Thread: Adding Dual External Reservoirs

Fresh Paint

Default Adding Dual External Reservoirs

I am in the process of building a Mame arcade cabinet that will have a Koolance PC-2 tower inside of it. I would like to add 2 external reservoirs (like this) to the project. These reservoirs are fairly large and will be placed about 12" away from the actual tower.

My questions are, is this ok to do? Does adding these 2 large external reservoirs 12" away cause any unwanted strain on the Koolance pump? Is mounting the reservoirs higher then the Koolance pump ok?
    thanks for any input
    Excuse Me, I Have A Pink Beard

Fresh Paint

Default Re: Adding Dual External Reservoirs

For those interested, here was my first attempt at showing off the computer in my Mame cabinet without liquid cooling. These pics are older and were before the wiring was tightened up, so some of the wiring looks pretty sloppy

Like a Lightning Bolt in Your Cheerios! Drum Thumper's Avatar

First off, +rep for your screen name. Getcha' Pull!

Secondly, which koolance pump are you using? Setting your towers up like this could put some unwanted strain on the pump, but without specs on the pump, I cannot say how much stress will be added.
    Quote Originally Posted by artoodeeto View Post
    aw heck guys. We're modders. Let's just build our own, shall we?

DrumThumper.net || The Brewing Art ||
    My Flickr Stream

Fresh Paint

Quote Originally Posted by DrumThumper View Post
    First off, +rep for your screen name. Getcha' Pull!
    haha thanks! RIP DIME!

Well I looked and looked and could not find the exact model of pumps that are in the tower, (its an older PC-2 series Koolance tower) but I can tell you that it has 2 pumps in the reservoir that pump 1030cc/min, and they are only hooked up to a cpu cooler and radiator.

Like a Lightning Bolt in Your Cheerios! Drum Thumper's Avatar

It's a little easier for me to figure stuff in GPM rather than cc/min; so:

1020 cc/min ~= .27 GPM

I will tell you right now that it's been awhile since I've done any figuring on pumps--I used to have one bad assed homebrew setup that was pump driven.

I would not reccomend placing these towers too far above your pump--might vaporlock (for lack of a better term) on you, especially with a pump that has an output of .27 GPM. I'm pulling some very foggy data from my noggin, and it seems to me that my old 12 gallon/hour pump would stall at a height difference of roughly 6 feet. Now granted, your pump is putting out roughly 16 gallons/hour, but you don't have near the amount of resistance (or the occasional chunk of malted barley for that matter) that my old homebrew pump had to deal with. Also, hose size comes into factor--I was running 3/4" ID tubing on the homebrew setup; I'm guessing that your tubing is much smaller.

And finally, the total length of your cooling setup will play a factor in how high above the pump you can place your towers.
    Quote Originally Posted by artoodeeto View Post
    aw heck guys. We're modders. Let's just build our own, shall we?

DrumThumper.net || The Brewing Art ||
    My Flickr Stream

Fresh Paint

+rep for the info, Thanks its very helpful.

homebrew sounds good