Thread: Wireless broken?????

Default Wireless broken?????

Hi
    I turned my pc on today to find the wireless light had not lit up Iv gone through all the settings but it still wont work is it broken?

Router -netgear DG834N

Or if it is broken is there something cheap I can get to give me wireless.

CAN YOU WIN PLAYER OF THE WEEK!!!
    http://steamcommunity.com/groups/tbcs

Default Re: Wireless broken?????

Is this on a laptop, as in a built in card? If so there probably is a switch that turns off wireless devices to save power. On my Vostro 1400 the switch is on the front, but I've seen them all over the place on laptops. If the switch is turned to the off position the wireless card is electronically disconnected from the computer, flipping the switch will get things working again.

If it's a desktop card of some sort, try removing it and then reinstalling it. Of course, do this when the computer is turned off and the PSU disconnected from the wall.

No its on the actual router the thing that broadcasts the signal

Sunshine Flavored Lollipops Zephik's Avatar

Make sure its plugged in properly, that has happened to me more than once. Another option would be to find another ac adapter (not just any old one, make sure its the right kind) and plug it in and see if it turns on then. You could always plug it into a different wall socket too, you may of blown a fuse, thats happened to be before as well.

Is the entire router not turning on? or are you just talking about the signal lights? Like for receiving internet and broadcasting wireless?

If the internet light isn't turning on, then check with your isp, they may of disconnected you for some reason. If that is coming on, but the broadcasting light isn't coming on, then try turning off your router, wait like five minutes, then turn it back on. If that doesn't help, then I don't know what to do. If your receiving internet, but your router isn't broadcasting it, then you may have a dead router. You could always try calling the manufacturer or even your isp maybe.
    People are stupid; given proper motivation, almost anyone will believe almost anything. Because people are stupid, they will believe a lie because they want to believe it's true, or because they are afraid it might be true. People’s heads are full of knowledge, facts, and beliefs, and most of it is false, yet they think it all true. People are stupid; they can only rarely tell the difference between a lie and the truth, and yet they are confident they can, and so are all the easier to fool.

Thanks mate its still under its 12month warrenty so I probebly have to call netgear again. this is the third thats broken in 2 years.

If you are losing them like crazy, check 3 things.

1. Heat. Is it getting good airflow around it? Overheating kills routers A LOT.
    2. Power. Flaky AC adaptor or even a bad/dying power bar (flickering light) will kill them too.
    3. Change the wifi channel to the end of the spectrum.. try channel 2 or something. I've seen routers die because they are doing so much error correction due to lots of traffic in channel 6. I think it's actually the heat or power that kills them, but making them work too hard cant be good either. (since it takes more power, and makes more heat).

That's all I have to say about that.

\m/ d(-_-)b \m/

R9 290X+Kraken+Corsair H90, Xeon 5649@4ghz, Asus P6T-WS Pro

Custom Title Honors

I know my Linksys has a reset button, could that have been pressed by accident? I worked with one (Netgear) that disabled the wireless by default and resetting that as we know would set to default and had to be configured with a wired connection before working wirelessly. Good Luck

On Backup:: CPU- Q9300 Stock HS/F :: MB- Intel board :: RAM- 4 GB Corsair Dominator DDR2 1066 (2x2GB) :: GFX- 8800GS HDD- 320GB OS; 1x2TB Storage :: ROM- DVD-ROM :: PSU- Antec 48W :: OS- Win7 x64 :: CASE- CM Centurion 590 :: MON- Dell 1708FP :: MOUSE- Logitech G5 ::