Thread: End of the week rant... (computer related even)

Default End of the week rant... (computer related even)

OK, so I have been having a somewhat crappy week. Seems like nothing wanted to work out. I know that sometimes you have to struggle to get though life, but this was ridiculous...

Been working with a customer that bought a custom workstation from us based on an evga 680i motherboard with 2 evga 7950's and 4 port powered firewire cards (for high speed camera's).

Sometime in september they crashed the system (some kind of data corruption on the primary HD) and without telling us they reloaded the OS (winXPpro) and were back up and running. Or so they thought.

Over the course of the last couple of months they have reloaded several times due to the same issue but never loaded any updates or even the chipset drivers for the mobo (more on that later). They thought the network port was dead so they added a wireless card to the system. Mind you they never even called us. Finally the first week of January they got in touch with us because the system would just not run for more than a couple of hours and the last time they tried the OS load, it would not even get to the point of copying the files to the disk.

So I get involved and the first thing I ask is "are you using the XP disk we sent with the system"? "No we lost all that stuff back in may". So now the disk they were using was an XP "original" disk without even SP1!?! And, AND! someone else's key so the system would not allow them to install updates. OK fine, how about the mobo driver disk? They lost that also.

Sent the system back to us because I could not help them over the phone anymore (another long story). Get the system back and they packed it in a box with shipping peanuts, then inside another box. The shipping guys open up the boxes and when they take the system out, the side door falls off, then the front door falls off. This system has been shipped all over the country in what amounts to a cereal box and they are surprised it does not work. We even made a custom shipping box for them that they lost.

Cut to the chase; mobo dead, causing problems with memory, sata controllers and ide controllers. I know sounds insane but when tested everything else works fine. Contact evga and since we are registered as a dealer, we are supposed to get advanced RMA's. They send us an email, "please send your defective board here; xxx and we will send a replacement within 3 business days of arrival". WTF!?!? Been calling and emailing them for 2 days now and never got a call back.

Wednesday night I go into my kitchen and there is water all over the floor (ok no a whole lot, but enough to indicate a problem). Investigate and I have a leaky water pipe in my wall behind the kitchen sink. Now I have to tear out the sink and cabinet to get to the pipe. ...sigh...

...and then on top of it, one of our best customers started bitching at us accusing us of ripping them off by almost $3k for one of these dell690's. We had a big meeting with them and there was shouting and nasty things being said and finally we got online and showed them that we are actually getting them a better deal than they could get on their own, spec'd out all the parts and the guy that accused us initially (we found out later he accused us in their high level staff meeting with the CFO and CEO), quietly murmured to his boss, "I forgot to include the Wacom tablet and cables..."! I was sitting next to them and said "Could you please repeat that"? He said it louder and all of our customer's rep's faces turned red and they promptly apologized. That guy needs my size 12 in his arse... Everyone is still walking around pissed.

Sorry, had to rant.

These are just the big 3 for the week. There is much more, but it is time to go home and I have taken up enough of your time...

That felt good. Sometimes you just have to talk/type it out for therapy...

That first Cider from the keg is going to taste mighty good.
    "...Dumb all over, A little ugly on the side... "...Frank Zappa...

Sunshine Flavored Lollipops Zephik's Avatar

Default Re: End of the week rant... (computer related even)

When it rains, it pours. A little something I've been learning/realizing lately as well.

Can't wait for spring, it always gets better in the spring. I guess the warm weather melts all that ice thats been building up on our souls over the winter.

Good read by the way, I was looking for something to relate to, even if it is completely unrelated to my issues. Its just nice to know that I'm not the only one having a "fun" time in life lately.

...and OH. MY. GOD. Warm homemade apple cider sounds absolutely amazingly warming. That is always good for a remedy to a bad day, especially during the winter months. ...but I don't have any. So I hate you.
    Last edited by Zephik; 02-01-2008 at 09:15 PM. Reason: read the last line. yep, I hate you. lol :)
    People are stupid; given proper motivation, almost anyone will believe almost anything. Because people are stupid, they will believe a lie because they want to believe it's true, or because they are afraid it might be true. People’s heads are full of knowledge, facts, and beliefs, and most of it is false, yet they think it all true. People are stupid; they can only rarely tell the difference between a lie and the truth, and yet they are confident they can, and so are all the easier to fool.

With the shift schedule I work (6 on 6 off), my last day of work seldom lines up with real Fridays, so I'm not usually in the right frame of mind to get the Friday rants I hear from many 9-5ers. However, this time my first day off is a Friday and I understand your pain and sometimes you just need to let it off your chest. It makes you feel better, even though what you'd really like to do is shove a computer up his A$$.
    My goal in life is to earn enough money to enjoy the lifestyle that my wife and kids do.

OK, few updates, one good one bad...

On the water leak front; After searching for hours last weekend, I finally found the culprit causing the water leak... A damaged Seltzer can...
    OMFG I searched for hours under the house for any sign of a water leak. Pulled out everything from under the sink, even used a towel on a stick to see if there was water in the walls. NOTHING! I finally got frustrated and made some lunch at which time I found the culprit. A seltzer can on the other side of the room had a small pinhole in it leaking water on the floor. At least I didn't have to tear the cabinet and wall out.

As to the EVGA 680i; I got the RMA back yesterday, and ran diags overnight, found one bad stick of memory and when I went to start loading the OS, I found that the first 2 sata ports do not work. ?!?!?! WTF!?!? So now my customer is pissed that it has taken so long and has to have the box back for a trade show this weekend. They have to have the system asap so they can load their software and test the camera's...

... and everyone is upset by Asus's rma support ...

Quote Originally Posted by Zephik View Post
    Can't wait for spring, it always gets better in the spring. I guess the warm weather melts all that ice thats been building up on our souls over the winter.
    It's not the weather, it's the short skirts that make us feel better

Anyone who think a computer is sexy need to #$? and fast

Quote Originally Posted by slytherock View Post
    It's not the weather, it's the short skirts that make us feel better
    My favorite time of year is spring for this reason (not the only reason but it's up there). When I used to work in Denver, the first warm day, we would go sit in the Paramount Cafe out on the patio, slam a "Bucket o' Dog's" and watch the "scenery". Warms the soul...

Quote Originally Posted by Zephik View Post
    ...and OH. MY. GOD. Warm homemade apple cider sounds absolutely amazingly warming. That is always good for a remedy to a bad day, especially during the winter months. ...but I don't have any. So I hate you.
    BTW, don't hate me, it was cold Cider fresh from the Keg! OK you CAN hate me...