Thread: Website Host

^ Soon to be one. Computer-Geek's Avatar

Default Website Host

Can someone give me a short list of good website hosts ? Thanks in advance. Some personal opinions will help too.
    - Computer-Geek

Default Re: Website Host

Frihost.com

Frihost free web hosting features

• 250 Mb of space for your entire collection of websites.
    • 10 GB of traffic each and every month.
    • 1 short free subdomain to be reachable in the whole world (you.frih.net).
    • Php and Perl scripting languages to fulfill all your programming needs.
    • The DirectAdmin control panel to manage your web hosting account.
    • No forced advertisements. Your own ads like google adsense are allowed.
    • Unlimited MySQL databases for all your data.
    • Unlimited subdomains and ftp accounts of all your domains.
    • Unlimited email accounts for your correspondence.
    • Unlimited parked and addon domains for your whole portfolio of websites.
    • Great community forums of over 500,000 posts and over 25,000 members to get support from.

! We only provide free php hosting to all active members of our forums. You need at least 5 quality posts before requesting a completely free web hosting account. Being active on our forums afterwards is also required in order to keep your hosting account.

→ How to register and apply?
    I've used this host for a long time and I have never had any problems. The forum is quite vast so it's relatively simple to find an area to post something valuable and relevant. Post a couple times a week to keep your account in good status and enjoy some pretty amazing free services. I find that the community is constantly growing as well.

bluehost

Been using this one for a couple of years and have had no issues. Lots of freebies, free domain renewal (for the primary host), good email service (was rocky in the beginning but has only gotten better). Lots of sub-domains in case you want to mess around with your own host and/or redirect sites. Also you can have many many email addys for yourself and friends.
    "...Dumb all over, A little ugly on the side... "...Frank Zappa...

Site 5

They have a special going on right now. 1.5TG of storage, 15TB of bandwidth/mo. $3.50/mo.

Like a Lightning Bolt in Your Cheerios! Drum Thumper's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by artoodeeto View Post
    aw heck guys. We're modders. Let's just build our own, shall we?

DrumThumper.net || The Brewing Art ||
    My Flickr Stream

Quote Originally Posted by SgtM View Post
    Site 5

They have a special going on right now. 1.5TG of storage, 15TB of bandwidth/mo. $3.50/mo.
    It's funny to read all the restrictions and fine print on these things. Based on their restrictions, I don't see how you could ever come close to 15TB of bandwidth. They also have ambiguous statements that say basically if you use too much resources (which the limitations are far below the storage/bandwidth they say you can use) that you get the boot. But then again all these basic hosts do that. I just found it funny when I did research. Also the 3.50$ per month is ONLY if you sign up for 10 years.

Personally, I use Hostmonster as per a few recommendations. Not bad, but has the same restrictions as all these shared hosts. If its a small site you will be fine on one of these servers. You won't be able to run a game server from one. You also won't be able to have a huge popular site on these without getting the boot. Found this information out while helping out a buddy of mine.

I use Precision-Media.net, they have been good to me. I was lucky to get in on a promotional plan when they first started. $10/yr for un-metered space and un-metered bandwidth. I would check them out.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lothair View Post
    I guess it's just widely used and has had some of the best people in the world work on it, costing a ridiculous amount of money, for no actual reason. :/
    Have you checked out the front page lately?
    Projects:
    Moe's Tavern | Sponsored by: Mimo Monitors, Crucial, Thermaltake
    Book Of Knowledge

^ Soon to be one. Computer-Geek's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DrumThumper View Post
    Thats my current host lol I am looking for something a little cheaper. All your suggestions aren't bad. I really don't need a ton of space since its just a small forum I just want my own domain name & access to something like cpanel.
    - Computer-Geek

I've been using Dreamhost for about 2 1/2 years now. Had no trouble yet. I think I can set up a coupon code to save you some money on the first year too, I'll take a look into that.

yep, got an old code set up. They changed there promo system to only allow discounts upto $50, but since I made this one before that system was installed, it kept its original value So this will save you $50 if you pay by the month, or $85 off any yearly program (first year only).

CODE: SHARETHEGOODS

They also expand your disk space and bandwith each week you stay with them, which really adds up in the long run.
    Last edited by Aero; 04-09-2008 at 07:35 PM.

Strip it, paint it, and love on it... Commando's Avatar

I use HostMonster. They have some wicked good deals.

The best part is they have a phenomenal automated backup system. It has saved my butt a couple of times.

I'm running some pretty hefty sites with them and I have never come close to any bandwidth or space restrictions.

• 15 TB transfer
    • Unlimited Domains
    • 1.5 TB of space
    • 6.95/ month
    • Super CP Control Panel backend

Check them out. Really good deal IMO. HostMonster

I just realised your trying to do the super value thing. Here are a couple that are under 5$ a month.

* Start Logic
    * Dotster
    * 1 & 1 (a little commercial but a good deal)
    Last edited by Commando; 04-15-2008 at 12:01 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost