Thread: Subwoofer Amplifier?

I mod everything I touch. Indybird's Avatar

Default Subwoofer Amplifier?

So I have a 180W 10" Subwoofer with a cabinet but no amplifier. I was looking into getting a new home theater subwoofer amplifier. When it comes to speaker building, I don't know much about where to buy parts, and what parts are good.

I'm looking for a 160W-180W home theater sub amplifier (used and for sale online is fine), to get for this subwoofer.

So what should I be looking for?

Thanks,
    Indybird

Default Re: Subwoofer Amplifier?

Partsexpress.com = WIN. This link is for a 240w plate amp, for $115. Yes, it's more power than you need, but think of it like this: To get the full output of 240w, that's running the amp at full volume, with tons of distortion. Since you'll only need 180w RMS, you'll get more than enough power to run the sub loud AND clean.

Whats the details on the sub you have? Sensitivity is a big concern for output, and if the cabinet isn't built to the proper specs, you might not get very good performance from it. Have you got a Brand/Model for the sub?

Also, Dstilgar can tell you about building a sub enclosure with an amp, he did the companion cube build.

\m/ d(-_-)b \m/

R9 290X+Kraken+Corsair H90, Xeon 5649@4ghz, Asus P6T-WS Pro

I mod everything I touch. Indybird's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Luke122 View Post
    Partsexpress.com = WIN.

Also, Dstilgar can tell you about building a sub enclosure with an amp, he did the companion cube build.
    Yeah I checked out Partsexpress but they only had 8 sub amps, and none of them we're really what I was looking for.

Thanks though,
    Indybird

Custom Title Honors

What about a good power converter and an automotive amp?

I did this with our entertainment center a friend and I built. 2 12" solobarics, a 2000W SPL Amp, 1 Farad Capacitor, and a 12V Power Converter rated for 25-30A. Left, Center, Right channel speakers were also automotive and sound plenty good, they were also cheaper. The Power Converter is where you would end up spending most of the money. A small amp like you need wouldn't cost much especially if you have a "flea market" type store around where you can negotiate the prices.

On Backup:: CPU- Q9300 Stock HS/F :: MB- Intel board :: RAM- 4 GB Corsair Dominator DDR2 1066 (2x2GB) :: GFX- 8800GS HDD- 320GB OS; 1x2TB Storage :: ROM- DVD-ROM :: PSU- Antec 48W :: OS- Win7 x64 :: CASE- CM Centurion 590 :: MON- Dell 1708FP :: MOUSE- Logitech G5 ::