Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Insomnia? ....

I subscribed to this thread. BigJohnson's Avatar

Default Re: Insomnia? ....

I know where all of you are coming from. I have been living on my own for a while but its still stressful. Bills, what you have to do, what you have time to do. What did I forget to do? All of those eat at me while I try to sleep. But I have tried a lot of this stuff and still have a problem. But I have started rationalize with myself. I consider it good sleep if I can get moving and stay moving all day. I consider it bad sleep when I cant get moving in the morning. More recently this is what I have been having, but I have been sick the last week and I went to 2 parties last weekend. So its mostly my fault for only allowing myself a few hours to sleep. But if Im only getting 2 hours i should only lay give myself 2 hours.

As it has been mentioned already that doesnt work. You should lay there all night even if you dont sleep. You will be more rested than if you were to not relax than if you were to relax.
    Last edited by BigJohnson; 03-12-2008 at 09:31 AM. Reason: This might not make sense. It wasnt one of those good rest nights.

Yet another night of very little sleep. I got a little less then an hour. I feel so exhausted but I cant sleep (and that was induced with meds). To late now, time to start the day.

-dan

Click here for the Battlefield 2 L.A.N. Pc worklog.

I subscribed to this thread. BigJohnson's Avatar

I think, in another world, you and I are brothers. I also got very little sleep. Although I did not induce meds, but Im exhausted this morning. Im fighting the urge to drink caffeine. I'll just end up crashing this afternoon and be worthless.

I tossed and turned all night last night also. Might have gotten an hour of sleep. Drank coffee to help keep alert today at work. Now I'm worried I won't sleep again tonight because of the coffee I drank today. Oh well, 1 more shift to go and then I get 24 hours off.

Working shift work really plays havoc with sleep patterns. Switching from sleeping at night to work days and then sleeping all day to work nights messes a lot of people up. Add in a bunch of stress from work, and I sometimes get my days and nights screwed up even on days off, like waking up at 2am wide awake and ready for the day (when I'm on day shift I wake up before 4 am).
    My goal in life is to earn enough money to enjoy the lifestyle that my wife and kids do.

Quote Originally Posted by danthegeek View Post
    Yet another night of very little sleep. I got a little less then an hour. I feel so exhausted but I cant sleep (and that was induced with meds). To late now, time to start the day.

-dan
    That sucks Dan, I definitely know the feeling. I would try exactly this, it's my emergency "will sleep or punch the first person I see in the morning" plan;

Take a real hot bath 45 minutes before bed and soak for at least 10-15 minutes. Depending on what you are taking, I guess take as directed (i.e. at bedtime, 30 min before, or whatever). If you have time beforehand, try to download some thunderstorm audio samples and play it softly in the background. Make sure it's pitch black in your room. This is the best mix that works for me, hope it helps a couple of you fellas out.
    "At the midpoint on the journey of life, I found myself in a dark forest, for the clear path was lost..." -Dante Alighieri

Sexy Hot Nurse ..... NOT!! b4i7's Avatar

aye...nother night of no sleep for me

left home to go visit my mom through easter, left any sleep aids at home figuring the lack of stress would help...guess i was wrong

Quote Originally Posted by intergalacticman View Post
    stunning, how does one tap a hole?

I quit smoking yesterday, had my last cigarette in the evening. I was up all night last night rolling around in my bed, humming random tunes, stretching, reading, etc. The cravings were just terrible. I find it a bit ironic, though, that eventually I'll begin to need less sleep anyways, as my body will retain more energy when it has healed itself more from previous tobacco smoke.

The worst thing for my sleep pattern was listening to music as I went to sleep. I used to do that for several years during middle school, and maybe even before that. I ended up listening to late night DJs rather than sleeping. It totally screwed up my sleeping and made it difficult for me to fall asleep. After I gave that up it still took me forever to fall asleep.

One thing I found helped me sleep better is kinda simple but made a world of difference. I changed where I slept. Last year for about 2 months I had to sleep on the sofabed in the family room of my house because my former bedroom was torn out to gain access to a new addition that was being put on the house. While the sofabed had a much worse mattress I ended up sleeping better than I had in a long time just because it was different.

My suggestion to those of you having issues getting to sleep is to change up where you sleep. The simplest way is just to rearrange your room and move the bed to some completely different position. You also may consider getting a different bed, doesn't have to be some miracle sleep bed just different maybe change the size or whatever. That can be expensive so a good way to test this is spend a night in a decent hotel (I find hotels geared to business travelers have the best beds), if you sleep better then maybe you should try getting a new bed.

This isn't anything that I've heard or read about I just observed how it has helped me so figured I'd throw it out there. This might be more effective for people who have bad sleeping habits like I used to more so than people with actual disorders. But let me know if it helps anyone.
    In Progress An Updated (Mac) Classic
    Completed Performa, BOX
    Hiatus Highrise
    Upcoming NightShift
    Cancelled Dell XPS, Framed, Busy