Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Creative caught crippling their products!!!

Default Creative caught crippling their products!!!

Have you guys been keeping up on this at all??!?!
    I am so pissed it is amazing!

Synopsis: A driver modder was altering the Creative drivers to work "as they should" in Vista, what he found was that Creative was intentionally crippling their drivers!

http://www.custompc.co.uk/news/60234...own/page1.html

http://www.maximumpc.com/article/dai...ernet_backlash
    http://blog.wired.com/gadgets/2008/0..._k-who-fi.html

242 pages of responses on Creatives own website, and their VP stepped in it big when he effectively confirmed what their company was doing!
    "O'Shaughnessy also wrote that whether or not it cripples its Vista drivers is a "business decision that only we have the right to make."

WTF?!?!?

Read on, make your own opinion on this.

As for me, all Creative product will be removed from my house. X-Fi, speakers, everything...

-=TD
    -=:http://www.tech-daddy.com:=-
    (yeah I know... I need to update it... BUT I NEED TO MOD!!! )

Default Re: Creative caught crippling their products!!!

-=:http://www.tech-daddy.com:=-
    (yeah I know... I need to update it... BUT I NEED TO MOD!!! )

Thanks for bringing this to my attention! I have not seen any of this. I have suspected this behavior from Creative for a while. I had gotten one of their webcams just before Vista was released. It worked great under XP, nice form factor.. its one of the Ultra Notebook versions so it will clip itself to the laptop screen, etc etc. Well Vista hits and a few months go by, so I decided to give the trial a shot. Everything loaded up, and I went out to get the Vista drivers for the webcam... well guess what.. No Vista drivers available, and a note saying that this cam will essentially not be supported, and there are no plans for a vista driver release. This web cam is maybe 4 months old, and it was a newer model when I bought it. So of course there is a NEW webcam that is supported by Vista. So to me the kicker is the fact that I have an old Compaq webcam that I have had since 1998, plugged it in and Vista sees it with out issue. So obviously its not that CL couldn't provide a working driver, they wanted to sell new webcams. I will no longer buy Creative Lab products. As for removing current CL products, at the moment I have an older Live card sitting on the shelf that I am not using anyway, but I may have a tough time getting rid of my recently purchased GigaWorks T20s. But I will definitely not be buying anything in the future, unless they do something drastic to make this right!

This is one of the things I really love about the internet. I hope this really shows the corporations that it really is your customers that can make or break you, and you should never just rest on your name! 2400 unsatisfied customers and growing on their support forums!! Gotta love it.

Thanks for sharing,

HACKERS of the WORLD UNITE!! (Sorry couldn't resist!)

ATX Mental Case Cookies N' Milk's Avatar

That is pretty messed up. I guess I will be running down to the store when it opens today to replace my Creative sound card + speakers and to buy my mom a new MP3 since she uses a Zen.

He may have been in the wrong to be asking for donations but still Creative screwed up big on this one. I read about 10pages of that post on their forums and it looks like a lot of people will not be buying creative products again.
    Current Project: Resistance
    My New Super Sexy WorkStation Specs:
    2x Intel Quad-Core Xeon E5420 2.5GHz 12MB Cache @ 3.0GHz, 4x2GB Kingston FB-DIMM 800MHz ECC, Intel SkullTrail Board, 4x WD Raptor 74GB HardDrives in Raid 0, 2x Seagate 320GB HardDrives, ATI FireGL V8650-Switched back to an 8800GT for now cause of driver problems, ThermalTake ToughPower 1200Watt PSU, Blackmagic Intensity Pro Capture Card

I'll be getting an X-Fi... but not from creative.
    Antec Sonata II | Pioneer DVR-212
    Good news! You can follow my website or follow me on twitter!

some custom title eh Cannibal23's Avatar

Creative as a buisness can choose to make as they say " a business decision that only we have the right to make". even if it is a very poor one. unfortunately for them screwing their customers in order to make a few extra bucks clasifies them as one of those big evil corprations.

fortunately however we as consumers have the right to choose not to purchase stock or support any product with a creative branding or that contains electronics designed by them. when companies get to big they foolishly get the feeling that they may do as they like without regard for their customers.

my suggestion to any and all users of creative products that were labeled vista ready and are still not working properly would be to begin organising a class action case against them as well as a false advertising suit if posable. the only way to bitch slap a company is to take the money out of their bank account.
    - The stone knows not why the chistle cleves it
    - The steel knows not why the fire scorches it
    - When thy life is cleft and scorched
    - Curse not thine evil fate
    - Thank the builder for the trials that shape thee.

The problem with class action lawsuits is that usually only the lawyers win. The only cards I've seen that have said they were "Vista Ready" are the X-Fi Xtreme Audio, which isn't even a true X-Fi (not an EMU20K chipset). Though, with an Xtreme Audio for laptops, I had no problems getting it working on my Vista laptop with Creative's drivers. This doesn't mean what they are doing isn't shady, just most people are over reacting about it.
    Quote Originally Posted by xRyokenx View Post
    ...I'm getting tired of not being able to figure this crap out because it's apparently made for computer-illiterate people by computer-illiterate people. lol

This really upsets me. Creative is attempting to force all buyers to use their top of the line stuff. This locks a lot of buyers out who don't need and won't pay for it. So creative will really lose money in the end. Plus their treatment of people trying to get functionality from the cards they paid for with advertised features not supported is completely uncalled for. If their drivers don't work they should support those who make ones that do work. I am all for a boycott.

I'm not really knowledgeable on soundcards. So I ask who besides Creative can I get a decent soundcard from. I might be needing a low profile card that can support 5.1 or 7.1 surround sound for a carPC I plan on building.
    In Progress An Updated (Mac) Classic
    Completed Performa, BOX
    Hiatus Highrise
    Upcoming NightShift
    Cancelled Dell XPS, Framed, Busy

Like a Lightning Bolt in Your Cheerios! Drum Thumper's Avatar

Microsoft did the same thing with the release of Vista (crippling a product) and yet no one complained. Rather, computer companies jumped in bed with Microsoft and pushed some extremely buggy software onto the (mostly) unsuspecting public.

This guy is damn lucky he doesn't live in the United States--he'd most likely be in jail right now. He got a proverbial slap on the wrist and he's bitching more than a two year old because he got told no.

I personally don't see what the big fuss is about, and as long as Creative cards do what I want them to do (in linux), I will be continuing my use of them.
    Quote Originally Posted by artoodeeto View Post
    aw heck guys. We're modders. Let's just build our own, shall we?

DrumThumper.net || The Brewing Art ||
    My Flickr Stream

Creative is trying to force normal buyers to spend more money which is not fair. At least I can still use XP without reduced functionality.

Also in order to use the cards with Linux do you have to make custom drivers? Or use less than great default drivers that don't take advantage of the full features of the cards? Because if either are the case then you might want to take interest in this issue. Because Creative was basically at first trying to require people use their own drivers not custom ones. And the drivers they were making are for full functionality of the cards. Just because you may not use all the advertised features does not mean other people won't use them either.
    In Progress An Updated (Mac) Classic
    Completed Performa, BOX
    Hiatus Highrise
    Upcoming NightShift
    Cancelled Dell XPS, Framed, Busy