Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: creating a message board with php and mysql

duct tape can fix anything Tavarin's Avatar

Default Re: creating a message board with php and mysql

Well the simple one works great.

The problem with the multi user login script is that for some reason I can't save or read cookies with the server I'm using. It's one of the servers at my school, so I think thast might be a problem. Anyway, tomorrow I'm going to take the crash course in sessions, and attempt that.

Also, I think the main reason my multi-user script isn't working very well is because I only started working on it today for about an hour, and have never used cookies before.

Anyway, I'll post up the simple password protect script tomorrow for you since I have it on my laptop, and don't feel like writing the whole thing again.

small update on what iv been doing..

well i finally got the time to switch it over to my server at home. i created the table thu the mysql console and copy and pasted the coding into a textfile on my computer.. entered a value into the table and im able to see it on the test page. but once agian i cant add or delete to the database. i still think it is permissions to play here unless there is a fault in the code, but i cant see that as you have got it running :/

any ideas?

if you want to have a look of it your self here is the link to it

simonmcguire.co.uk
    Basic Math:
    1 + 1 = 2
    1 * 1 = 1

Once again I'm at a loss as to why it's not working for you. Mine is removing posts after a while, so I think someone might be deleting them.

Anyway I'm nearly successful with my multi user password protection. I have it fully operational, using sessions (yay for the crash course). What I'm doing with it right now is encrypting the password in the database when someone registers a username (another table) and then having the browser read that instead. So far the verifying of the encrypted password isn't working (although it goes into the database encrypted). So I'm working on fixing that.

If you would however like the multi user password protect script I can implement it into the message board script and then post it up for you. I can make it so that anyone can read the messages, but you have to log in to be able to delete messages or to post messages. This won't have any encryption to it (at least not until I figure out how to fix that) but that shouldn't be a problem. I just wanted to see if I can do it.

If you want to wait until I have the encryption working, I'll post it up here as soon as i do. My goal is to completely program a fully functioning forum by the end of the summer. Wish me luck.

Cheers

good luck
    Basic Math:
    1 + 1 = 2
    1 * 1 = 1

is there the possibily that there is some form of error in the coding you have geiven?

iv tried to change and mess about with the coding about a 100 times on both systems.. i just cant get it to work

simon
    Basic Math:
    1 + 1 = 2
    1 * 1 = 1

It could be that there are errors so I'll look into that. I've just been assuming there weren't since I copied and pasted it off of my working page. I'll try to clean up the code a bit for you later today once I've integrated the password protect.

So I should have some news for you later today.

Cheers

ah sweet cool

it has been a frustrating week for me with this, will the new one intergrate the password thing?

thank you so much, id give you a big kiss at this stage if i could xD
    Basic Math:
    1 + 1 = 2
    1 * 1 = 1

No trouble.

Anyway, I also ran into a problem. The script on it's own works fine, but when it's placed in a page with html the remove stopped working. The problem for me is that when the php sends the number of the post to be deleted it uses the wrong number. So I'd say check the URL for what ID it's sending and then check your table to see what number the post is. If they aren't the same, then that's the problem. Anyway, I'll try and fix this tomorrow, and send it up.

Also I have made a page with a multi user password protect on it. It actually works like forums, in that it uses the persons username for the person who posted, and only the person who posted the message can delete it. Anyway, once I work out all the bugs I'll post it up.

Here's what I've got so far, but the delete isn't working yet. You can add posts though, that works fine.

http://actonhighschool.ca/7/Boards.php

Cheers

yeah, it dont really explain the reason why its not working when i try to add a new record..

is there a way to get a error log or something of the database, so you can see if data gets knocked back by some validation rule?

your message board it starting to look real nice i like that flower design you have got going on the top of the page
    Basic Math:
    1 + 1 = 2
    1 * 1 = 1

i checked the url and index number, the record what iv as trying to delete is number 6 and the url shows up like this after i click delete

messageboard.php?ID=6&mode=remove

so im guessing that right, i was also talking to a friend of mine, he knows a bit more about php then what i do. he was telling me that your not ment to have a double = in the url, is that the reason why it isent working?

he went on to say that the commands are ment to be broke up onto differant pages. so in his example there would be messageboards.php, delete.php and add.php. and those two have the commands to use the database.

is that just a more long around the bush way of doing the example here?
    Basic Math:
    1 + 1 = 2
    1 * 1 = 1