Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: Motorized Madness

Default Re: Project: Motorized Madness!

Quote Originally Posted by BigJohnson View Post
    I like the sequential opening myself. It really looks awesome. It gives you time to apppeciate all of the modules one at a time. I do have a question though. When you power off and you have some open and some closed. Does it automatically open the closed and close the opened. Or does it just make sure that they all close on power off?
    + Rep
    If some are closed before the shutdown. it will leave those closed and close the others. the Same for opening.

Basically the way it works is the controller sends signals to each servo to go to a specific location (rotation) at a specific speed. -so if the servo is already at that location, it just remains there.

WOW, Thanks for everyone's responses. I didn't think that many people were following my mod. LOL.

I'm working on some more programming to adjust the servos so that when they get done moving, they shut down so I dont' hear the gears fighting the tension on them. My first attempt worked at shutting them down, but now I lost the speed controlls. But I think I have it figured out. -I'll try it again tonight and post another video. I'm going to add a swith for the led's like many of you suggested. That was a good idea!

I also noticed a few minor modifications I need to make to some of the moving parts to make them function a little smoother, nothing special.

-Cheers!

Last night I stopped at Radio Shack and picked up a lever switch.

Then I spliced it into the power wire to the lights on the base and mounted it so that when the servo opens, it engages the switch.

I also go my new order of led lights and I fixed the 3 that were burnt out.

-Interesting thing though. One of the led's that I replaced one with, didn't work right out of the package. I'm starting to wonder about the quality of led's from LSDiode.com...

the last thing I did was fill all the joints in the base with putty. I still have to sand it all down yet. But thats it for now.

even though its to late you can find switichs like that for free if you see someone tossing out a busted microwave.

here is some of the neat stuff i found and have collected over the years (2 microwaves worth of parts)

these are the switches that are from the door so the microwave turns on and off when the door. you could have used then for the lights but ohwell, next time.

this the motor that turns the glass plate. it seems like a strong slow moving motor, you might have even been able to use it for a servo.

magnetron

all the stuff i could take from the microwaves - the body

oh and of course great work as always!
    CPU: Q6600 G0 3.5GHz@1.4v (4.2GHz max) / 4790k 4.8ghz @1.265v
    GPU: 9800GTX /GTX780 hydrocopper
    Ram: Samsung 4GB /gskill 16gb DDR3 1600
    Mobo: EVGA-NF68-A1 680i (P32) /AsRock Extreme6
    PSU: Enermax Galaxy 850Watt /EVGA 850 G2
    HDD: OCZ 120GB Vertex4, Samsung evo 840 250GB
    LCD: Samsung 32" LN32A450, Samsung 226BW 22" wide
    Sound: Logtiech Z 5500
    CPU & GPU: 3x Swiftech MCR320, 2x MCP655, MCW60 R2, Dtek Fuzion V2, 18 high speed yates @ 5v

Quote Originally Posted by |NQ|Squelsh View Post
    Congrats Renderman, your rig rocks!
    Give us a shot with the tubine on it, I am curiuos how big it looks on top of the case.

Doesn't the controller board have some simple I/O-Ports to switch the LEDs or some other stuff? That would have been the easiest way.

BTW: Are these digital servos? Because if so, they should send back the current they consume. And you could use this info to switch them off, when they reached the end position (if the controller board suports this). I know this from robotics boards.

Keep on the great work!
    Um.... Yeah sounds like you have a little more experience with robotics than me. I know the board does have 4 inputs on them. But I'm not sure how to use/program them. And I believe it will read the servos position but from everyting that the guys over at lynxmotion.com forum have told me, they won't automattically shut off. I have to send that command. But I've gotten it all figured out.

I'm actually contemplating one more motorized item... it will take 2 servos to run. Its just a matter if I want to spend the money and if I have room for it.

Cheers!

Well guys, I ordered my last (hopefully last) big purchase for this mod. You'll have to wait and see what it is though. I also picked up 2 more servos to motorize this item. It won't be here for a while though. I got an email saying they had a 3-5 day lead time. Any guesses?

-FYI, I sent back my bulgin switch last week, and they said they haven't received it yet. Hmmmm. Hope it didn't get lost in the mail.

I've been working on the back panel of the case and started doing some kit bashing. Sorry I don't have any pics right now. I just jumped on to check my mail. I'll post what I can tomorrow.

-Untill next time...

Quote Originally Posted by Spawn-Inc View Post
    sorry if you posted this already, you probably did but i will ask anyway. what hardware are you putting in this case?
    For right now, I'm just going to transfer my hardware from my current computer. Its an Asus P5N32-SLI SE Delux. Core 2 Duo 2.4 GHZ Processor,
    ATI 1900 XTX, 2 gb Corsair xms2 800 mhz. memory. Ultra x2 550 watt modular power supply and a sound card.

I'll have to convert my video card over to water cooling which I already have the block from Danger Den for but I need to lap it first.

I've been spending all my free money on this case and medical bills lately so I haven't had any extra money to buy new hardware.... YET!
    I would like to get a new dx10 card. and some more ram. -Maybe a new power supply (has to be small!)

DOHHH. Nevermind. My mind is about to explode here at work. I'm finding it very difficutl to concentrate on what I'm doing. work is not very clear as to what they want done, so its making my mind go haywire. Sorry.

Its actually not that big. its only a 5" lcd. I"m running out of room in the case quickly. I still have to leave room for all the computer components. It will take 2 servos because it will have a compound motorization action. -Not just a flip up panel or anythig but somethign completly different!

and incase anybody asks, I forgot to bring my pics with me to upload so sorry!

Ok, Finally here's an update.

I left off the base where I had filled all the cracks and joints. So I sanded everything down nice and flat.

Then I coated the led's in some liquid masking film, so when I paint it, they led's will be protected.

Then I cut another gear for the front doors. I staggered the joints so it would help make the doors close evenly.

here they are opened part of the way.

Next I started to work on the back side panel. I wanted it to give some continuity between the turbine mod and this mod so I gave it the angular patter with light surrounding them "look".
    This shot shows the thin styrene sheets taped together. I used a marker to layout the design.

Then i started to cut out the design and glue each piece to the back panel.

Here is a partially done section. so you can see it easier.

here is a shot of the whole thing done.

Then I mounted the turbine on the top.

And filled the top panel with styrene sheets.

next came some more gears. here they are laid out ready to be cut.

After several hours of scroll saw work, here they are.

I glued some thin styrene sheet to the back sides.

Then I primed and painted the logo. I also added a blue tinted sheet to the back side to give it some contrast.

Then I laid it out on the panel with the gears.

But before I can glue it together, I had to mask off the light openings.
    I used some more of that liquid mask.

Here you can see how liberal I was with it. Its designed to dry clear and then be cut to shape. After I was done, I set that piece aside to dry overnight.

I then started to do a little kit bashing.

here's a shot of one of the side light trays at the base. You can see the primer color for now.

some more kit bashing. -Makes it look like the gear is attached to an actuated arm doesn't it?

And the start of the front panel.

That a pretty good size update that should hold you over for a while. I'm currently waiting on my LCD panel to do more work to the back panel. In the meantime, More kitbashing, yeah baby!!!

Thanks you guys. All your comments have put a huge smile on my face!

I did some more kit bashing tonight and glued the gears on the panel for the logo. -Have to wait till the end for the actual name plate to go on for that final touch after all the painting is done.

Sorry I don't have any pics. Its not much more than what I showed earlier today. Just some more plastic pieces mainly on the base.

Once I get further along in the kit bashing I'll post some more pics.

-FYI, my lcd screen should be here on monday, But that is my bowling night, so I won't be able to start that untill Tuesday night. I can't wait to test it out.

-Oh and about painting, yeah, I'm planning on spending a lot of time painting all the little parts and pieces with multiple colors and then to match the turbine, it will get the weathered look.

Thanks again for everyone's support!

Dan