Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: Bicycles.

Practice random acts of generosity Omega's Avatar

Default Bicycles.

The most effecient method of personal transportation.

Specs on my bicycle:

My bike: Giant Rincon (2008 model)

Specs:
    24-speed
    20in Frame
    Front/back disc brakes
    Front "100x" shocks (100mm travel, adjustable sensitivity)
    Shimano SiS shifters (Front/back)
    Lizard Skin tubes (you know, the ones with the thick plastic to keep punctures from happening) with Slime in them

looking at getting some Shimano parts, like a whole new drivetrain and brake system with bigger rotors and a stronger crank, the TruVATIV crank system that's on my bike right now keeps breaking)

That's a picture of the model of Rincon I have.

Back in a few minutes of my (mud and dirt covered, ) Rincon.

So, Does anybody else on TBCS ride? I especially like riding in the creeks in my town, they go from dry sand to wet rocks to mud within a mile of each other. Hard ride to pull off, but it's so worth it.

i5-3570k @ 4.40GHz // R9 380X @ 1020MHz // 2x Samsung 850 EVO SSDs // 2x 2TB HDDs
    Fractal Design Define R2 XL "Monolith"

Default Re: Bicycles.

i like to rid but my bike is no where near that, its a cheapo canadian tire one.

pictures of the only real bike trail i've been on and bike and me.

i really want a bike with disc brakes, and nice fat tires like on my bike and like yours (they look fat).

dammit now i wanna go biking...
    CPU: Q6600 G0 3.5GHz@1.4v (4.2GHz max) / 4790k 4.8ghz @1.265v
    GPU: 9800GTX /GTX780 hydrocopper
    Ram: Samsung 4GB /gskill 16gb DDR3 1600
    Mobo: EVGA-NF68-A1 680i (P32) /AsRock Extreme6
    PSU: Enermax Galaxy 850Watt /EVGA 850 G2
    HDD: OCZ 120GB Vertex4, Samsung evo 840 250GB
    LCD: Samsung 32" LN32A450, Samsung 226BW 22" wide
    Sound: Logtiech Z 5500
    CPU & GPU: 3x Swiftech MCR320, 2x MCP655, MCW60 R2, Dtek Fuzion V2, 18 high speed yates @ 5v

Quote Originally Posted by Spawn-Inc View Post
    i really want a bike with disc brakes, and nice fat tires like on my bike and like yours (they look fat).

dammit now i wanna go biking...
    Heh. Part of the reason why I got the Rincon and not the next model down was the disc brakes. I've almost been hit by cars twice in the past week (I'm not the safest road biker or biker in general) and my brakes have saved my proverbial rear end. I swear, you pull both handles and once and you are no longer moving, regardless of your current speed.

Yeah, my tires are pretty fat. At least compared to what I'm used to and most other mountain bikes. It helps tons with the riding through the mud. Fat, knobbly tires. I want to get another set of tires to turn into studded ones, but I don't think I have the tolerance on my frame (we're talking about less than a half inch tolerance between either tire and some part of the frame) and that would require getting both sets of wheels to my location and back. One on the bike, one stored. Since I can't drive anywhere and all.

I want to do Downhill biking. I might see about going to Mount Tampalpias here in the bay area and riding up the mountain just to bomb it back down, then call it a day, and hope nothing's broken (although it probably will be).

Funny how I'm so damned lazy yet riding is one of my favorite things. I must have rode 4-5mi on tuesday (which is a lot for somebody who didn't ride for about two years and is horribly out of shape) and by the time I got home I couldn't feel my legs. I managed to break three sprockets (teeth got jacked up) and loosen my brake cable a bit. Took it by the shop and they fixed it all (huzzah warranties and free labor for a year).

I think tomorrow I'll do some downhill road riding after I go take care of getting a new camo jacket and doing a photoshoot for art class.

Kind of a strange question... Ever ridden on train tracks? It's so bumpy. my hands kept hitting the brake levers when I did it. My knuckles hurt now. It was so fun, though. Kadunkadunkadunkaduna. Even with the shocks on the front re-calibrated to be soft, it was really bad =p

EDIT: Cheapo bike?! With front and rear suspension? Man, my bike was ~$550 (That's USD) and it's only got front suspension (although the disc brakes and adjustable shocks probably didn't help the price).

MSRP on the Rincon is $420. My Rincon has, extra to the base model: Slime'd tires with lizard skin tubes, normal bolt on the seat, a front and rear light, a bike-mounted pump and a water bottle holder. That's it. =p

Said bike:

Last edited by Omega; 02-28-2008 at 01:30 AM.

i5-3570k @ 4.40GHz // R9 380X @ 1020MHz // 2x Samsung 850 EVO SSDs // 2x 2TB HDDs

mine was i think 299.99 at Canadian tire (Canadian) so i guess not a full blown cheapo but i would still call it a cheapo bike since its from a store like Canadian Tire.

do to my taking the dam thing apart my rear suspension creeks when i go on bumps, very annoying. i have to wrap paper towel under the spring and soak it in oil to stop the leaks for all of amount 30 minutes.
    CPU: Q6600 G0 3.5GHz@1.4v (4.2GHz max) / 4790k 4.8ghz @1.265v
    GPU: 9800GTX /GTX780 hydrocopper
    Ram: Samsung 4GB /gskill 16gb DDR3 1600
    Mobo: EVGA-NF68-A1 680i (P32) /AsRock Extreme6
    PSU: Enermax Galaxy 850Watt /EVGA 850 G2
    HDD: OCZ 120GB Vertex4, Samsung evo 840 250GB
    LCD: Samsung 32" LN32A450, Samsung 226BW 22" wide
    Sound: Logtiech Z 5500
    CPU & GPU: 3x Swiftech MCR320, 2x MCP655, MCW60 R2, Dtek Fuzion V2, 18 high speed yates @ 5v

I dont have pictures of my old bike anymore. I wish i did though. I had a Kuwahara Orbit with custom everything. I had 7 piece bars, gt neck & headset, soup can pegs, agent rims, 90deg lean back post, gt seat, fishbone 3piece crank, meat grinder petals, custom grey paint. I had lots more parts too, its just been so long i cant remember them all.

The best thing i ever did with it was install a double thick 2 piece sprocket and ran with a tracktor chain. That stoped all the knee hits on the neck when the chain used to come loose and fall off.

Quote Originally Posted by Spawn-Inc View Post
    mine was i think 299.99 at Canadian tire (Canadian) so i guess not a full blown cheapo but i would still call it a cheapo bike since its from a store like Canadian Tire.

do to my taking the dam thing apart my rear suspension creeks when i go on bumps, very annoying. i have to wrap paper towel under the spring and soak it in oil to stop the leaks for all of amount 30 minutes.
    Oh man, I would probably not ride a bike if it squeaked at me like that. Reminds me, I was riding home and I saw this other bike that was clicking and creaking real badly, I almost felt sorry for it because it was so obviously out of disrepair. =/

Quote Originally Posted by J-Roc View Post
    I dont have pictures of my old bike anymore. I wish i did though. I had a Kuwahara Orbit with custom everything. I had 7 piece bars, gt neck & headset, soup can pegs, agent rims, 90deg lean back post, gt seat, fishbone 3piece crank, meat grinder petals, custom grey paint. I had lots more parts too, its just been so long i cant remember them all.

The best thing i ever did with it was install a double thick 2 piece sprocket and ran with a tracktor chain. That stoped all the knee hits on the neck when the chain used to come loose and fall off.
    I used to do trick riding on my BMX bikes before I got the Rincon, and I can attest to the fact that hitting yourself in the face with your knee is indeed no fun.

35 chain sucks on BMX bikes. =p

Bikes is another one of my hobbies too!

I have an old Schwinn mountain bike that still works well and then a newer GT Compe (BMX). I normally try not to spend too much money on them but I do like to build random ones. I just find parts from the trash and try to improvise to meet what I wanted. I have made a few normal bikes for people but most the time I just make really goofy impractical ones.

My bike actually had a manufacture defect but kuwahara isnt an easy company to get ahold of so i was stuck with it. The rear upper forks were not alligned right so the chain rubbed on the frame which wore through it in a few months. Thats when i went to the lawnmower shop and got a real chain. It wouldnt even matter if the tire was loose or anything, there was no chance of that fat chain falling off or rubbing through.

Man was it ever a heavy bike, 75lbs and i could still manage to bunny hop it over a park bench.

Quote Originally Posted by tinker View Post
    Bikes is another one of my hobbies too!

I have an old Schwinn mountain bike that still works well and then a newer GT Compe (BMX). I normally try not to spend too much money on them but I do like to build random ones. I just find parts from the trash and try to improvise to meet what I wanted. I have made a few normal bikes for people but most the time I just make really goofy impractical ones.
    This post makes me want to go to the local dump, buy a few old bikes for cheap, then weld up a frankenbike. =D

Sorry, I just couldn't resist, here's my bike:

Special features:
    1. front and rear drum-brakes (are they called drum brakes in english?)
    2. standard slide-thing lock on the rear, big chain-lock for the rest of the bike. (yes, you do need that here...)
    3. 3-speed transmission (only one working though)
    4. a standard ring-a-ding bell, not working because I tried to fix it...

shot from the front

Another special feature, reflecting tires. when it's dark and you shine a bright light on it, it's almost as if I have neon-rims

Transmission chain. Nice and rusty, need to get some butter on it again.

To stay on topic:

see the mud at the arrow? I did some driving in a soaking wet field a week ago...

I use this bike nearly every day to get to uni, works fabulously!