Thread: PSU advice please

Stupidity feeds my children blueonblack's Avatar

Default PSU advice please

Over the years I have been very slow to learn that I can actually learn from the experience of others. I had to get burned myself before I would believe that the fire was hot (literally and figuratively). I am hoping to hear the voice of experience here.

Building a new system and wondering about the PSU. I will be buying a 750-watt modular Ultra PSU:

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...3596&CatId=106

Specifications

AC INPUT 115V/230V - 60/50Hz
    DC OUTPUT +3.3V (24A) +5V (28A) +12V (25a) +12V (28A)
    -12V (0.8A) -5V (-) +5VSB (2.5A)
    750W Max Combined Watts

It has dual 12-volt rails and all the connectors and cables I will need. I will be running an Athlon 64FX processor, three fans, a low-end PCIe video card (but should include the power to upgrade later), several lights (figure ten CCFL's) and a plasma ball. Pretty sure it has the total wattage I need but the amperage is my question. I had originally purchased a 400-watt PSU similar in many ways but:

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...p?Sku=ULT33162

Specifications

AC INPUT 115V/230V 10A/6A 60/50Hz
    DC OUTPUT +3.3V (30A) +5V (32A) +12V (16A) -12V (0.8A) -5V (0.3A)
    +5VSB (2A)
    400W Max Combined Watts

I can use both of these if necessary, the lower-wattage PSU for my accessories for example, but would rather use the larger one alone if it will suffice for my needs. I am designing the build around my components so I need to decide how many PSUs it will have before I cut the rear panel.

So, bottom line, will this 750-watt PSU do everything I need it to do, or do I need to add this 400-watt to it to handle some of the load?
    “Do not trust people like me. I will take you to museums, and parks, and monuments, and kiss you in every beautiful place, so that you can never go back to them without tasting me like blood in your mouth. I will destroy you in the most beautiful way possible, and when I leave you will finally understand why storms are named after people.”

Quote Originally Posted by Mitternacht View Post
    Everyone else had quotes, and I didn't. I figured the next funny thing I see I'd throw in my sig.
    Quote Originally Posted by Luke122 View Post
    Jon, the whole post is about building a bong that changes its own water.
    Gee, it damn sure took me long enough to find and add the origin of the first quote...

Sunshine Flavored Lollipops Zephik's Avatar

Default Re: PSU advice please

Quote Originally Posted by FuzzyPlushroom View Post
    You can't polish a turd.
    Well you can, but that doesn't change the fact that its a turd.

To figure out if your power supply will be able to supply you with all the wattage you need, here is a calculator! If that one doesn't fit your needs, then you can always try googling for another one.

I'm not entirely sure, but I think its been mentioned that SeaSonic and Sparkle are good Power Supply makers. Most of their stuff is 80 percent efficient as well I believe.

If your not sure about a certain power supply, I would try looking for it at newegg.com so you can check the user reviews. That will usually help you figure out if its a good power supply or not.
    People are stupid; given proper motivation, almost anyone will believe almost anything. Because people are stupid, they will believe a lie because they want to believe it's true, or because they are afraid it might be true. People’s heads are full of knowledge, facts, and beliefs, and most of it is false, yet they think it all true. People are stupid; they can only rarely tell the difference between a lie and the truth, and yet they are confident they can, and so are all the easier to fool.

http://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/sh...19&postcount=4

That's JonnyGuru's PSU quality chart, by color. Accurate, and based on real, qualified observations.

In short, I'd go for Antec, Enermax, Enhance/Silverstone, Fortron/Sparkle, Seventeam, etc. (I own a 250w "better Wintech", a 250-300w Channel Well, a 420w Enermax, and a 550w Seventeam, and they all do very well at a fairly low cost.)

Many PSUs are rebranded - some Ultra models are excellent, while others (including yours, I'm sorry to say) are downright fire hazards. For example, my ~550w Seventeam is marked as a 650w Cooler Master.

Newegg's reviews are an OK source of information, but your safest bet is just to post a few links here, bounce things off us.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitternacht View Post
    Everyone else had quotes, and I didn't. I figured the next funny thing I see I'd throw in my sig.
    Quote Originally Posted by Luke122 View Post
    Jon, the whole post is about building a bong that changes its own water.
    Gee, it damn sure took me long enough to find and add the origin of the first quote...

go with a corsair 550watt psu, it will be equal to that 750watt one.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817139004
    CPU: Q6600 G0 3.5GHz@1.4v (4.2GHz max) / 4790k 4.8ghz @1.265v
    GPU: 9800GTX /GTX780 hydrocopper
    Ram: Samsung 4GB /gskill 16gb DDR3 1600
    Mobo: EVGA-NF68-A1 680i (P32) /AsRock Extreme6
    PSU: Enermax Galaxy 850Watt /EVGA 850 G2
    HDD: OCZ 120GB Vertex4, Samsung evo 840 250GB
    LCD: Samsung 32" LN32A450, Samsung 226BW 22" wide
    Sound: Logtiech Z 5500
    CPU & GPU: 3x Swiftech MCR320, 2x MCP655, MCW60 R2, Dtek Fuzion V2, 18 high speed yates @ 5v

750watts will be fine on its own for your load list, but please google "power supply reviews" write down the top four names and buy one of them. Any PSU cheaper than 80 dollars or 40 pounds is pretty suspect. Don't forget its taking high mains AC voltage and turning it into a set of very accurate DC supplies. Its in a sealed steel box to save your life. Don't forget "electricity only kills you once!"
    much cheer
    John