some drivers for my m-audio pro box. So far, I'm very impressed. Developers need to see the light, they would sell amazing amounts of software if they made it for linux also.

I just have one question- Should I be able to see my windows files? What does the ubuntu file manager actually detect, should I be able to just snag data out of, say, the stock programs folder from windows and be able to use it, or do I have to put it into the "ubuntu" folder in c?

I think I am going to experiment with this.
    You love my sig.

You should be able to see the windows partition of your hard drive but it will only be read only. Therefore you should be able to drag and drop files across to linux but not into windows. If you cant see your windows partition you need to mount it into linux.

1. Go to the terminal... applications => Accessories
    2. Type
    Code:
    sudo fdisk -l
    Type your password
    This should display something like this,

3. As you can see my Windows NTFS partition is at /dev/sda1
    So i am going to use this in the commands. You will need to change it to whatever
    your hardrive/partition is.

4. Now you need to create a folder to mount the hardrive in.

Code:
    sudo mkdir /mnt/windows
    5. Finally mount the hardrive.

Code:
    sudo mount /dev/sda1 /mnt/windows
    The harddrive contents should now be in this folder.

6. If you want the windows files to be mounted on startup so they are always there you
    need to add a line to the etc/fstab file.

You do this by typing

Code:
    gksudo gedit /etc/fstab
    This will open the file for editing.

7. Add this to the end of the file, changing it to your hardrive etc and save.

Code:
    /dev/sda1    /mnt/windows ntfs  nls=utf8,umask=0222 0    0
    Hope this helps

Joe

Like a Lightning Bolt in Your Cheerios! Drum Thumper's Avatar

I'm about to throw this on my ROIO box just to see it it'll work for what I need it to do. And if I like it, I might even jettison XP on my main machine.
    Quote Originally Posted by artoodeeto View Post
    aw heck guys. We're modders. Let's just build our own, shall we?

DrumThumper.net || The Brewing Art ||
    My Flickr Stream

Quote Originally Posted by jbaldwinroberts
    *Great tut*
    However, you don't need to do that anymore . Go to Places > Computer and look for a drive called *** GB Media. Double click that, it'll display a message asking you something (I didn't read it) and there's your Windows partition with read and write enabled.
    RIP Bucko

It asks you if you want to mount it, then does it automatically. For some reason mine didnt do this so i had to do it manually, and i thought that maybe other people could be having this problem.

Joe

very cool... i think i'm gonna give it a go on a spare system i have at home.

thanks for the review and giving this old windows hack the confidence to try something different.

Is awesome

Thanks a lot!

It all just works. It's like OSx except my sound doesn't work and it was free.

I think I may have some leads on a possible driver for the sound, though. This is turning out great.
    You love my sig.

Quote Originally Posted by Quakken View Post
    Thanks a lot!

It all just works. It's like OSx except my sound doesn't work and it was free.

I think I may have some leads on a possible driver for the sound, though. This is turning out great.
    What card are you using? My Audigy 2 isn't working, but I think all I need to do is set it to the main device in alsamixer (run that from the command line and it'll show you what it's trying to run from). After I set Audigy in the GUI changer, it still says Nvidia Audio in alsamixer.
    RIP Bucko

Overclocked

Quote Originally Posted by calumc View Post
    All that kind of stuff is because of the fact that the licenses on software like flash wont allow anyone to spread it freely. So I suppose you cant expect ubuntu to have full support for this when they arent allowed to fully integrate it.

And while im on the subject of codecs: did you know it's illegal to play a legally bought DVD on a linux system? ^_^

Did you know that its only illegal in some contries and not in others

you could always use wine and window based media players that you legally own..

Is awesome

Quote Originally Posted by .Maleficus. View Post
    What card are you using? My Audigy 2 isn't working, but I think all I need to do is set it to the main device in alsamixer (run that from the command line and it'll show you what it's trying to run from). After I set Audigy in the GUI changer, it still says Nvidia Audio in alsamixer.
    I don't have a sound card really, I have a USB box, an m-audio fast track pro (one of these). From what I can tell, there is some ALSA support for other m-audio devices, and I think I am going to see what I can do with those, but from what I see in other places, there isn't much luck.

Also, where in ubuntu does it display your system specs and current hardware you are running? I've kind of looked around, and I haven't found much (probably easy question).
    You love my sig.