Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Underwater cables.

Default Re: Underwater cables.

This being some sort of attack makes total sense to me, how much do we all rely on our internet and computers day to day. Almost everything needs to use computers these days, even if some small company doesn't use the internet something else, a supplier, payroll, etc uses the internet. If there was a serious issue with the internet going down, even only for one day, I foresee very bad things happening in this country very quickly. Economy, communication, even law enforcement would all have serious issues.

In my personal life I'm seeing a lot of "signs" that I need to not rely on my computers as much. These major underseas cables getting cut, accidents or not, still causes serious issues. My school was cut off from the internet for about 90min real early this morning and incoming Internet traffic was rerouted overseas (can you say malicious). My school is very technical, although they are trying to play this incident off. Also this morning was class registration and at a very critical time where I needed it my laptop (only machine i used for school stuff) had it's HD fail which happened to destroy years of data, mostly I can live without but I did kinda want all the pictures I took. Personally I'm feeling like I need to cut my losses and severely minimize my use of computers.
    In Progress An Updated (Mac) Classic
    Completed Performa, BOX
    Hiatus Highrise
    Upcoming NightShift
    Cancelled Dell XPS, Framed, Busy

Just think of the ecological damage all those bits spewing into our oceans could cause.

If I was going to blame anyone it would have to be the RIAA and the MPAA in a joint strike against the evil p2p servers of those they have no control over!

Or maybe its Sir Elton Johns personal commandos carrying out his master plan? link

ok ok .. All jokes aside. Where as this can escalate into a serious matter, I honestly don't think its going to cause the internet to come to a screeching halt. Even if they were to completely cut all under sea cables, inner continental backbones would stay intact. Meaning schools could still operate, law enforcement would continue to catch the bad guys etc etc. The internet is a very redundant system on purpose. It is a system that encompasses the globe, so in order to say cut off the US from other parts of the world, it would take some one to cut the lines both east and west coast, Canada, Mexico and don't forget about the satellites, etc etc. True it could increase latency, and speeds might suffer. I think we can rest assured that our lives will change very little.

Still I must say that it is quite a coincidence that 5 lines have been cut. (If that has been verified as true yet).

Just my .02

I come from a land down under. simon275's Avatar

5 cables are down now.

My money is on the cloverfield monster chewing on the cables.
    Need a sig

Wow, I was hoping we were above conspiracy theories here... guess not...

Egyptian transportation authorities viewed footage of the sites off the coast of Alexandria and observed no ships or other vessels in the area 12 hours before or 12 hours after the cables were cut. The government announced that maritime traffic wasn't to blame for those two breaks, quashing the initial theory that the anchor of a passing ship had caused the damage.

"The area is also marked on maps as a no-go zone and it is therefore ruled out that the damage to the cables was caused by ships," a statement from Egypt's communications ministry said.
    And no, it isn't 5 cables, it's still just 4.
    "A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, con a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyse a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects"

Robert A. Heinlein