Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Defunct Spy Satellite Falling From Orbit

Default Defunct Spy Satellite Falling From Orbit

Jan 26 03:27 PM US/Eastern
    By EILEEN SULLIVAN

WASHINGTON (AP) - A large U.S. spy satellite has lost power and propulsion and could hit the Earth in late February or March, government officials said Saturday.
    The satellite, which no longer be controlled, could contain hazardous materials, and it is unknown where on the planet it might come down, they said. The officials spoke on condition of anonymity because the information is classified as secret.

"Appropriate government agencies are monitoring the situation," said Gordon Johndroe, a spokesman for the National Security Council. "Numerous satellites over the years have come out of orbit and fallen harmlessly. We are looking at potential options to mitigate any possible damage this satellite may cause."

He would not comment on whether it is possible for the satellite to be perhaps shot down by a missile. He said it would be inappropriate to discuss any specifics at this time.

A senior government official said that lawmakers and other nations are being kept apprised of the situation.
    "A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, con a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyse a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects"

Robert A. Heinlein

Default Re: Defunct Spy Satellite Falling From Orbit

Sounds like something out of a movie.
    Lets hope it doesn't land on someones house.

I'd think it burn up entering the atmosphere anyway.

Why would you think that?

Quite a few satellites deorbit and hit the Earth.

Skylab hit the Earth
    In 2002 a science satellite rained down over the Persian Gulf and that was like 7000 miles from where they said it would hit.
    Compton Gamma Ray Observatory hit the Earth
    NASA's Extreme Ultraviolet Explorer (EUVE) hit the Earth
    NASA says AURA will most likely hit the Earth but not for another decade or so.
    "A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, con a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyse a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects"

Robert A. Heinlein

Did you know skylab landed in Austrailia, the AU gov sent NASA a ticket for littering, NASA never paid it. (at least that is what the History channel said)

I think the reason satellites don't burn up is they pass through the atmospheric ceiling gradually. Remember that orbit is a tangential freefall to the earth's surface so they aren't speeding directly toward the earth, more along side it. And it will pick up speed as it passes through. Items that burn up in the atmosphere are things moving at very high speeds and slam into the atmosphere like crashing into a sand wall and boring through it. Satellites kind of tumble though it.
    "At the midpoint on the journey of life, I found myself in a dark forest, for the clear path was lost..." -Dante Alighieri

Quote Originally Posted by jdbnsn View Post
    Did you know skylab landed in Austrailia, the AU gov sent NASA a ticket for littering, NASA never paid it. (at least that is what the History channel said)

I think the Australian government should use the "Denver Boot" on the shuttle until they pay up...

I think the reason satellites don't burn up is they pass through the atmospheric ceiling gradually. Remember that orbit is a tangential freefall to the earth's surface so they aren't speeding directly toward the earth, more along side it. And it will pick up speed as it passes through. Items that burn up in the atmosphere are things moving at very high speeds and slam into the atmosphere like crashing into a sand wall and boring through it. Satellites kind of tumble though it.

Nicely worded...
    "...Dumb all over, A little ugly on the side... "...Frank Zappa...

Greco101

Like the US really has enough respect for any of our friends to actually pay up. We're like the Cartman of the world... Our friends hate us, but we don't get it.

We Don't Have A Boot As Part Of Our Law/punishment.
    Antec Sonata II | Pioneer DVR-212
    Good news! You can follow my website or follow me on twitter!

Our friends hate us, but we don't get it.
    Worse yet, our gov doesn't seem to care.

EDIT: The more I think about it, I think that is a really good analogy. We're fat, obnoxious, self-centered, pityless, we love cheesypoofs, we love to swear, hate our friends, are spoiled brats, have satellites coming out of our asses. Not bad.
    "At the midpoint on the journey of life, I found myself in a dark forest, for the clear path was lost..." -Dante Alighieri

You think that's worse.... our old PM was a Presidental Ass Kisser. The new one is yet to be seen.
    Antec Sonata II | Pioneer DVR-212
    Good news! You can follow my website or follow me on twitter!

Quote Originally Posted by crenn View Post
    We Don't Have A Boot As Part Of Our Law/punishment.