Thread: 20 to 24 adapter?

ATX Mental Case

Default 20 to 24 adapter?

I have an old Antec 300w power supply in my server which I want to use on my Retro-Hackintosh build. It has a 20-pin power cable though. It fits perfectly into my Intel 865gvhz mobo, but I don't have a 4-pin lead for the Processor.

So will this work or do I have to find something else? I don't think that's the right cable, unless the side pops off so I can route it to the CPU.

A 20 to 20+4 adapter seems to be elusive, as I haven't been able to find one anywhere. If I can't find one, I'll just hit Craigslist for a more recent PSU. Too bad, this 300w is really reliable.
    E2180 (2.0ghz) | 2GB DDR2 800 Tracers | 8600GT 256mb | XFX 610i nForce mobo | Lanbox Lite
    Intel Atom 230 - 1.6ghz | 2GB DDR2-667 | 945GCLF Mini-ITX | Apex MI-100 case

Default Re: 20 to 24 adapter?

Buy another PSU.

Second. Buy another PSU.. they are cheap enough that it's really not worth trying to find an adaptor for it, as I'm not sure they even exist.

HOWEVER.. I do know for a fact (tested using old hardware, so you do this at your own risk!) that one of my old 300w 20pin PSU's connected to the 24pin connector on a test Asus board, and it powered up and ran 100%!

I wasnt OC'ing it, and certainly didnt run it hard, but I had to power it up to confirm the board wasnt toast, and once it worked, I used it to run a hdd recovery.

So yeah, I plugged a 20 pin connector into a mobo with a 24pin slot, and it worked. YMMV.

\m/ d(-_-)b \m/

R9 290X+Kraken+Corsair H90, Xeon 5649@4ghz, Asus P6T-WS Pro

It's my advise to get a cheapish 450W PSU.

Just a couple for example:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817153027
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817103940
    Antec Sonata II | Pioneer DVR-212
    Good news! You can follow my website or follow me on twitter!

Stupidity feeds my children blueonblack's Avatar

I also know for a fact that an older 20-pin PSU will power a newer system with a 24-pin ATX connector. I know because I am typing on a system with that setup right now. Just line up the release latch and plug it in, leaving four pin holes on one end empty. The other four pins on that connector are simply to provide more power to existing circuits, so that adaptor will not do anything since your PSU is still limited to it's existing amperage. In fact, it will do a tiny bit of harm, since you will have at least a small voltage drop at the connectors. Not sure about your board (can't seem to find a pic of it anywhere), but mine has a separate 4-pin connector for the CPU.
    ________
    Herbal vaporizers
    Last edited by blueonblack; 02-24-2011 at 02:27 PM.

I know for a fact that those connectors exist, because I have one. But you have to make sure you need THAT plug. Those plugs are for motherboards with a 24-pin (2x 12 in a row) connectors. not for a 20-pin connector plus a 4-pin connector near the processor.

If the last is your situation you probably need 12V to be supplied to the processor to get more reliability or something (not sure on that)

As for starting a 24-pin board with a 20-pin plug: I did that once, it gave some beeps and a led came on, but it didn't start. Eventually smoke came from my LAN-chip... mobo dead now...

So, my advise is: Figure out what you need (maybe you can post a picture of your motherboard?) and then find the parts you need.

hope that helps.