Thread: Needing an optical drive

ATX Mental Case Cookies N' Milk's Avatar

Default Needing an optical drive

So I got my new Tyan mainboard today and put the system together. Was just about to connect the IDE cable when I noticed something. There is NO IDE connector on the mainboard. Not even a floppy connector. Wtf eh? Anyways I need a DVD drive to fit in a slimline bay and it has to be SATA. I looked around online and the only ones I found were $150+

Anyone know of a slimline SATA DVD drive that isn't expensive?

Btw it doesn't matter if it is a rewritable drive. A DVD-Rom is fine.
    Current Project: Resistance
    My New Super Sexy WorkStation Specs:
    2x Intel Quad-Core Xeon E5420 2.5GHz 12MB Cache @ 3.0GHz, 4x2GB Kingston FB-DIMM 800MHz ECC, Intel SkullTrail Board, 4x WD Raptor 74GB HardDrives in Raid 0, 2x Seagate 320GB HardDrives, ATI FireGL V8650-Switched back to an 8800GT for now cause of driver problems, ThermalTake ToughPower 1200Watt PSU, Blackmagic Intensity Pro Capture Card

I've got the madcow, what's your excuse? Bopher's Avatar

Default Re: Needing an optical drive

What about something like this?
    Cheap temp fix until prices come down or som e$$ is scrapped together.

"Technical neglect is one of the worst kinds of neglect, won't you sponsor an octal or adsl2 card so they can someday grow up into big capable adsl2+ cards? random celebrity does."

Quote Originally Posted by Bopher View Post
    What about something like this?
    Cheap temp fix until prices come down or som e$$ is scrapped together.
    That might work perfectly. I might even have one laying around here.

Thanks, going to look into that some more.
    2x Intel Quad-Core Xeon E5420 2.5GHz 12MB Cache @ 3.0GHz, 4x2GB Kingston FB-DIMM 800MHz ECC, Intel SkullTrail Board, 4x WD Raptor 74GB HardDrives in Raid 0, 2x Seagate 320GB HardDrives, ATI FireGL V8650-Switched back to an 8800GT for now cause of driver problems, ThermalTake ToughPower 1200Watt PSU, Blackmagic Intensity Pro Capture Card

Either that or a PATA PCI card, though I'm making the assumption that it'd have to be slimline... You'll need an adapter anyway, of course, to mount a laptop drive in there so it'd probably be more cost-effective to try his solution.

Might have to get one of those, Bopher... but then I'd need a SATA card for one of my old micro boards!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitternacht View Post
    Everyone else had quotes, and I didn't. I figured the next funny thing I see I'd throw in my sig.
    Quote Originally Posted by Luke122 View Post
    Jon, the whole post is about building a bong that changes its own water.
    Gee, it damn sure took me long enough to find and add the origin of the first quote...

This may be a better option, if only because it's made just for slimline/laptop drives.

I have one, seems to work okay so far, but I'd suggest buying the adapter plate because there's no other secure mounting method.

Quote Originally Posted by FuzzyPlushroom View Post
    Either that or a PATA PCI card, though I'm making the assumption that it'd have to be slimline... You'll need an adapter anyway, of course, to mount a laptop drive in there so it'd probably be more cost-effective to try his solution.

Might have to get one of those, Bopher... but then I'd need a SATA card for one of my old micro boards!
    I thought about a PCI card but I only have one expansion slot on the 1U Chassis and the only PCI lane I have on the board is at the very bottom Only other expansion slot is a PCI-E.

Quote Originally Posted by widefault View Post
    This may be a better option, if only because it's made just for slimline/laptop drives.

I have one, seems to work okay so far, but I'd suggest buying the adapter plate because there's no other secure mounting method.
    I might have to order a few of those. Could be useful for other projects.