Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Intel iMac Mod--Ambitious or Just Daft?

Fresh Paint

Default Intel iMac Mod--Ambitious or Just Daft?

Yes, that's right. I'd like to mod the casing of my 20" Intel iMac. (White casing era.)

I've been doing some research into the subject (namely looking into taking them apart), and I think it's possible, but I might just need a slap in the face. Feel free to provide that slap.

A little over a year ago, my computer had a nasty run-in with some scented oil from Pier 1. While the screen came out unscathed, the oil reacted with the polycarbonate plastic Apple used to make the rest of the casing, leaving a whole splattering of drop-spots quite literally etched into the plastic. You can't see it from a distance, but up close at working distance it looks like Jackson Pollock had at it with hydrochloric acid. I'm sick of looking at the splotches, and since they're textured, there's no hope of painting over them. So, if I'm going to mod it, I'd like to go with an involved thematic mod.

Due to my nomadic college student lifestyle, I need to keep my modifications rather minimalistic so I can keep using my iLugger case. I'm thinking of just painting the back, and replacing the front faceplate entirely. I have no idea what I'm going to do about the stand yet.

The trouble with replacing the faceplate is, unlike say, a monitor mod, I have to consider accommodating the microphone, the camera, the CD slot, the IR sensor, and the power/sleep light. Keep in mind, I'm doing this for purely aesthetic reasons.

In case anyone's wondering, I'm intending on doing a vaguely steampunk design with a distinctly art nouveau twist.

ATX Mental Case

Default Re: Intel iMac Mod--Ambitious or Just Daft?

A black mac would definitely be pimpin', much better than all the white/grey macs out there!

When you talk about an iMac, are you talking about the new, flat ones, or the old CRT's? Pictures are worth 1000(+) words.

As far as covering the spots, a light sanding and then bondo/sand/primer/sand/primer/paint would take care of it.

\m/ d(-_-)b \m/

R9 290X+Kraken+Corsair H90, Xeon 5649@4ghz, Asus P6T-WS Pro

Quote Originally Posted by Luke122 View Post
    When you talk about an iMac, are you talking about the new, flat ones, or the old CRT's? Pictures are worth 1000(+) words.
    He said it was an intel mac, so it has to be one of the newer flat panel based ones. Sounds like the generation before the current wide screen, aluminum ones.
    Quote Originally Posted by xRyokenx View Post
    ...I'm getting tired of not being able to figure this crap out because it's apparently made for computer-illiterate people by computer-illiterate people. lol

Ah yes, my bad, didnt see the Intel part.

*blush*

Well, a quick sand and repaint should cover them, but if the surface is etched/deformed by the spill, then some bondo may be needed to smooth it out.

\m/ d(-_-)b \m/

Fresh Paint

Mtekk is right. (Save for the "he" part. =P ) It's one of these. (With proof the front can be removed.)

A sand and repaint might cover it, but if I'm going to go through that trouble I might as well get creative with it. I'm not going to be able to preserve the original appearance of the case no matter what anyway--the original Apple paint job is inside the plastic, and it's the outside that's scarred. So, yeah. *Apple default design goes flying out the window*

Luke122, have you worked with Bondo yourself? I know it's supposed to be strong, but I'd like to do some relief work on the outer edges, and I'm wondering if it would withstand frequent transport.

ATX Mental Case Cookies N' Milk's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Poofiemus@commspeed.net View Post
    Mtekk is right. (Save for the "he" part. =P ) It's one of these. (With proof the front can be removed.)

A sand and repaint might cover it, but if I'm going to go through that trouble I might as well get creative with it. I'm not going to be able to preserve the original appearance of the case no matter what anyway--the original Apple paint job is inside the plastic, and it's the outside that's scarred. So, yeah. *Apple default design goes flying out the window*

Luke122, have you worked with Bondo yourself? I know it's supposed to be strong, but I'd like to do some relief work on the outer edges, and I'm wondering if it would withstand frequent transport.
    Bondo is strong stuff. Not as strong as metal but it can take a fair amount of abuse.
    Current Project: Resistance
    My New Super Sexy WorkStation Specs:
    2x Intel Quad-Core Xeon E5420 2.5GHz 12MB Cache @ 3.0GHz, 4x2GB Kingston FB-DIMM 800MHz ECC, Intel SkullTrail Board, 4x WD Raptor 74GB HardDrives in Raid 0, 2x Seagate 320GB HardDrives, ATI FireGL V8650-Switched back to an 8800GT for now cause of driver problems, ThermalTake ToughPower 1200Watt PSU, Blackmagic Intensity Pro Capture Card

Fresh Paint

Quote Originally Posted by Cookies N' Milk View Post
    Bondo is strong stuff. Not as strong as metal but it can take a fair amount of abuse.
    That's very good to know. Even if I go with brass or copper as per my original idea, it'd probably be great for the World of Warcraft mod my mom requested. XD I really am leaning more towards the idea of using epoxy with a faux-metal paint job, though. It probably weighs a lot less.

Still, the more I look around these forums, and the more I hear from people in this particular thread, the more possible it sounds. The back's going to be the biggest bitch, I think. I'm a little leary of taking the chips out for fear of not putting them back in the right place, but I'm just as worried about leaving them in for fear of getting paint in something.

Ah well. What's a mod without some bizarre technical difficulty?

Mtekk is right. (Save for the "he" part. =P )
    Sorry about that, made an assumption, stupid me...
    Quote Originally Posted by xRyokenx View Post
    ...I'm getting tired of not being able to figure this crap out because it's apparently made for computer-illiterate people by computer-illiterate people. lol

That's very good to know. Even if I go with brass or copper as per my original idea, it'd probably be great for the World of Warcraft mod my mom requested. XD I really am leaning more towards the idea of using epoxy with a faux-metal paint job, though. It probably weighs a lot less.
    Definitely will weigh less.

Still, the more I look around these forums, and the more I hear from people in this particular thread, the more possible it sounds. The back's going to be the biggest bitch, I think. I'm a little leary of taking the chips out for fear of not putting them back in the right place, but I'm just as worried about leaving them in for fear of getting paint in something.
    Once you open it up, you'll see that pretty much everything inside is one big piece. Anything that needs to be disassembled from the internal components will likely only fit in one spot, and those that fit in more than one spot will either be color coded/labelled, or will work in other spots.

Ah well. What's a mod without some bizarre technical difficulty?
    Not a mod.

\m/ d(-_-)b \m/