Thread: 5.1 setup on TV

Gaming Console Modder Mitternacht's Avatar

Default 5.1 setup on TV

I got a Logitech Z-680 5.1 setup, and I'm curious if theres a possible way to hook up the 5.1 to the tv through the RCA inputs. I don't have an optical input so this is all I have to work with:

So, can I hook up 2 RCA audio cables to these 3 3.5mm jacks?

Edit: I found this but it doesnt give true 5.1 surround sound. Any ideas?

Quote Originally Posted by Crimson Sky
    I never like get into a battle of wits with an unarmed opponent.

Default Re: 5.1 setup on TV

So you want to take the RCA sound out from your TV push it through the logitech and get surround sound? Right? If I'm wrong ignore me

If yes ... Hook up the two RCA phono jacks to a single stereo mini-jack sharing the common ground between the two RCA cables with the ground of the jack (cut one off an old ipod/walkman does fine).

Then you take your stereo Jack and feed it into the logitech or thru the PC line in to the logitech and set the Dolby Pro-logic II to recreate surround sound from the two channels you have.

That will be the best you'll get because your TV is outputting two channels ... so it will never be true 5.1 - always "recreated" surround sound.

Matthew

Usually you get your audio from your dvd player or receiver. In a true 5.1/7.1 surround, only video goes to your TV. The audio is taken care of by a receiver. What are you trying to get 5.1 from? 360,PS3, Computer, DVD, etc.... ?

If you just want all the speakers to work and dont care about having true 5.1, just get one of THESE form radio shack. Just plug the single end into the headphone port on the front of your TV and the three other into the three connectors on your Logitech system.

Click here for the Battlefield 2 L.A.N. Pc worklog.

Actually I want to take both RCA audio jacks from the 360 and put them right into the Logitech system, so the audio won't travel thru the tv. And you say it won't be true 5.1 anyways? Guess I should save up for the Z-5500 since it has an optical audio port like the 360.

Quote Originally Posted by Mitternacht View Post
    Actually I want to take both RCA audio jacks from the 360 and put them right into the Logitech system, so the audio won't travel thru the tv. And you say it won't be true 5.1 anyways? Guess I should save up for the Z-5500 since it has an optical audio port like the 360.
    Then I believe the solution I provided above is the best you are going to get. Exactly the same principle applies. No it won't be true 5.1 it will be recreated by the Dolby Logic in the speaker system.

Here is the type of cable I am talking about, made out of a phono lead and an old set of headphones + scissors + tape (if you don't want it shorting). This one has been used both ways: feeding sound from a console and a tape deck to the PC and from the PC to a TV and from the PC to an amp and speakers.

Just feast your eyes the high quality finish on that connection. But she did the job very well and cost nothing

Matthew

PS I believe all the other solutions will just give you stereo sound out of all the speakers. You have to do it this way to allow the Dolby Logic to do its thang. However I don't have that speaker system and could be wrong.

PPS That speaker system, everywhere I research it does have an optical input. From: http://www.techtree.com/techtree/jsp...43&cat_id=536#

oh, I'm sorry; typo. I have the z-640, not the 680. Thanks for the help though guys! I'll get it to work that way /i guess until I get a Z-5500

XBOX 360 Manual:

Connect to a Digital Audio Optical AV System (Optional)

If you have an audio system (typically, a receiver or amplifier) that supports digital audio input, you can connect to digital audio rather than to the standard left and right audio by using the Xbox 360 Component HD AV cable, the Xbox 360 S-Video cable, or the Xbox 360 VGA video cable (all sold separately). Digital audio should produce higher-quality sound. Follow the AV cable instructions for connecting digital audio.

Sooo .... looks like you can get digital sound out by buying one of those three cables or hacking something up This is important because your Logitech speakers - I believe does not have the Dolby Prologic. Try it the other way first but this sounds to me like it delivers the true 5.1 you seek.

Matthew

edit>

DOH But no digital input ..... {{{thinking cap time}}} OK This should work: one of those cables into the digital LINE-in on your PC run the speakers as usual 5.1 from the PC and the soundcard will get the 5.1 out of the XBOX and pass it as 5.1 to the speakers.

I'm sure its possible but only hd tv broadcasts in 5.1 on probably not all of it at that.