Page 1 of 9 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Storm'd!

Default Storm'd! updates

As promised STORM'D is the second in the series of plex "theme" case mods.

Storm'd is based on the newer model Sunbeam LED UV blue plex case this time and again will feature "Bolt on" type machined plex highlights as well as some Storm features to keep it t theme case

The Sunbeam case was chosen for its extra features and the fact that its main outer structure is held together using 4 solid looking metal rails...

these shiny metal rails have a great contrast against the clear plex and will fit in nicely with what i have planned.

Due to all the "one off" fabrications that need to be done with STORM'D i won't be able yo finish it as fast as PeRs-pLeXeD! but hope to have a finished product by weeks end

Sunbeam put a quality package together and you really do feel its Xmas when you get this home and open it!.....well xmas with that "ikea feel about it"!!!!

You can also see just like PeRs-pLeXeD! the main feature of the case will be its 2 dual front 120mm UV fans! this time i'm going with the purple, as this colour fits in well with the STORM theme,

NOW! @ this stage of the mod! i have 2 trains of thought about it!

the first is to use the dual 120's the other is to use Dual 80's! with 120mm outer shouds.... i will first fabricate up the 80 and shrouds as im very keen to see how this will look!

if i don't like the effect from the dual 80's then i can move onto the 120 idea.

Back to the modding

The front of the case... to give it a more appealing hevier look will get a custom laser cut outer frame. the frame will be beveled @ 45 dgree on the router and dilled with counter sunk M5 Steinless steel hex heads.

To compliment and fitin with the front theme a smaller frame will also be installed to surround a pr of counter sunk Dual custom made "defyant style " STORM RES's.

LEFT front frame RIGHT top res frame.

The finish on these custom laser cut frams is class all the way!

You can see the idea of how i want the frame to sit! the frame will still be beveled drilled countersund and flame polished again.

Last edited by jdbnsn; 02-18-2012 at 08:54 PM.

Default Re: Storm'd!

First off it's the top Res frame that gets a pimping.

The frame with the STORM RES's.

The frame will sit around the 50mm OD x 180mm STORM RES's will sit down into the top of the case and be "half in and half out"

The STORM RES frame is taken over to the router and given 45dregee outer edging

M5 SS Marine HEX heads all the way for STORM'D

Time to "cutup" the top of the Sunbeam for the STORM Res's

The STORM RES's can now sit down into the case.

The oringinal thought of joining the 2 STORM RES's was to drill a joiner hole in each, tap thread and use a brass threaded joiner......

I really wasn't happy with this look....and the fact that the brass peice moved the to res's apart to far for my liking.....

the soloution was to cut a small plex joiner drill out the holes slightly larger and then glue the joiner in.

Dammm! almost perfect !!!!

For the ends ive had 50mm x 10mm thick laser cut ends made.

These are glued on and left to sit for 10 before water-testing

The STORM RES's will need to have an in and out let! to allow the "flood gates" to flow! ")

Over to the drill press for some drilling!

back for some threading!

Some barb fitting!

and some testing on the case!

The barbs will feed back off the STORM Res'sto the pump rad and block,no external plumbing will be seen this time.

With that out of the road i really wanted to get a start on the first of the 2 front fan ideas!

The first one uses Dual 80mm STORM inlet fans these will have a customised plex hevy metal shroud around them giving the illusion of 120mm fans!

The idea was discovered purley by mistake! after cutting the hole for the first of what was going to be the Dual 120mm STORM fan bracket!

The innner circle was taken over to the router and given a good 45degree rip!

Next was to flip it over and mark the holes for the SS hexheads!

After a drilling!

Next was to do some sexy counter sinking! this time ive gone closer to the "edge" so that the tool cuts down into the side of the bevel'd edge and allows the bolts to be seen from the sides .

Testing with a spare UV green fan

And just for kiks! with some lighting effects.

Withit sitting on the facia panel i think you wil agree that the front surround add to the size of the 80mm fan and gives it amuch larger appearance.

With 2 of these i think is should look very "beefy"

D'Oh

well... i am ejoying a quality read and learn each time i check TBCS... thanks defyant.. u rule! u da best! and the grand wizard of plexi... keep 'em coming...

|Projects: =N0Name= =Tensa case= || Life: waiting for the download to be completed... BSOD"|

wow, I wish I had the tools to pull something like this off. Good luck, looks very nice just like all your mods. Good job Defyant.

I got around the making the second front Storm Vent today, i'm very pleased with the look of them as a pair!

The second one was made as the first was.

as you can see in the above pic..the sight of the original plex front panel now looks way out of place! to fix this and add a contrast to the machined plex surrounds a Smoked or tinted plex background is cut and added.

Next will be to make surrounds for the CDROM and Matrix orbital display.
    these be be a rectangle shape.

Centers are marked and cut out again in a frame'd shape.

Next! was the BIG one! beveling a 45 degree angle on the main fron frame.

This was a steady and slow effort...one slip here .......

Next is to take the frame over for some drilling and counter sinking for the hex heads.

The inner shadow panel is layed in

Storm rings added

Top frames

The idea will be that with the tinted back panel only the Storm rings outer main plex frame and smaller inner frames will light up!

should look very interesting!

D'Oh

:drooling: niiiiiiiiiiiiiice

|Projects: =N0Name= =Tensa case= || Life: waiting for the download to be completed... BSOD"|