Thread: PSU connector issue

ATX Mental Case Cookies N' Milk's Avatar

Default PSU connector issue

So I went and grabbed myself a skulltrail board because we are having a LAN party soon and of course I must out do all my friends who just got new machines. Only problem is that my current SilverStone Strider 750Watt PSU does not have two 8pin connectors for the processor. I started looking for PSUs that have two connectors but they are all 1000Watts and expensive as heck. Any chance of there being some sort of adapter/splitter or do I have to burn money on a new PSU?
    Current Project: Resistance
    My New Super Sexy WorkStation Specs:
    2x Intel Quad-Core Xeon E5420 2.5GHz 12MB Cache @ 3.0GHz, 4x2GB Kingston FB-DIMM 800MHz ECC, Intel SkullTrail Board, 4x WD Raptor 74GB HardDrives in Raid 0, 2x Seagate 320GB HardDrives, ATI FireGL V8650-Switched back to an 8800GT for now cause of driver problems, ThermalTake ToughPower 1200Watt PSU, Blackmagic Intensity Pro Capture Card

Default Re: PSU connector issue

Tom's Hardware says:

"The two 150-Watt processors can only be supplied with sufficient power through eight-pin connectors. Overclockers should use both of these eight-pin connectors while a single one should suffice for normal operation at default clock speeds."

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/...1,1768-10.html

Honestly, I'd either leave it or mod a "splitter" in. (I can't find one, either.) Failing that, the sheer fact that you've bought a Skulltrail says you can probably get another couple hundred bucks - though that's not really necessary unless you're talking more than two video cards; the Striders are pretty much bulletproof.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitternacht View Post
    Everyone else had quotes, and I didn't. I figured the next funny thing I see I'd throw in my sig.
    Quote Originally Posted by Luke122 View Post
    Jon, the whole post is about building a bong that changes its own water.
    Gee, it damn sure took me long enough to find and add the origin of the first quote...