Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Counting

Fresh Paint

Default Re: Counting

I have kind of a nit picky question.
    Do I have to measure the total program run time or just the time it takes to actually count the numbers?

Time it takes to output the numbers to a file.
    Antec Sonata II | Pioneer DVR-212
    Good news! You can follow my website or follow me on twitter!

Quote Originally Posted by crenn View Post
    Time it takes to output the numbers to a file.
    Um, not quite, few are doing that, I can tell by the times (unless some one is running a raid array with some super fast SAS drives or those ramdisks, at least for those times under 1sec for 1M). The test is not seeing how long it takes to write to a file but how long it takes to generate the numbers in a retrievable manner. See the official rules:

Quote Originally Posted by XcOM View Post
    ...your program must make a record of the numbers it counts...
    Quote Originally Posted by xRyokenx View Post
    ...I'm getting tired of not being able to figure this crap out because it's apparently made for computer-illiterate people by computer-illiterate people. lol

So, I could write to a variable and that would count? Does it have to print them out afterwards?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lothair View Post
    I guess it's just widely used and has had some of the best people in the world work on it, costing a ridiculous amount of money, for no actual reason. :/
    Have you checked out the front page lately?
    Projects:
    Moe's Tavern | Sponsored by: Mimo Monitors, Crucial, Thermaltake
    Book Of Knowledge

Quote Originally Posted by Trace View Post
    So, I could write to a variable and that would count? Does it have to print them out afterwards?
    You do have to prove that your code doesn't just do a 1, 2, skip a few... 9,999,999... 10 million kinda thing.
    Quote Originally Posted by xRyokenx View Post
    ...I'm getting tired of not being able to figure this crap out because it's apparently made for computer-illiterate people by computer-illiterate people. lol

Quote Originally Posted by mtekk View Post
    Um, not quite, few are doing that, I can tell by the times (unless some one is running a raid array with some super fast SAS drives or those ramdisks, at least for those times under 1sec for 1M). The test is not seeing how long it takes to write to a file but how long it takes to generate the numbers in a retrievable manner. See the official rules:
    I assumed it was outputting it to a file. But if it's just displaying it, then I'll be able to do that very easily.
    Antec Sonata II | Pioneer DVR-212
    Good news! You can follow my website or follow me on twitter!

If we are sending the source to XcOM to run, he should be able to verify that it isn't doing a 1, 2 skip a few sort of thing.
    I guess it's just widely used and has had some of the best people in the world work on it, costing a ridiculous amount of money, for no actual reason. :/
    Projects:
    Book Of Knowledge

duct tape can fix anything Tavarin's Avatar

Just for the hell of it I wrote a 3 line piece of PHP code that would output the numbers to your browser. It's slow as sin if you lack a T1 connection, but it was interesting to see none the less.

I want to do this in VB 6.0, but I can't since I run a 64 bit system and lack the install for it. I might write it at school where they have VB 6 on all the computers.

I can give you a portable VB6 program that will work for all intents and purposes. PM for it if you want it.
    Projects:
    Book Of Knowledge

TBCS doesn't condone copyright infringment and you are walking on very ice trace with that remark.

and to clarafy the rules, your program dosen't have to write a file, just display the numbers in some form, even if it runs through them as it counts, this is just to make my life easier when checking the programs to ensure your not cheating.

Mary had a little lamb. It bumped into a pylon. Ten thousand volts went up its arse and turned its wool to nylon!