View Poll Results: Who's the Worst Company?

Voters
68. You may not vote on this poll
  • Emachine

18 26.47%
  • Compaq

13 19.12%
  • Dell

20 29.41%
  • Gateway

2 2.94%
  • IBM

2 2.94%
  • HP

2 2.94%
  • Toshiba

2 2.94%
  • Sony

1 1.47%
  • Acer

2 2.94%
  • Other

6 8.82%
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: The Worst PC Company?

Over 75 Custom PC's in 20 years TheGreatSatan's Avatar

Default The Worst PC Company?

Who do you think is the worst PC company? A Lot of people tell me it's Emachine, but I've always hated Dell. Your thoughts?
    WH1T3 0U7
    Modified Thermaltake View 37
    Intel 9900K, MSI Z390A, 128GB (32GB x4) GSkill Royal 3200MHz, RTX 3080 Vision, EVGA Nu Audio, 1TB Silicon Power SSD, EVGA 1300G2, ID cooling 360mm AiO, LG 3440 x 1440

Default Re: The Worst PC Company?

To be honest, I've never had much trouble with any of those you listed. All of their prebuilts just come loaded with junk, but once you clean them out, they are decent computers.

I suppose I've worked on more Dell's than anything else (part of the job here), but the worst trouble I've ever had was on a prebuilt from a small company in Edmonton. ECS mobo BIOS got flashed by a virus, and they refused to warranty it. So I had to buy a new board.. from somewhere else. B@$tards.

\m/ d(-_-)b \m/

R9 290X+Kraken+Corsair H90, Xeon 5649@4ghz, Asus P6T-WS Pro

I would have to say the worst pc company would be Packard Bell!!!

I think emachines are probably the worst but thats just because they make cheap basic computers. I have also had bad experiences with gateways but it was mainly because the computer was ancient.

Whoever voted HP is WRONG. HP makes solid computers. I would buy one again if building one wasn't an option. I've had mine for 5 years and it's still my main computer. It is now starting to get dated but is plenty fast for internet and slightly above marginal for photo editing. It cost me $700 5 years ago so I think it's served very well.

Compaq all the way !!!
    Why you ask !?!?!?
    Well let me put it like this, nothing in the pre-built machines matches up against components from other manufacturers, nor does the software.
    At least the machines i've had my hands on.

Let me give you a little something to explain what im talking about.
    In one of my old Compaq licensed PC;s i whas about to put in a clean version of XP 'cause i did'nt want the crap that was on the disks i got from Compaq.
    So in it goes, and what happens ?
    Well, no sound is detected, trouble with RAM, it hangs up all to often and so on, nothing but trouble.
    Same way when i put in another HD with XP on, it could'nt detect a lot of features.

My 2 cents

Like a Lightning Bolt in Your Cheerios! Drum Thumper's Avatar

I'd have to say IBM from personal experience. Their machines are overpriced, underpowered, and when I bought my last one (early 1990's) it had more damn bloatware on it than you would believe. And this was at the beginning of the bloatware phase.
    Quote Originally Posted by artoodeeto View Post
    aw heck guys. We're modders. Let's just build our own, shall we?

DrumThumper.net || The Brewing Art ||
    My Flickr Stream

Quote Originally Posted by Enigma View Post
    So in it goes, and what happens ?
    Well, no sound is detected, trouble with RAM, it hangs up all to often and so on, nothing but trouble.
    Same way when i put in another HD with XP on, it could'nt detect a lot of features.
    Knowing the people in this community, this is probably a given, but you DID get the drivers off the disk or from their website correct? Of course there is going to be issues with the sound and memory if there aren't drivers(sound, chipset, lan, etc.) installed. You probably did but just checking. I've had more computers than a 20 year old should, and never had an issue throwing XP on any of the pc's ive used, ranging from Gateway, Emachines, Compaq, Hp, Sony, Systemax, IBM. I'm sure theres a few more.

As for the poll, no vote from me. I haven't had to deal with huge quantities from any one manufacturer and one or a few bad units doesn't define a company when they make millions. And customer support, you can't define a company by the acts of a few individuals. Yes these will have me form opinions about the company and whether or not I purchase from them, but does it define if the company as a whole is poor? IMO no. I understand with customers you really only get ONE chance. But does that define the company if that chance goes awry? No, at least not in my opinion.

Edit: My opinion might have been formed from when I worked in the pc retail industry (aka Best Buy). All companies are on equal playing field because you never know who you will start carrying. Bash one company to a customer and the next month you could have their units right on the display.

Over 75 Custom PC's in 20 years TheGreatSatan's Avatar

Best Buy is kinda goofy though. They sell Dell's and Apple now too.....
    WH1T3 0U7
    Modified Thermaltake View 37
    Intel 9900K, MSI Z390A, 128GB (32GB x4) GSkill Royal 3200MHz, RTX 3080 Vision, EVGA Nu Audio, 1TB Silicon Power SSD, EVGA 1300G2, ID cooling 360mm AiO, LG 3440 x 1440

Quote Originally Posted by NightrainSrt4 View Post
    Knowing the people in this community, this is probably a given, but you DID get the drivers off the disk or from their website correct? Of course there is going to be issues with the sound and memory if there aren't drivers(sound, chipset, lan, etc.) installed. You probably did but just checking.
    Yes the drivers were all there !!!

Quote Originally Posted by NightrainSrt4 View Post
    As for the poll, no vote from me. I haven't had to deal with huge quantities from any one manufacturer and one or a few bad units doesn't define a company when they make millions. And customer support, you can't define a company by the acts of a few individuals. Yes these will have me form opinions about the company and whether or not I purchase from them, but does it define if the company as a whole is poor? IMO no. I understand with customers you really only get ONE chance. But does that define the company if that chance goes awry? No, at least not in my opinion.
    This make a lot of sense, could'nt agree more , really !!!

I mod everything I touch. Indybird's Avatar

Compaq.

Two of my friends had one, they were incredibly slow (when they were brand new). On one of them the PSU died and they didn't cover it for some reason. On the other one all of the USB ports died and they also didnt cover it.

Mind you this was the Windows ME era and that definitely didn't help these computer's cases, but the problems they had were not ME related. I cant exactly comment on their new stuff though...

-Indybird