Thread: Audiophile Deathmatch: Monster Cables vs. a Coat Hanger

Default Audiophile Deathmatch: Monster Cables vs. a Coat Hanger

Whether or not Monster Cables are worth it is a war that has raged since home theater immemorial. A poster at Audioholics was put in a room with five fellow audiophiles, and a Martin Logan SL-3 speaker set at 75Db at 1000KHz playing a mix of "smooth, trio, easy listening jazz" that no one had heard before. In one corner, Monster 1000 speaker cables. In the other, four coat hangers twisted and soldered into a speaker cable.

Seven songs were played while the group was blindfolded and the cables swapped back and forth. Not only "after 5 tests, none could determine which was the Monster 1000 cable or the coat hanger wire," but no one knew a coat hanger was used in the first place.

Further, when music was played through the coat hanger wire, we were asked if what we heard sounded good to us. All agreed that what was heard sounded excellent, however, when A-B tests occured, it was impossible to determine which sounded best the majority of the time and which wire was in use.

It's possible these guys weren't super-hardcore audiophiles that might not be able to tell the difference. Ignoring the main point for a second, we don't really recommend re-wiring your home theater after a firesale on wire hangers.
    Apparently this test was done in 2004 but only recently has come into the lime light. Save yourself some cash and buy the cheapo cables.

Sunshine Flavored Lollipops Zephik's Avatar

Default Re: Audiophile Deathmatch: Monster Cables vs. a Coat Hanger

Yay... I spent a hundred dollars on three feet of monster cable... at least they look amazing, right? lol

Another funny thing about cables that I just found out a day or so ago. You can buy Cat5-6 Networking cable for;

1000ft - $75
    500ft - $70
    250ft - $33
    100ft - $10
    75ft - $10
    50ft - $5.50

I just bought 40ft of cat6 for like $50 dollars. Well, I think its pretty safe to say that either I'm an idiot or I'm not cheap. Since we all know I'm cheap, that only leaves one option left. lol
    People are stupid; given proper motivation, almost anyone will believe almost anything. Because people are stupid, they will believe a lie because they want to believe it's true, or because they are afraid it might be true. People’s heads are full of knowledge, facts, and beliefs, and most of it is false, yet they think it all true. People are stupid; they can only rarely tell the difference between a lie and the truth, and yet they are confident they can, and so are all the easier to fool.

haha, just need to look some more for those deals. i just got the logitech z5500's for 310 all said and done but i could have gotten it for 225 at tiger direct. ohwell **** happens.
    CPU: Q6600 G0 3.5GHz@1.4v (4.2GHz max) / 4790k 4.8ghz @1.265v
    GPU: 9800GTX /GTX780 hydrocopper
    Ram: Samsung 4GB /gskill 16gb DDR3 1600
    Mobo: EVGA-NF68-A1 680i (P32) /AsRock Extreme6
    PSU: Enermax Galaxy 850Watt /EVGA 850 G2
    HDD: OCZ 120GB Vertex4, Samsung evo 840 250GB
    LCD: Samsung 32" LN32A450, Samsung 226BW 22" wide
    Sound: Logtiech Z 5500
    CPU & GPU: 3x Swiftech MCR320, 2x MCP655, MCW60 R2, Dtek Fuzion V2, 18 high speed yates @ 5v

Well, I'm not saying that didnt happen, or that it's wrong, but two things spring to mind.

First, where can I buy that insane solder that held together 4 coat hangers? Wow.

Second, I have dont side by side comparisons with cheap speaker wire, monster cable, and my own home made cat5 speaker cables.

Worst to best in quality : Cheap stuff, Monster, Mine (ultra cheap).

Also, this bothers me,

Martin Logan SL-3 speaker set at 75Db at 1000KHz playing a mix of "smooth, trio, easy listening jazz" that no one had heard before.
    75db @ 1000khz... I'm hoping that's a typo first of all, since most people can only hear up to around 20khz. Even so, 75db isnt a particularly high volume, so extra clarity might not be very noticeable.

And finally, what the hell "super amp" was running that setup? 4 coat hangers? My god.. imagine the load on the amp! Not only high resistance, but probably tons of capacitance as well.
    Last edited by Luke122; 03-26-2008 at 10:21 PM.

\m/ d(-_-)b \m/

R9 290X+Kraken+Corsair H90, Xeon 5649@4ghz, Asus P6T-WS Pro

Quote Originally Posted by Zephik View Post
    Yay... I spent a hundred dollars on three feet of monster cable... at least they look amazing, right? lol

Another funny thing about cables that I just found out a day or so ago. You can buy Cat5-6 Networking cable for;

1000ft - $75
    500ft - $70
    250ft - $33
    100ft - $10
    75ft - $10
    50ft - $5.50

I just bought 40ft of cat6 for like $50 dollars. Well, I think its pretty safe to say that either I'm an idiot or I'm not cheap. Since we all know I'm cheap, that only leaves one option left. lol
    Exactly! How did Best Buy manage to sell me a 50ft Cat5 cable for $50 when it turns out Newegg.com is selling 100ft cables for $10 bucks?! It's just absolutely amazing. Monster cables are surely hyped up.

I bet if you ran pink noise through the speakers and tested it with a RTA machine, you would see a difference. But to the human ear. NONE!!!!

Well Id have to disagree with that test. I do not have a vast array of knowledge when it comes to home audio, but I am a car audio wizard and have won 3 first place SQ competitions and one of which was state. Now from my years in the car audio business I have ran Monster cable and have noticed an extraordinary difference in cable quality. t is true that the human ear cannot distinguish the quality difference, but you must also take into account the fact that Monster cables virtually eliminate any outside interference. Now the reason they could not tell the difference in that test is due to a controlled environment. If even one of the test subjects cell phones went off you would have interference with coat hangers. In a home with a TV internet and other appliances that are using any power from the wall plug will cause an interference. In a car audio perspective we deal with this sort of interference and if the cables aren't high quality and shielded unlike cat5 or coat hangers, then you would have major problems down the line. But I do agree 100% that Monster is way too expensive.

Overclocked

Quote Originally Posted by J-Roc View Post
    Apparently this test was done in 2004 but only recently has come into the lime light. Save yourself some cash and buy the cheapo cables.
    No.... not cheapo I have seen rocketfish cables the older one heads break off into tvs.. becareful what cables you use yes some of the cheaper ones you wont notice a diffrence but it comes down to what conetion your useing not all the cheaper cables are equal for speaker wire not much diffrence its just gage.. that maters I bought cheaper speaker wire but thick ones and my system pounds like mad I use that cheap o free wire that comes with speakers and when I changed it what a diffrence.. then I heard it right away..

for hdmi cables not much diffrence (like nothing)

For didtal optical and coax (have monster rocket fish and dnex ) no diffrence dnex alitte

for video cables not much diffrence cant see it.. for power bars can see a little but thats only if you test it..
    I work at bestbuy so I can staff the cables monster is 50 percent off on all monster stuff.. even headphons doctor dre beats 499... 200 after tax... cables are the same way.. I usally get rocketfish 10 cost isntead of 100 for a 12 ft cable.. hdmi.. so I have a boat load of cables and I can say 90 precent of the time you wont notice it but speaker wire will make a diffrence its not brand but gage that does I used a thick wire from a thin one 2 times louder at same volume..