Thread: Quad core temps

ATX Mental Case Cookies N' Milk's Avatar

Default Quad core temps

I got a new server setup a installed Windows so that I could play around with it a bit before I install Linux and use it for real. I did all my benchmarking stuff and decided to download coretemp to see how well the case cooling system works. This is where I scratched my head and said "huh?"
    The server is running two quad core xeons 2.5GHz (E5420) and using passive coolers.

At idle the temps are fine except for one core. The first core on the second proc reads as 75C. Too high for me. But then at full load (100% cpu usage over all 8 cores) the same core reads as 75C still. No matter what I do short of removing the heatsink the temp on that core never changes.
    Screenshot:

And now after looking at that screenshot it seems like the second proc's temps are all over the place compared to the first one.

Anyways, not sure if it is normal for it to be doing that or if I should be sending the proc back. I have only ever checked the temps on the 771 systems i have worked on via the bios so I have no idea if that second xeon is ok or not.
    Current Project: Resistance
    My New Super Sexy WorkStation Specs:
    2x Intel Quad-Core Xeon E5420 2.5GHz 12MB Cache @ 3.0GHz, 4x2GB Kingston FB-DIMM 800MHz ECC, Intel SkullTrail Board, 4x WD Raptor 74GB HardDrives in Raid 0, 2x Seagate 320GB HardDrives, ATI FireGL V8650-Switched back to an 8800GT for now cause of driver problems, ThermalTake ToughPower 1200Watt PSU, Blackmagic Intensity Pro Capture Card

Default Re: Quad core temps

IT seems a little strange to me.... contact intel and ask them. Something isn't right.
    Antec Sonata II | Pioneer DVR-212
    Good news! You can follow my website or follow me on twitter!

E series CPU's have known issues with temperature reporting.. contacting Intel would likely just confirm this.

My E8400 does the same thing.. reports the temp as 49'C at idle, and -27'C under load.

Touch test confirms that my big Zalman cooler is keeping the temp at an acceptable level.

\m/ d(-_-)b \m/

R9 290X+Kraken+Corsair H90, Xeon 5649@4ghz, Asus P6T-WS Pro

I was just looking up your specs. That is one sexy mobo.
    Look at all those slots

I would recommending using the Tyan System Monitor software. Iv'e used several different temp programs with different results.
    See what the program Dr.Hardware says.

TSM is the sickest monitor ever. BUT it shows the same thing as core temp and the BIOS

And yes that is one pretty Sexy board. I decided to get one with only the PCI-e x16 and bottom PCI expansion slot because I will be using a dual card slot graphics card and I have no use for the PCI-X lanes Saved myself a few bucks. I am waiting for new ram though, 4GB sticks and I'm going to fill all 8 of those ram slots ^^
    2x Intel Quad-Core Xeon E5420 2.5GHz 12MB Cache @ 3.0GHz, 4x2GB Kingston FB-DIMM 800MHz ECC, Intel SkullTrail Board, 4x WD Raptor 74GB HardDrives in Raid 0, 2x Seagate 320GB HardDrives, ATI FireGL V8650-Switched back to an 8800GT for now cause of driver problems, ThermalTake ToughPower 1200Watt PSU, Blackmagic Intensity Pro Capture Card

So I gave something a shot just to see if it was the processor or the mainboard. I swaped Proc1 for Proc2. I'm now 100% sure it is the processor because even after switching sockets that processor is reading as 75C on the first core.

EDIT: Now Vista is being stupid and said I changed the hardware but it won't let me reactivate

I've recently had problems with vista telling me my mother's copy is not geniune.... but I went onto their validation site and it says it is :s
    Antec Sonata II | Pioneer DVR-212
    Good news! You can follow my website or follow me on twitter!

Quote Originally Posted by crenn View Post
    I've recently had problems with vista telling me my mother's copy is not geniune.... but I went onto their validation site and it says it is :s
    It is wanting to reactivate cause I swapped the processors. I have to call them cause it refuses to activate online -.-

Anyways after calling Intel just now and talking to a "Tech" for 45minutes they are going to replace it. At first they tried to tell me it was my mainboard/socket and that the processor was fine but then I pulled out my trusty Tempest 5400XT mainboard and shut em up when I got the same readings on it

So for now my workstation is missing a proc

Quote Originally Posted by Cookies N' Milk View Post
    EDIT: Now Vista is being stupid and said I changed the hardware but it won't let me reactivate
    i've had that with xp, all you gotta do is call them up with the phone activation and that should work. then again its vista no xp so don't know for sure.
    CPU: Q6600 G0 3.5GHz@1.4v (4.2GHz max) / 4790k 4.8ghz @1.265v
    GPU: 9800GTX /GTX780 hydrocopper
    Ram: Samsung 4GB /gskill 16gb DDR3 1600
    Mobo: EVGA-NF68-A1 680i (P32) /AsRock Extreme6
    PSU: Enermax Galaxy 850Watt /EVGA 850 G2
    HDD: OCZ 120GB Vertex4, Samsung evo 840 250GB
    LCD: Samsung 32" LN32A450, Samsung 226BW 22" wide
    Sound: Logtiech Z 5500
    CPU & GPU: 3x Swiftech MCR320, 2x MCP655, MCW60 R2, Dtek Fuzion V2, 18 high speed yates @ 5v

Quote Originally Posted by Spawn-Inc View Post
    i've had that with xp, all you gotta do is call them up with the phone activation and that should work. then again its vista no xp so don't know for sure.
    I got an OEM version of Vista and they always complain about me reinstalling the OS every couple of months. If they made the OS decent enough so that it doesn't ruin my RAID array randomly I wouldn't have to call them all the time >.<

Anyways, Intel sent RMA info and I'm shipping the proc to them. One thing I hate about RMAs is that I have to pay shipping when it is their product that is not working -.-