Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Review: Ubuntu 8.04 LTS Hardy Heron

Default Re: Ubuntu 8.04 LTS Hardy Heron

Quote Originally Posted by jbaldwinroberts View Post
    Got it sorted, rebooted for like the fifth time and it worked. yay.
    Weird. I decided to try it from Synaptic too and all I needed was a browser restart. Now to get Flash Player installed... And get a new Metacity theme. At first I could handle the black everywhere, but now it's just starting to annoy me. I'm keepin' the black GTK, but I need my white Firebox boxes!
    RIP Bucko

Quote Originally Posted by jbaldwinroberts View Post
    Just dual booted it with xp. Im going to make it my primary operating system but i need to sort out a few issues first, mainly why firefox wont display java games and quicktime movies. i have installed the java runtime in the package manager.

Joe
    All that kind of stuff is because of the fact that the licenses on software like flash wont allow anyone to spread it freely. So I suppose you cant expect ubuntu to have full support for this when they arent allowed to fully integrate it.

And while im on the subject of codecs: did you know it's illegal to play a legally bought DVD on a linux system? ^_^
    Quote Originally Posted by Crazy Buddhist View Post
    I'm starting to worry that I may become genuinely funny at some point. Then there will be no hope.

Added a new screenshot to the first post.
    RIP Bucko

Is awesome

Okay. I'm so close to dual booting linux, this new release is almost too good to pass up. I think I might back up my hard drive, then use the windows installer. windows installer.

Shivers go up my spine every time I type that.
    You love my sig.

I haven't had a chance to try it out, but the guys at Canonical are pretty confident in it's capabilities. Plus, they've had testing going on since 2006 .
    RIP Bucko

Is awesome

I... I'm going to do it. Yes, I am going to do it. Downloading the iso for the x86 now. I will go back to school for my last hour and then come home, it should be done and then I can burn then install it.

It sets up a dual boot thing if you use the windows installer, right? I think i'm going to start out using 10 gb or so of space, I will only be needing it for internet surfing, some gimp work and word processing stuff in it. I am looking forward to this. It's going to be fun.

Edit- After I start running ubuntu and everything, will it detect and be able to use my windows partition? It would be nice not to have to move things over with my external drive.
    You love my sig.

Yep, it'll detect your NTFS drive from boot (it did for me anyways). Here's the wiki entry for the installer. https://wiki.ubuntu.com/InstallerForWindows
    RIP Bucko

Downloaded this, but havent tried it yet.. Mint is working too damn well for me atm. I even started playing with Aircrack today.. w00t.

Too bad I'm putting all my energy into the new bike right now..

\m/ d(-_-)b \m/

R9 290X+Kraken+Corsair H90, Xeon 5649@4ghz, Asus P6T-WS Pro

Is awesome

This message typed from ubuntu hardy heron.

Seriously took me half an hour from burning the disk to typing this. 30 minutes. It set up the internet completely by itself, seriously- this is easier than windows. easier.
    You love my sig.

Quote Originally Posted by Quakken View Post
    This message typed from ubuntu hardy heron.

Seriously took me half an hour from burning the disk to typing this. 30 minutes. It set up the internet completely by itself, seriously- this is easier than windows. easier.
    No need to convince me . I boot Ubuntu from power-on to usable desktop in ~30 seconds. Can't say the same for Windows.

To all the people who say Linux isn't ready for the desktop... READ IT.
    RIP Bucko