Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Simon's Coming to the USA

Default Re: Simon's Coming to the USA

In you're going to San Francisco first, don't recommend public transport too much.
    Antec Sonata II | Pioneer DVR-212
    Good news! You can follow my website or follow me on twitter!

If you are flying into SF, then we have to hook up. I'll chat with the wife about putting you up for a few days (and I am sure she would have no issues), but you would have to sleep on the floor since our extra rooms are really our offices. Added benefit would be sleeping in the redwoods! Depends on your timing also since we have a houseboating trip at the end of July (the rest of the family wouldn't mind a tag along for a few days...).

There is a train pass similar but not as good as the Eur-rail pass (sorry if I mucked that name up), and domestic air fair is not like it is in Australia but not too expensive either No real passes that I know of. Check out Amtrak.com for the train info. Best thing about a train is the chance to see some beautiful sights (as they whiz by at 60mph).

Once you have an idea of timing and itinerary let us know.
    "...Dumb all over, A little ugly on the side... "...Frank Zappa...

I personally like riding the bus, and Greyhound has an amazing deal if you want to give them a try. If you really want to see the country and you have the time to kill, I would heartily recommend it.
    You get to see everything, you drive through real America, on the roads, and not off in the woods as a train whizzes by at 80 or whatever.
    Order 14 days in advance and you can go from anywhere they start at to anywhere they finish at for 99 dollars.
    I've done it from Miami to San Francisco and it was a lot of fun... took 3 or 4 days which is what it would take you to drive anyway...
    "A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, con a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyse a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects"

Robert A. Heinlein

Dear God hide the whiskey and dingos.

Glad to hear you'll be in town! It is strange here about domestic travel, seems it often more expensive to take a train than it is to fly. But I don't know that much about it. Philadelphia may be a place of interest for you if you are into history, there are some tours down there of the birthplace of the rich man's revolt against Britain (oops, sorry I mean the American revolution). They are some very interesting places and I live about 30 minutes away so you are welcome here of course. If you are unable to find room and board in SF let me know because I have a very nice friend in that general area who I can ask.

Jon
    "At the midpoint on the journey of life, I found myself in a dark forest, for the clear path was lost..." -Dante Alighieri

Vampires are also allergic to bulldozers BerticusPryme's Avatar

If you get anywhere near alabama or Illinois than I may have some room and board for you.

If you come up into Canada, the drinking age here is mostly 18-19. The rail pass that Aibozo was talking about also includes the Canadian rail system, VIA Rail. Unlimited train riding for 30 days, all throughout North America. I have no idea what it costs, but the details are on the site I'm sure.

Ride the train through the rocky mountains.. absolutely amazing.

\m/ d(-_-)b \m/

R9 290X+Kraken+Corsair H90, Xeon 5649@4ghz, Asus P6T-WS Pro

Yeah, if you are in the east (Maryland, Philly, New york area) we could all get together for a few cold ones.

-dan

Click here for the Battlefield 2 L.A.N. Pc worklog.

Let me know if you're stopping through North East Ohio (not like there's much to do here anyway).

Over 75 Custom PC's in 20 years TheGreatSatan's Avatar

Satan would love to have you near St Louis. I have a guest Bedroom, and plenty of space in my garage for a rental car.
    WH1T3 0U7
    Modified Thermaltake View 37
    Intel 9900K, MSI Z390A, 128GB (32GB x4) GSkill Royal 3200MHz, RTX 3080 Vision, EVGA Nu Audio, 1TB Silicon Power SSD, EVGA 1300G2, ID cooling 360mm AiO, LG 3440 x 1440

I didn't know you were in St. Louis, that's my hometown. Got 3 sisters living there now.
    "At the midpoint on the journey of life, I found myself in a dark forest, for the clear path was lost..." -Dante Alighieri